cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can You use Income and assets from overseas to obtain Credit in the US ?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can You use Income and assets from overseas to obtain Credit in the US ?

My father is a US citizen but lived most his life overseas . He's pretty wealthy over there but has zero income and assets here in the US . Can he use any of his foreign assets to obtain credit here ? he comes to visit every once in a while and wants to get an Amex . He had a couple Amex cards in the early 90's but he closed them a long time ago . I checked his cretit report from annualcredit.com and its completely clean .

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
1GaDawg85
Valued Contributor

Re: Can You use Income and assets from overseas to obtain Credit in the US ?

If I remember correctly, you have the ability to transfer any history from overseas AmEx accounts to US AmEx accounts. You would need assets in the US to be able to apply for credit here though 

FICO 5 ,4, 2 - 10/2023                            FICO 8 - 10/2023                                   FICO 9 - 10/2023                                   FICO 10 - 10/2023

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Amex cards he had were from here . He lived in the US for a while but moved overseas about 15 years ago , so all his credit hitory is gone .

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

The only income he has here is some type of retirement fund that pays him $800 a month . I doubt thats enough to get a decent credit card . 

Message 4 of 16
1GaDawg85
Valued Contributor

Gotta have more than that here.

FICO 5 ,4, 2 - 10/2023                            FICO 8 - 10/2023                                   FICO 9 - 10/2023                                   FICO 10 - 10/2023

Message 5 of 16
rlx01
Established Contributor

No you don't. Especially for Amex.

If he's a US citizen then he's filing US tax returns with world wide income.
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not really the same situation but back in Europe I used to bank with ING and had a €15,000 personal LOC. When I moved stateside I asked ING if they would honor that LOC. They didn't. And yes, this was way before they were taken over by Capital One.
Message 7 of 16
1GaDawg85
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Not really the same situation but back in Europe I used to bank with ING and had a €15,000 personal LOC. When I moved stateside I asked ING if they would honor that LOC. They didn't. And yes, this was way before they were taken over by Capital One.

I didn't think you could use overseas assets to count towards assets here 

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't think so too but asking can't hurt.
Message 9 of 16
newhis
Valued Contributor

I think you can. I haven't seen a form that say that only if you get paid or have money in the USA you can get a credit card.

There are a lot of temporal visitors in the USA that have credit. As long as you say you can pay, and keep paying, the banks don't have problems giving you credit.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.