Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone join USAA??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can anyone join USAA??

She may just need to have her SSN added as well as any other personal information.

Message 21 of 39
laz98
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Is this the message you get?

Thank You for Your Interest

This product or service is unavailable due to eligibility requirements, state or foreign restrictions, or other information drawn from your Personal Profile.

If you have a permanent U.S. address or have recently returned to the United States, try updating yourPersonal Profile. This may enable you to establish new accounts or obtain online quotes and applications.

Let us help. We offer exceptional products, great rates and award-winning customer service.

i thought i had replied to this....looks like i never did!

yes, that's the message i get.  at any rate, we aren't going to bother with usaa anymore.  when they emailed me back, they gave me some generic message saying she was only disqualified from insurance products.  they didn't address the error at all.  we'll go with navy federal now that we are in.

Message 22 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@laz98 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Is this the message you get?

Thank You for Your Interest

This product or service is unavailable due to eligibility requirements, state or foreign restrictions, or other information drawn from your Personal Profile.

If you have a permanent U.S. address or have recently returned to the United States, try updating yourPersonal Profile. This may enable you to establish new accounts or obtain online quotes and applications.

Let us help. We offer exceptional products, great rates and award-winning customer service.

i thought i had replied to this....looks like i never did!

yes, that's the message i get.  at any rate, we aren't going to bother with usaa anymore.  when they emailed me back, they gave me some generic message saying she was only disqualified from insurance products.  they didn't address the error at all.  we'll go with navy federal now that we are in.

After fighting with them for a long time through messages, emails, and phone calls, the closest I came to an answer was that I can apply for credit products and I am not excluded, however they will never "offer" my pre-selected products, so the "my offers" tab will always say I am not eligible.  I successfully applied for a credit card (twice) and was denied (but NOT because I wasn't eligible) Smiley Very Happy

Message 23 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

wow you are pretty full of yourself even for a narcissist. Yes I served, that doesn't make me better than anyone else (or you for that matter).

Message 24 of 39
fused
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

wow you are pretty full of yourself even for a narcissist. Yes I served, that doesn't make me better than anyone else (or you for that matter).

Who are you directing your comment at? Please keep your posts friendly, supportive and respectful.

Message 25 of 39
JagerBombs89
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Made me lol... Registered on the forum just to make that comment Smiley Very Happy

Message 26 of 39
Gray
Regular Contributor

Those who choose to serve in the military should do so for their own personal gratification.  I don't consider those individuals any more or less important than a school teacher, policeman, fire fighter, civil servant, or doctor.  We all play an important part in protecting and maintaining our society and country.

USAA is not a benefit for military families.  USAA is a company whose mission is to provide services to military families *and* others.  Anyone can get a USAA bank account, CD, credit card, mutual fund, brokerage account, life insurance, and annuity.

Message 27 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gray wrote:

Those who choose to serve in the military should do so for their own personal gratification.  I don't consider those individuals any more or less important than a school teacher, policeman, fire fighter, civil servant, or doctor.  We all play an important part in protecting and maintaining our society and country.

USAA is not a benefit for military families.  USAA is a company whose mission is to provide services to military families *and* others.  Anyone can get a USAA bank account, CD, credit card, mutual fund, brokerage account, life insurance, and annuity.

Not entirely true.

USAA is a company whose mission is to provide full benefits and services to members of the military family and limited services and benefits to others.

I am not sure about life insurance or brokerage accounts, but those who are not P&C qualified cannot, under any circumstances obtain auto, property or other types of casualty insurance.  There is also a significant difference between credit card interet rates, limits and even, I have heard, rewards programs for those who are part of the military family and those who are not.   

Message 28 of 39
Gray
Regular Contributor

As someone who has used most all of USAA's services for 20 years, auto, life, banking, credit, property, buying, etc, I would not consider USAA's services as "benefits" any more than I consider the services of any credit union a "benefit."  They're effectively a nonprofit (returning profits to the insured) business that is principally focused on military families.

USAA's rates are influenced by the duration, debth, and breadth of one's membership.  If I am a 20 year car insurance holder, with a $1M life insurance policy, an 18 year credit card, and 15 years of banking services, I'm probably going to get better rates than someone who just phoned in a credit card application with no relationship.  Incidently, the preceding characteristics are true for me and I do have very good rates.

At the same time, I know others who have no military relationship who are with USAA and have below advertised rates as well.  Again, depth, breadth, and duration.

Message 29 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gray wrote:

As someone who has used most all of USAA's services for 20 years, auto, life, banking, credit, property, buying, etc, I would not consider USAA's services as "benefits" any more than I consider the services of any credit union a "benefit."  They're effectively a nonprofit (returning profits to the insured) business that is principally focused on military families.

USAA's rates are influenced by the duration, debth, and breadth of one's membership.  If I am a 20 year car insurance holder, with a $1M life insurance policy, an 18 year credit card, and 15 years of banking services, I'm probably going to get better rates than someone who just phoned in a credit card application with no relationship.  Incidently, the preceding characteristics are true for me and I do have very good rates.

At the same time, I know others who have no military relationship who are with USAA and have below advertised rates as well.  Again, depth, breadth, and duration.

Whatever way you want to spin it, there is a significant difference between what USAA offers those in the military family and those outside of the family. 

Message 30 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.