Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone join USAA??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can anyone join USAA??

USAA is specifically for people who make a sacrifice that 99% of the population will never do and that is joining the armed forces. I am very happy that USAA is only available for specific people. My car insurance with them is better than you can possibly imagine. Everybody wants to be a part of USAA, well do what I did 13 years ago join the military and the you can become "full" members. The way I see it everyone should be thankful that you can even bank with them, because they really are one of the best banks in america

Message 11 of 39
MidnightOwl
Regular Contributor

Yes, you can join USAA. I joined in June of this year & I'm not in the military. The only products a non-military member can't get is auto & home insurance. Also, you can apply for a credit card with them but, it can't be their secured card because it's a pilot program and it's only given to military members but, you can apply for their regular unsecured credit cards. So, in a nut shell, you qualify for all their banking products except the insurance & secured card that I mentioned. I called USAA last week just to clarify their stand on the secured card issue & the CSR assured me that they will only issue them to military members now. They said they are well aware that some people were able to sneak in a application who aren't military but, they are putting a stop to it. I opened a checking & savings account the same day that I got USAA-CCMP. I have no problems with USAA, they have been pretty good to me. The CSR did tell me that they may open up the secured card program to everyone soon.

Message 12 of 39
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@MidnightOwl wrote:

Yes, you can join USAA. I joined in June of this year & I'm not in the military. The only products a non-military member can't get is auto & home insurance. Also, you can apply for a credit card with them but, it can't be their secured card because it's a pilot program and it's only given to military members but, you can apply for their regular unsecured credit cards. So, in a nut shell, you qualify for all their banking products except the insurance & secured card that I mentioned. I called USAA last week just to clarify their stand on the secured card issue & the CSR assured me that they will only issue them to military members now. They said they are well aware that some people were able to sneak in a application who aren't military but, they are putting a stop to it. I opened a checking & savings account the same day that I got USAA-CCMP. I have no problems with USAA, they have been pretty good to me. The CSR did tell me that they may open up the secured card program to everyone soon.

Last time I checked I did not fit any of the criteria. I do not live in Texas or work for any organization that is an eligibility. Maybe you can tell me how I can join cause it doesn't seem open to the general public at all.

Message 13 of 39
MidnightOwl
Regular Contributor

I live in Delaware so, trust me, you qualify. Call USAA & ask a CSR for a member number so you can obtain their credit monitoring service, once you get the member number you can apply for a checking & savings account. You have to have a member number which they will give you once you call them. Like I said on my other post, I opened a checking & savings acct. after they gave me the member number. My original plan was just to use their monitoring service but, once I found out I was allowed to obtain their banking products I went for it. As I said earlier, the only things you won't be able to get is the home & auto insurance or their secured card but, you qualify for their regular credit cards. I know it seems strange that the secured card is limited to military only but, if your credit is ok you shouldn't have any trouble getting 1 of their cards. I was going to apply for their card but, I got into Navy Federal CU when they did the merger with USA fed & I decided to open up a credit card account with Navy instead Call them & get a member number & you should be fine. It doesn't matter where you live to get their banking products..

Message 14 of 39
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Might just do that. Thanks.

Message 15 of 39
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

USAA is specifically for people who make a sacrifice that 99% of the population will never do and that is joining the armed forces. I am very happy that USAA is only available for specific people. My car insurance with them is better than you can possibly imagine. Everybody wants to be a part of USAA, well do what I did 13 years ago join the military and the you can become "full" members. The way I see it everyone should be thankful that you can even bank with them, because they really are one of the best banks in america

I understand what you're saying, and I'm a happy USAA member, qualifying as a then-dependent of a career Army officer. He died of service-connected conditions, as did my uncle, also a career Army officer. I am eternally grateful for their service, and I am very aware of the sacrifices that they made.

During the last few years, USAA has cautiously expanded its membership to include those who haven't served in the armed forces. (And I'm also delighted that they now invite all those who have been in uniform, whether officers or warrant officers or enlisted.) Non-military members don't have access to the full range of products, and the same is true for those who qualify via non-traditional means (parents of members, etc.) But they are being invited in by USAA.

This thread is meant to help those who might be eligible through these alternative means. As USAA has decided to welcome these people in, I do so as well.  Smiley Happy

Thank you for your service.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 16 of 39
Itsmeagain
Established Contributor

LAZ and Smallfry,

You are most certainly eligible.  I joined last year and received the largest CL yet . . . . $14,200.  I also have checking and savings.  Here, I have copied the information from the link USAA Eligibility: https://www.usaa.com/inet/ent_utils/McStaticPages?key=why_choose_usaa_eligibility_main

Scroll down and click on "Other Individuals".

Other Individuals

USAA's investment products, most checking and savings products, credit cards, life insurance, and shopping and discounts are available to other individuals. While auto and property insurance policies are not available due to membership eligibility requirements, we can still help.

The following products are available to other individuals:

Product Availability Insurance Banking Investments Shopping and Discounts
  • Life insurance
  • Auto insurance not available through USAA. Please call 1-888-870-8096.
  • Property insurance not available through USAA.
  • Checking and Savings
  • Checking for Teens and College Students
  • Youth Savings
  • Certificates of Deposit (CDs)
  • CD IRAs
  • Prepaid Card
  • Credit Cards
All products
All products

Starting Score: TU 737 EQ 721
Current Score: TU 741 EQ 741
Goal Score: TU 765 EQ 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 17 of 39
laz98
Senior Contributor

Itsmeagain wrote:

LAZ and Smallfry,

You are most certainly eligible.  I joined last year and received the largest CL yet . . . . $14,200.  I also have checking and savings.  Here, I have copied the information from the link USAA Eligibility: https://www.usaa.com/inet/ent_utils/McStaticPages?key=why_choose_usaa_eligibility_main

thanks.  i do belong to USAA, & so does my gf, but she doesn't qualify for anything except checking & savings, it seems.  every time she tries to apply for something else (even if we aren't really trying to apply, just to test it out), she gets that same @#$% error saying she is not eligible.  i emailed USAA about it yesterday; i'm waiting for a response.  i myself won't app for any of their products until my baddies come off my reports.

Message 18 of 39
Itsmeagain
Established Contributor

@laz98 wrote:

thanks.  i do belong to USAA, & so does my gf, but she doesn't qualify for anything except checking & savings, it seems.  @every time she tries to apply for something else (even if we aren't really trying to apply, just to test it out), she gets that same @#$% error saying she is not eligible.  i emailed USAA about it yesterday; i'm waiting for a response.  i myself won't app for any of their products until my baddies come off my reports.

That's bizarre.  If you don't receive a satisfactory answer, I would just call.  Their CSR's seem knowledgeable and friendly.  After all, it DOES state that anyone is eligible for their CC products.

Please keep us informed.

IMA

Starting Score: TU 737 EQ 721
Current Score: TU 741 EQ 741
Goal Score: TU 765 EQ 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 19 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this the message you get?

Thank You for Your Interest

This product or service is unavailable due to eligibility requirements, state or foreign restrictions, or other information drawn from your Personal Profile.

If you have a permanent U.S. address or have recently returned to the United States, try updating yourPersonal Profile. This may enable you to establish new accounts or obtain online quotes and applications.

Let us help. We offer exceptional products, great rates and award-winning customer service.

Message 20 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.