cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can bank close the credit card if HELOC in the same bank goes to foreclosure?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can bank close the credit card if HELOC in the same bank goes to foreclosure?

Let's say the property that the HELOC was taken out on goes through foreclosure and there is not enough to cover the HELOC. I also have a checking account and a credit card in the same bank. I would have enough to keep paying the HELOC. Can I do that? If not, would the bank close the credit card as well as clean out the checking account?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Re: Can bank close the credit card if HELOC in the same bank goes to foreclosure?

Go talk to the bank.  Which bank is it?
Message 2 of 5
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Re: Can bank close the credit card if HELOC in the same bank goes to foreclosure?

It is quite likely. Make sure you empty the bank accounts if they have right of offset.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bank of America... What if my credit card is not maxed out and I'm not behind on payments, always pay more than minimum?

Message 4 of 5
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Bank of America... What if my credit card is not maxed out and I'm not behind on payments, always pay more than minimum?

They can close your CC at any time for any reason; A major derog, particularly an internal one is a very good reason.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.