Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anybody answer this question?

tag
Percy
Regular Contributor

Can anybody answer this question?

I apped for a Best Buy RZ MC yesterday... i got approved for 300 dollar limit with 59 dollar annual fee..... I want to cancel it due to the annual fee...... is this bad? what are your recommendations? i want to cancel and get a Bank of America Secured or 99/500.... and use that one instead...... any ideas?
Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33
DI
Super Contributor

Re: Can anybody answer this question?

It seems you may be trying to improve your credit, and currently not qualified for prime cards.    I say keep the card, and see if your can get the $59 AF waived after one year.  Wait six months before applying for the BOA 99/500 cards.  That card may come in handy if you have to cancel to Best Buy card if they're not willing to waive the AF after one year.  Unfortunately, when one is trying to rebuild/build  credit they have to deal with subprime lenders.  Take care of the BB card and get your scores up.  After one year check your scores to see if its high enough to qualify for a prime card. Good luck!
Message 2 of 34
Percy
Regular Contributor

My scores right now are....

Transunion  : 686   Equifax : 667   Experian : 675

I had a Macy's Visa, Amex Blue, Citi Bank Platinum Select....

All of those were canceled due to after paying them off in fulll..... they sent me cancellation notices stating that they were canceled due to serious delinquincy but its all over 4 yrs old...

Citi Bank Platinum Select i opted out for due to rate jack from 6.7 to 29.9

Oh u said... call them after 1 yr to see if they can waive off the 59 dollars? i spoke to the lady, and she told me that they charge me the 59 dollar fee when i get my card..... not after 1 yr.

Message Edited by Abester000 on 10-06-2009 08:44 AM
Message 3 of 34
DI
Super Contributor

@Abester000 wrote:

My scores right now are....

Transunion  : 686   Equifax : 667   Experian : 675

I had a Macy's Visa, Amex Blue, Citi Bank Platinum Select....

All of those were canceled due to after paying them off in fulll..... they sent me cancellation notices stating that they were canceled due to serious delinquincy but its all over 4 yrs old...

Citi Bank Platinum Select i opted out for due to rate jack from 6.7 to 29.9

Oh u said... call them after 1 yr to see if they can waive off the 59 dollars? i spoke to the lady, and she told me that they charge me the 59 dollar fee when i get my card..... not after 1 yr.

Message Edited by Abester000 on 10-06-2009 08:44 AM

So all of your prime cards are cancelled?  I wouldn't have applied for the subprime card at all.  I would have waited until the lates fall all, and applied for prime cards in about two years. Although the scores you listed are not FICO scores, they're not that bad.  You should give yourself two years before applying for new credit, and leave the subprime cards alone all together.  

I do understand you will be charged an AF when you receive, and perhaps activate the card.  I was referring to calling before the next time you are hit with an AF to get it waived.  

Do you have any types of installment loans reporting?  Installment loans will improve your scores too.  You need a mixture of credit to maximize your FICO scores. 

Message 4 of 34
Percy
Regular Contributor

They are..... equifax and transunion are from here..... experian is from experian website.(dnt know about the experian one).

No i dont have any installment loans.... so i shouldnt have a credit card now... and just apply for a prime on in 2 years? 

Message Edited by Abester000 on 10-06-2009 09:01 AM
Message 5 of 34
DI
Super Contributor

@Abester000 wrote:
They are..... equifax and transunion are from here..... experian is from experian website.(dnt know about the experian one)

Ok.  Your scores are not bad at all.  Continue to let the lates age another year.  Hopefully by then your FICO scores will be in the 700's and you can get prime cards again.  It took my 5 years to go from 544 to today's scores. 

Message 6 of 34
Percy
Regular Contributor

so should i cancel the sub prime card period? or keep it and let it age?

Message Edited by Abester000 on 10-06-2009 09:24 AM
Message 7 of 34
GregB
Valued Contributor

Don't cancel any more cards. You need the history and open credit lines. You are stuck with the AF. Try to get it waived before the next one.

Message 8 of 34
DI
Super Contributor

@Abester000 wrote:
so should i cancel the sub prime card period? or keep it and let it age?

Keep it and let it age.  Try to get the AF next year waived if you need to keep it open.  Try applying for a prime card before the next AF is due next year.

Message 9 of 34
Percy
Regular Contributor

the only cards i do have active right now is:

Positive Open and Closed Accnts.

Nordstrom - 2000CL  - 0 Balance

Express Fashion - 880CL - 0 Balance

Neiman Marcus - 750CL - 0 Balance

Macy's Store Card - 300CL - 0 Balance  (This Account is showing 4 Lates in 05)

AMEX - CLOSED - 1000CL - 0 Balance

Macys Visa - CLOSED - 2500CL - 0 Balance

Citi Platinum Select - CLOSED - 2500CL - 1650 Balance ( CARD OPTED OUT paying off at 6.7% to show payments on 1 card)

Negative Accnts

Capital One Charge Off due to fall off in 4/2012   (This is showing 15 lates in 05)

Message 10 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.