cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use bonus on a pre-bonus transaction?

tag
AvadaKedavra
Established Contributor

Can I use bonus on a pre-bonus transaction?

I know the title is a little confusing, so I'll break it down:

I'm planning a trip next month and I'm going to be booking a hotel. I keep getting offers for Capital One Venture so I was thinking of applying for it, booking the hotel using that card (which will go towards the 3K spend), and once I meet the spend and recieve the additional miles, use the bonus to pay off the hotel I'll be booking. Will that work?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can I use bonus on a pre-bonus transaction?

@AvadaKedavra wrote:

I know the title is a little confusing, so I'll break it down:

I'm planning a trip next month and I'm going to be booking a hotel. I keep getting offers for Capital One Venture so I was thinking of applying for it, booking the hotel using that card (which will go towards the 3K spend), and once I meet the spend and recieve the additional miles, use the bonus to pay off the hotel I'll be booking. Will that work?

sadly, no. if you use the points, the hotel will have to refund your card (if they even let you) and then you'll be back at $0 spend

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, that should work. You can apply the "miles" to past purchases.

Message 3 of 6
AvadaKedavra
Established Contributor

Two different answers! Though I didn't understand the first? Why would the hotel be refunding my card?

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I misunderstood the question. Mrpotato is right
Message 5 of 6
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

I do not have this card but from experience with other cash back cards on travel purchases this should work. Kind of erase the purchase on your credit card with these points. But someone with experience with this card might give you the exact procedure. Smiley Happy 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.