cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Orchard hurt my prospects with prime cards

tag
Liz44

Can Orchard hurt my prospects with prime cards

Hi guys, I'm also new to this forum.  For the past few months I have been researching and reading these posts.  I have an OB card since 2011 and never received an increase.  I have called on several occasions and have been denied without an explanation, I sent an email to the OB CEO yesterday and have spoken to an EO representative who informed me that they would have to do a HP in order to consider an increase, also told me that the card I have is to rebuild credit and normally does not qualify for an increase but she would research and would be contacting me by Friday (fingers crossed). 

Since reading these posts I have requested an increase from my Cap1 and went from $500 to $600 not much of an increase but at least got one.  I have applied for the BarclayCard and initially was denied but called the Recon number and plead my case they approved me for $500, WooHoo!!!!.  I have also been able to get several other cards so I'm on my way to increasing my score and responsible borrowing. 

My question to you guys is by keeping the OB card open will that deter prime lenders from considering me for their cards? 

Also, I think I have hit a wall with opening new accounts I would really like to obtain an AMEX or Discover card, how long should I wait between my last new credit and applying for new credit?  Thanks for all your info.

height="50" width="50" border="0">Starting Score: CS 654 CK 630 Q 645
Current Score: CS 654 CK 630 Q 645, TU FICO 686, EQ 665
Goal Score: 700
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Can Orchard hurt my prospects with prime cards

OP, I split your post to form a new one here. I had to edit the title, but changed nothing else. If you'd like to change the title, click "Options" and then "Edit Message".

Message 2 of 17
atarvuzdar
Established Contributor

Regarding the question of whether having an Orchard card would hurt your chances with prime cards:

I know on my credit reports my Orchard card shows as Capitol One now, just like my other two Capitol One cards, so I don't think having an Orchard card would hurt you now (if it ever did before, like having an FP could hurt your chances with AMEX).

Good luck!

FICO 8: EQ 846 / TU 836 / EX 832
AMEX Platinum / BofA Cash Rewards Visa Sig $99,900 / Chase CSR $43,400 / Citi Double Cash $39,600 / AMEX EveryDay $30,000 / Discover It $26,000 / Gemini $25,000 / JetBlue $25,000 / Chase Freedom Unlimited $22,500
Message 3 of 17
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

Now that it is Capone, there is less likelihood of that.

For a CLI you should simply wait until the conversion and then it will be a soft pull, or so they say.  They might change that later, who knows it is Capone!

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 4 of 17
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

You have to start somewhere...a lot of people here started with HSBC/Orchard Bank and FP.  I think after showing a decent amount of positive history with either, who you have credit with matters less and less.    

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 5 of 17
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

IME, I was approved for prime cards like Amex, Discover, PNC, mortgage and others with the then-OB and then-HSBC TLs reporting (pre-CapOne takeover). Nobody cared they reported.

ETA...IMO, wait a year between apps. That'll improve your odds and you'll have a higher score in the process.

Message 6 of 17
p-
Valued Contributor

Liz44 wrote: My question to you guys is by keeping the OB card open will that deter prime lenders from considering me for their cards? 

To my knowledge the scoring algorithms don't distinguish between subprime and prime cards, as long as they are unsecured.  That's not to say an underwriter wouldn't make an assumption if they saw it.  But closed cards stay on your report for ten years, so closing it wouldn't help you.

Since Capital One bought them out most of us have seen the name on our CR change from Orchard to Cap1.  At the very least you should keep it open long enough for that to occur, if it hasn't already.

My personal plan is to wait for the transition to be complete, and ask the EO to upgrade the card to a Green Cash or World MC.  Then instead of a closed subprime, any nosy underwriter will see my oldest card is a prime high limit.

As far as chances with prime cards; I hold a Amex Unicorn card, one of the most prestigious and difficult to obtain, as well as a Chase Freedom Signature.  When talking to the recon reps at chase, at no time did they mention my Orchard card as a negative.  My starting limit with Orchard was 300 in 2008.  I don't think it will hurt your chances.

Message 7 of 17
Liz44

That's awesome!  Definitely gives me hope.  I have been working on my credit pretty hard as well.  But I went on an app spree the last two months and did pretty well for myself now I just need to figure out how to stop myself from submitting any new apps.  The last one I tried was last week for the Discover it card, sadly declined due to one baddie and excessive inquiries according to the rep when I called to recon. Smiley Sad  I must stay away from applications and good deals for the next 6 to 12 months.

height="50" width="50" border="0">Starting Score: CS 654 CK 630 Q 645
Current Score: CS 654 CK 630 Q 645, TU FICO 686, EQ 665
Goal Score: 700
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 8 of 17
asphaltcowboy
Valued Contributor

Welcome to the forum, I don't know how long you have had your accounts,

best to garden for awhile, especially the Barclay'sSmiley Happy

Starting Score TU 667 EQ 663 EX 655
Current Score TU 778 EQ 776 EX 781 Last Update 4/2016
Garden Club 04/10/2013
Message 9 of 17
somnipotent
Frequent Contributor

My orchards showed up as HSBC and they have since been closed.  They never affected my ability to obtain the cards I desired.  My denials are usually due to too many inquries.

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx Costco ($8.2K) | AmEx Delta Gold ($19.3K) | AmEx BCE ($5K) | Chase United Explorer ($10K) | Chase Sapphire Preferred ($7.5K) | Chase Freedom ($8.2K) | Discover it ($3K) | Capital One Quicksilver ($2.5K) | PayPal Extras ($2.5K) | Lowes ($3.3K) | Walmart ($4.3K) | Amazon ($2.5K) | Restoration Hardware ($8.8K) | Crate & Barrel ($8.3K)
--
Homeowner since 05/29/13
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.