cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a merchant see my personal info after a swipe?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can a merchant see my personal info after a swipe?

Just curious if a merchant can see my personal information (name, address, phone, anything) after swiping my credit card; on receipt, daily charge report, etc.

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Can a merchant see my personal info after a swipe?

@Anonymous wrote:

Just curious if a merchant can see my personal information (name, address, phone, anything) after swiping my credit card; on receipt, daily charge report, etc.

Nope, just your name along with the card number and expiration date. 

On merchant reports, the card number is usually truncated so the entire card number isn't viewable later (generally, anyway).

Some merchants have used data mining to get additional information on their credit card customers, but this is from outside sources, not the credit card itself.  Some companies have reportedly used the name on a credit card combined with the zip code (when they ask at the register) to determine the probable address of a customer for marketing purposes. 

Then there's Target, who is in a league of their own...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2012/02/16/how-target-figured-out-a-teen-girl-was-pregnant-before-her-father-did/

Message 2 of 24
Kutuzov
Frequent Contributor

That will explain why years ago, at around 2010, I received Target baby/pregnancy catalogs, and even got solicitors calls about a baby. No one was pregnant, except my wife and I helped a friend having financial trouble and bought her some of that kind of staff, as I paid with my cc they thought it was someone in my household. Anyways we did use some of the coupons!

The most wire part was a couple of telemarketers asking how was the baby ... my last kid was born years before that and my oldest was 7,  and I did not related the other shopping with the calls.

Gardening since 03/25/2016. Discover FICO 705 (4/21/16).
Discover It 2000, Barclay Ring 7100, Capital One QS 7000, Amazon sc 6000, Chase AARP 2500, Barclay Rewards 500
Message 3 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is one reason I never give out my zip, email or phone number to anyone.  I don't give out my phone number ordering online, either.  If they ask for your zip prior to you swiping your card, you know it's for marketing purposes.

Message 4 of 24
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

This is one reason I never give out my zip, email or phone number to anyone.  I don't give out my phone number ordering online, either.  If they ask for your zip prior to you swiping your card, you know it's for marketing purposes.

Yeah, rather than argue about it, I tend to just make one up.  When it comes to phone numbers, it just depends on where I am, and what kind of mood I'm in. 

There have been times I just give out Jenny's number... usually the person behind the register is too young to recognize it.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah, rather than argue about it, I tend to just make one up.  When it comes to phone numbers, it just depends on where I am, and what kind of mood I'm in. 

There have been times I just give out Jenny's number... usually the person behind the register is too young to recognize it.  Smiley Very Happy

LOL!  Good one.

I don't argue about it.  I just say no.  Sometimes I get the deer in the headlight look because most just give out whatever they are asked for.  Sometimes they'll ask again.  I only had a real problem with it once.  The cashier at Khol's insisted she couldn't scan any of my items without it because the computer woudln't let her.  I said no again so she called a manager over.  I said you can proceed without my zip or I'll shop somewhere else.  She insisted the computer won't allow any scans of items without a zip.  I picked up the shoebox and scanned it myself.  See it worked.  They were both ticked off.  Then she asked if I wanted a Khol's credit card.  I said no and she started up again.  She left me alone after I said "what part of no do you not understand".  That store is so pushy.  Target is, too. 

Message 6 of 24
Kutuzov
Frequent Contributor

Well back then I did have a Target Redcard, so it would be easy for them to track my spending. On a side note I never give my cellphone number, other than friends, family and job. Recently I opened a second checking at my bank. The lady that opened it, was very pushy about getting the number, and even went as far as to in the case of someone doing a fraudulent withdrawal they would need to call me, I plain told her that's the bank security problem not mine, I would just need to file a complaint if the bank failed to restore the money. She stopped asking. Back in the day when telemarketing went off the hook, I sued a couple for TCPA violations, since then my house phone is pretty silent ... never got a soliciting call on my cellphone, other than scammers, which I talk to them as mucr as possible, after a while they hung up and don't call back. My favorite topic when I get someone from India calling is a trip I'm planning there, the weather what places he/she recommends, etc. they get frustrated and hang up on me ...
Gardening since 03/25/2016. Discover FICO 705 (4/21/16).
Discover It 2000, Barclay Ring 7100, Capital One QS 7000, Amazon sc 6000, Chase AARP 2500, Barclay Rewards 500
Message 7 of 24
kuku4koco
Frequent Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I am TOTALLY gonna start doing this!!! Hahaha!!! Smiley Very Happy

EQ: 731 TU: 705 EX: 715

Cap1 QS: 9k USBank: 7k Amex BCE: 14.1k BoA: 8k Discover: 4.4k CareCredit: 12k *Various Store Cards: 18.7k
Message 8 of 24
kuku4koco
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

LOL!  Good one.

I don't argue about it.  I just say no.  Sometimes I get the deer in the headlight look because most just give out whatever they are asked for.  Sometimes they'll ask again.  I only had a real problem with it once.  The cashier at Khol's insisted she couldn't scan any of my items without it because the computer woudln't let her.  I said no again so she called a manager over.  I said you can proceed without my zip or I'll shop somewhere else.  She insisted the computer won't allow any scans of items without a zip.  I picked up the shoebox and scanned it myself.  See it worked.  They were both ticked off.  Then she asked if I wanted a Khol's credit card.  I said no and she started up again.  She left me alone after I said "what part of no do you not understand".  That store is so pushy.  Target is, too. 

I love love love THIS!!! HAHAHA!!!

Cap1 QS: 9k USBank: 7k Amex BCE: 14.1k BoA: 8k Discover: 4.4k CareCredit: 12k *Various Store Cards: 18.7k
Message 9 of 24
kuku4koco
Frequent Contributor

@Kutuzov wrote:
Well back then I did have a Target Redcard, so it would be easy for them to track my spending. On a side note I never give my cellphone number, other than friends, family and job. Recently I opened a second checking at my bank. The lady that opened it, was very pushy about getting the number, and even went as far as to in the case of someone doing a fraudulent withdrawal they would need to call me, I plain told her that's the bank security problem not mine, I would just need to file a complaint if the bank failed to restore the money. She stopped asking. Back in the day when telemarketing went off the hook, I sued a couple for TCPA violations, since then my house phone is pretty silent ... never got a soliciting call on my cellphone, other than scammers, which I talk to them as mucr as possible, after a while they hung up and don't call back. My favorite topic when I get someone from India calling is a trip I'm planning there, the weather what places he/she recommends, etc. they get frustrated and hang up on me ...

HIL-AR-IOUS!!!!!!

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.