Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can an annual fee just be added on?

tag
scarrollprint
Frequent Contributor

Can an annual fee just be added on?

I have a cap 1 no hassle rewards card that when I apps an received the card, there was no AF. I was very diligent at the time to make sure it just wasn't an intro $0 AF either before aping.

I just got a score alert that my balance had posted and that my score dropped 2 points due to a balance on my card. I had paid it off and SD it jut to make sure I had 0% util on it this month. So obviouSly when it said I had a balance I checked.

When I went and looked at the statement online, they added a $39 membership fee literally just as it posted putting my 300 cl at over 10% which is NOT what I wanted at all.

Can they just add an AF without posting it in plain English on the membership agreement? I never carry a balance more than a couple bucks and use te card heavily always pig long before the statement closes so I have a feeling asking to get it removed and then my reports updated is a lingshot.

Anyone else have this happen to them?

Can I request a copy of the original membership agreement from them or am I just going to get one that shows an AF?

Current: Eq- 624 Ex - 631 (lender pulled) TU - 661 (lender pulled)
Goal 700+ across all three
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

Re: Can an annual fee just be added on?

I belive there is only an af for that card. And you should show a bal on your cr so it shows use. And that you can handle it well. This came into play with a few recons saying they like ny useage and some banks dont like seeing a $0 bal post.

Sent from phone
AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Total Credit Limits: $122,650
Message 2 of 12
JonStur
Established Contributor

I would definitely call customer service...

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 3 of 12
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

+1   Contact customer service, however with that amount it sounds like a credit steps card.  They do carry an AF after the first year I do believe.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 12
jsucool76
Super Contributor

The only way to get those kinds of cards with no AF is if they send you a special mail offer. Otherwise almost all of their "average" cards have an annual fee.
Message 5 of 12
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

They had 2 versions of that card, one with $39 fee (average credit)  and one with $0 (excellent credit).    .    

Message 6 of 12
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

+1 wolf.

Problem is...if you dont have the original cardmember agreement, they can send you whatever one they want to now.... Lol Call them and dispute it with the CRAs.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 7 of 12
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

I'm pretty sure that card has an AF. $300 CL means average credit version = most certainly an AF.

Message 8 of 12
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

@Wolf3 wrote:

They had 2 versions of that card, one with $39 fee (average credit)  and one with $0 (excellent credit).    .    

My guess is that op APPLIED for the zero AF version, but got APPROVED for the AF version with first year waived. With a 300 limit, I can't imagine op met cap 1 criteria for excellent" credit. Op makes several references to confirming no AF BEFORE applying, but none to confirming with T&C after accepted. This still happens with the jimmy Fallon card, where people apply for the excellent credit version, but get approved for the average credit version.

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 9 of 12
migliogiorni
Established Contributor

talk to CSR they may be able to waive it.  Like others have stated it sounds like the average credit version so if you get it waived this time, you won't get it waived next year, GL.

BOA: 8.9k
CSP: 5k
Discover: 5k
Citi TY Preferd: 5k
Wally: 5k
JCP: 4.9k
citiForward: 4.7k
ChaseFreedom: 4.5k
DFS: 2k
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.