Established Member
JerseyJeff84

Can adding someone on my credit card help their credit score?

[ Edited ]

My girlfriend/eventual fiance is inexperienced as far as credit and has no history other than cell phone payments. If I added her as an authorized user to a couple of my CC's, would that help her credit score when I make my monthly payments, or would that only help if we had a joint account?

MarineVietVet

Re: Can adding someone on my credit card help their credit score?

JerseyJeff84 wrote:

My girlfriend/eventual fiance is inexperienced as far as credit and has no history other than cell phone payments. If I added her as an authorized user to a couple of my CC's, would that help her credit score when I make my monthly payments, or would that only help if we had a joint account?

Adding her as an AU can help IF the account is older than any of hers, IF the payment history is long and clean, IF the utilization is very low, and IF it will report to the CRA's. Not all cards will do this. You need to ask the company first. She will inherit the entire history of this account. One caveat however; if this account starts to go south your credit will be affected as well. Keep that in mind.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802
EQ - 7/06-663, 3/10-800
TU - 8/10-772
You can do the same thing with hard work

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}