Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can They Do It The Day After?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can They Do It The Day After?

So, I applied to Fidelity Amex, last Thursday, got the "30 day wait.." That's fine, kind of normal for this card..."  They pulled EX, fine too.  However, I check my MyFico alerts now and find that on Friday, the day after my application, they did another hard pull of my credit , this time TU.

Can they do that?  I authorized them to pull my credit ON THE DAY of the application, period, not that day, plus any other day while you make up their minds!

Anybody with any useful info or advice about this?  Thanks.Smiley Mad

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
s_haliz
Valued Contributor

Re: Can They Do It The Day After?

@Anonymous wrote:

So, I applied to Fidelity Amex, last Thursday, got the "30 day wait.." That's fine, kind of normal for this card..."  They pulled EX, fine too.  However, I check my MyFico alerts now and find that on Friday, the day after my application, they did another hard pull of my credit , this time TU.

Can they do that?  I authorized them to pull my credit ON THE DAY of the application, period, not that day, plus any other day while you make up their minds!

Normally credit card lender pulls CR from one agency (EX, EQ, or TU). However we had users here who got pulled from either two or all three agencies. I am not aware of any rule that would mandate them to pull only from one agency and prevent to pull from all agencies. No experience on Fidelity AMEX so can't comment on that specifics.

Keep in mind it cost them to pull HP each time they pull from each of the agencies. So normally they only do multiple pull when they need some verification.   

TU FICO 850 | EQ FICO 850 I EX FICO 850
Message 2 of 12
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Creditors can pull multiple for borderline siutations and your application doesn't bind them to a specific day.  It's for the application, not the day.

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@takeshi74 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Creditors can pull multiple for borderline siutations and your application doesn't bind them to a specific day.  It's for the application, not the day.

So, you are saying that if I make an application I am hostage for 30 days to them hard pulling me from all the bureaus, at their discretion?  That takes all the control the individual would have to apply for loans during a month since they would have no knowledge or control over what they financial data will look like.  It doesn't make any sense.

If, like Capital One, they did 3 HP, the same day, I wouldn't like it, but I can understand that.  But, I don't believe just because you make an application you become subject to financial information uncertainty for 30 days...

Message 4 of 12
s_haliz
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@takeshi74 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So, you are saying that if I make an application I am hostage for 30 days to them hard pulling me from all the bureaus, at their discretion?  That takes all the control the individual would have to apply for loans during a month since they would have no knowledge or control over what they financial data will look like.  It doesn't make any sense.

If, like Capital One, they did 3 HP, the same day, I wouldn't like it, but I can understand that.  But, I don't believe just because you make an application you become subject to financial information uncertainty for 30 days...

If I am not mistaken, it is a law where by lender has to inform applicant within 30 days. Now that's max timeframe. In most cases they do inform yes/no well before that. 

TU FICO 850 | EQ FICO 850 I EX FICO 850
Message 5 of 12
keithB
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@takeshi74 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So, you are saying that if I make an application I am hostage for 30 days to them hard pulling me from all the bureaus, at their discretion? 

If that's how you wish to look at it then yes.

Message 6 of 12
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

id call them today and get the app finalized if it's not already... they seem to do these more manual but should be worth it once open!

Message 7 of 12
CreditUnionFan
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It's up to the issuer, but they can pull all three bureaus if they wanted to. Most issuers only HP from one bureau, but others may use two if the application is borderline. I remember at one point Toyota Financial would pull TU first, and if the score met one criteria, but not what they needed, they would pull a second, and then repeat for a third, and if your third report was high enough, they would write the loan.

I had a similar discussion with GECRB about that a couple of times, after receiving preapproved mailers and they pulled EQ a few days apart. They said they were "reconsidering" the application during the 30 day window, and that the inquiry was valid. Rebuffed, I just took the second HP and waited for the two years for the extra HP to fall off on its own. FWIW, if you do a recon with an analyst reviewing the report, they will likely see the nearly duplicate inquiries and if the number of inquiries was the reason for the initial decline, you may end up approved on recon.

I was going to garden... Honest!
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditaddict wrote:

id call them today and get the app finalized if it's not already... they seem to do these more manual but should be worth it once open!

Ha, ha, ha!  I am not surprised that your concern is solely on me getting the card, and thank you for that.  HOWEVER, both of us have different "sensitivities" for HPS (you don't care, I do!!!).  

You see, I was one month away from not having a single inquiry on my TU for a whole year.  And that's going to be ruined over this?  I've been a BofA banking client for years, a credit card client for two years, and they pulled my FICO EX 775 and that was what?  BORDERLINE?  I don't see how.  Why did they have to ruin my TU blank inquiry report?!?  

One more thing, I applied to Fidelity LESS than an hour before someone posted here about the new CIti card,, had I only waited ONE hour...  Anyway, WHY CAN"T I GET A BREAK?!?Smiley Sad

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

CreditUnionFan wrote: 

I had a similar discussion with GECRB about that a couple of times, after receiving preapproved mailers and they pulled EQ a few days apart. They said they were "reconsidering" the application during the 30 day window, and that the inquiry was valid. Rebuffed, I just took the second HP and waited for the two years for the extra HP to fall off on its own. FWIW, if you do a recon with an analyst reviewing the report, they will likely see the nearly duplicate inquiries and if the number of inquiries was the reason for the initial decline, you may end up approved on recon.

Thanks for the information, but I am still pissed...:Smiley Frustrated

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.