Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can being an AU hurt me?

tag
primechicken
Contributor

Can being an AU hurt me?

I'm planning on shooting for the 3x Amex CLI next week. It occurs to me that about a month or so ago I had my girl add me as an AU on her Cap One card to strengthen utilization a little (not that I really need it much). My AAoA is already pretty short, so I don't know that it matters much. But will it show as a 'new account' and hurt my chances of getting approved? And if so, is it too late to have my AU status removed? Or should I just chill out?

I got some cards with some credit limits. Some are better than others.
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Can being an AU hurt me?

What's the status of the Cap One card? Util, when was it opened? CL?
Message 2 of 18
primechicken
Contributor

500 CL. 160 balance. Third statement on it should cut around next week. So pretty new.

Message 3 of 18
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Tbh, I'm not sure what benefit a new cc with a $500 CL would have done. Util wise any real bal would discount the reason you may have thought it would help. Without knowing your current util without this cc, I would remove myself.
Message 4 of 18
primechicken
Contributor

The balance will be zero in two days. Does that make a difference? And if I were to remove myself right now, would it show by next week when I CLI on the BCE?

Message 5 of 18
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

What is your overall util? Do you know when Amex SPd you? The cr would have to update the new information before it would make a difference. You have already taken the hit on your AAOA, is your util high? Are you carrying a bal on your Amex?
Message 6 of 18
primechicken
Contributor

I actually just right now paid off the balance on the Cap One card, so it's zero now. Balance on Amex is about 175/1500 but will be PIF in two days and before I call next week. Overall util is around I'd say 5-7% but will be between 0-1% when I call next week. Not sure when Amex last SP review was. I ran the Amex balance way up into the 1200 dollar range but PIFed it and since kept it low for last 3-4 weeks. So I've given the card some decent use and reigned it back in.

Btw I just now logged into my Sam's account and my CL says 3500! Was 1500. Now that's my new highest! Didn't even ask for it!

Message 7 of 18
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Before you request an CLI, I would find out when they SPd you- that's the cr they will be relying on for your request.

Good luck
Message 8 of 18
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 9 of 18
primechicken
Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
Before you request an CLI, I would find out when they SPd you- that's the cr they will be relying on for your request.

Good luck

Well I know they hit me up sometime in April around mid-month. Problem is, even if I find out when they SPed me, I don't know exactly what my report looked like on that particular day, ya know. Short of monitoring this stuff daily and making notes about the activities of this and that account, I'm not sure how a person could even benefit from knowing when they were SPed. Ya know what I mean? Overall I'm pretty responsible with my accts. Util is almost always around 5% or lower and I never carry a balance into the next statement period. Anyway, I appreciate the feedback and I'll keep ya posted. Shooting for next Wednesday. I may try to work on finding out when last SP snapshot was meantime.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.