cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can adding someone on my credit card help their credit score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can adding someone on my credit card help their credit score?

My girlfriend/eventual fiance is inexperienced as far as credit and has no history other than cell phone payments. If I added her as an authorized user to a couple of my CC's, would that help her credit score when I make my monthly payments, or would that only help if we had a joint account?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Can adding someone on my credit card help their credit score?

@Anonymous wrote:

My girlfriend/eventual fiance is inexperienced as far as credit and has no history other than cell phone payments. If I added her as an authorized user to a couple of my CC's, would that help her credit score when I make my monthly payments, or would that only help if we had a joint account?

Adding her as an AU can help IF the account is older than any of hers, IF the payment history is long and clean, IF the utilization is very low, and IF it will report to the CRA's. Not all cards will do this. You need to ask the company first. She will inherit the entire history of this account. One caveat however; if this account starts to go south your credit will be affected as well. Keep that in mind.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802
EQ - 7/06-663, 3/10-800
TU - 8/10-772
You can do the same thing with hard work

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.