cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can apartment rent in California be paid with credit card?

tag

Can apartment rent in California be paid with credit card?

This may be a dumb question but just wondering....

Can rent on an apartment in California (LA) be paid with a credit card?

I know a cash advance would be an option, albeit a very bad one, but I didn't know if

some larger scale apartment complexes allowed credit card payments or not.

Obviously renters in Los Angeles would best be able to answer this question!

Thank you to all who reply!

Message 1 of 39
38 REPLIES 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can apartment rent in California be paid with credit card?

I'm leaning towards NO, i highly doubt it!  I will say this though most Apartment complexes are individually owned or privately owned so if there policy is to accept a credit card payment then it is possible.

Message 2 of 39
steve23111
Frequent Contributor

I understand that there are a "few" apartment communities out there that have started accepting electronic payments, but can't cite specific sources on that.

There is a service out there that specializes in electronic rent payment called "William Paid."  If your specific community does not participate, it might be worth dropping a note to the property manager with the suggestion.  It's been a while since I read the details, but I do not believe it costs the landlord anything to use the service.

Message 3 of 39
Datx
Valued Contributor

It just depends if the apartment or property accepts CC payments. Here in TX, some apartments offers an option for you to pay by CC, while others dont. The apartment im currently at now offers echeck, or CC payment options. But of course it comes with a fee. They tack on additional 3.5% of the amount you're paying when using a CC.

Message 4 of 39

Thanks to everyone for the great information!

Hopefully when I make the move I can do enough searching to find a place to my liking.

Message 5 of 39
bribro
Valued Contributor

My apartment community allows credit card rent payments, but they charge a flat $35 fee that would exceed the benefit of any CC rewards program I have.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 6 of 39

Bribro, what do you mean by the $35 fee not being worth paying by credit card?

I guess I just don't understand the correlation between a rewards redeeming card and a small fee with the payment of monthly rent.

Message 7 of 39
steve23111
Frequent Contributor

@heytherehitherehothere wrote:

Bribro, what do you mean by the $35 fee not being worth paying by credit card?

I guess I just don't understand the correlation between a rewards redeeming card and a small fee with the payment of monthly rent.

Unless your rent is $3500/month or more, then most credit cards (with the typical 1% cash back or points value) won't make enough in rewards to offset the $35 fee.

Message 8 of 39
Crashem
Valued Contributor

You can use williampaid.com, but there are fees.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 9 of 39

With that site, if a landlord of a complex isn't involved with it, is it still do-able? I'm looking at the site now and it says the landlord

wouldn't have to register or anything. Which is curious to me because if I decide to rent an apartment and the landlord says

only "check or cash"...how does this williampaid.com handle that?

Message 10 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.