Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can cc's do this???

tag
aav
Established Contributor

Can cc's do this???

Short story - my husband made a payment to my acct the day it was due and miskeyed his account information. As a result the company reversed the payment, charged a dishonored payment fee, and pulled my credit - a hard pull.

With Dretails

Four days ago before work, my husband informed me that my credit card payment was due that day. I had already paid all my bills and didn't have the money for it, so he made the payment from his bank acct. Today I received an alert from credit sesame about a hard pull on my Transunion report. What? 

I called about the inquiry and said an acct manager didn't have a record of the inquiry. It would have to show up for them to investigate. And the inquiry was automatic from their system. No phone call or notice to me. While on the phone the acct manager mentioned that I had a $25 dishonored fee because hubbys payment didn't go through. What? she said maybe acct info got keyed in wrong. I could get the fee waived once the acct was uptodate.  I hung up and we each immediately made a payment to the acct. When I was trying to make the payment through his bank acct, his bank option was blocked. I.'m not sure how he made a payment but we both made payments.

Later in the day I receve 2 other alerts during the day for the same inquiry, and I'm thinking maybe his payment will be rejected again and fined so I called again put the payments have to post first..

Talked to an acct manager who says the inquiry was due to the payment not going thru it would have to go through his manager on Monday. I did not authorize a credit inquiry!      

I asked for the supervisors name and number to make sure they follow through on Monday.

Can they do this? I haven't looked at TOS but am really bummed that a simple miskey can affect me for the next two years. 

EQ - 834 TU - 823 EX - 822
Amex NPSL Amex BCP - 25,000, Amex EDC - 12000, Diner's Club Premier -35,000, Ritz Carlton - 22,500 Discover 25,100, Chase Reserve -31,000 Total Rewards 13200, Barclay 10000 Citi Diamond P 8,900
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Can cc's do this???

Hopefully it works out and they reverse the HP 

However doesn't happen much but YES any lender you have a relationship with can HP you at any time and for any reason they so see fit 

You gave them that right when you accepted the terms and accepted their CC/Loan 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

With an existing relationship they can SP you anytime they want, but surely would need your consent in order to HP you - and usually only when you had asked for more credit or were applying for a new card.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, they can HP you. Very unusual but technically they can. Returned payments are a big deal to lenders because it usually is more serious than misentered acct info - it can even be fraud.

When you talk to the supervisor, try really hard to be polite and understanding. I know it's aggravating but they may be willing to remove the HP and waive the penalty fee if you point out the payment was made and the returned payment was just an accident. If you get flustered or angry they may shut you out for fear of legal action etc.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hm, I learned something new then.

https://www.transunion.com/corporate/business/clientresources/permissible-purpose.page agrees that they would seem to have a permissible purpose to pull your credit under these circumstances, but I haven't heard of it happening under similar circumstances before today.

Message 5 of 9
aav
Established Contributor

Thank you for the wise information. I so hope they understand and will remove. I have time to cool off between now and Monday. I am wondering the purpose for pulling my report anyway. The payment was not late. It was a simple error that could have been cleared up with a a phone or email.

I guess pulling the report would be to determine if there are any credit problems on my repor but couldn't a soft pull do that? I'm very passionate about my credit score and am a little heartbroken that so much hard work can be erased with the stroke of a key, If you have any advice on what to say, please lmk.

It's diner's club, by the way which scares me a little bit. I think I remember some issues when they started issuing cards last year and hp's were an issue.
Amex NPSL Amex BCP - 25,000, Amex EDC - 12000, Diner's Club Premier -35,000, Ritz Carlton - 22,500 Discover 25,100, Chase Reserve -31,000 Total Rewards 13200, Barclay 10000 Citi Diamond P 8,900
Message 6 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@aav wrote:
Thank you for the wise information. I so hope they understand and will remove. I have time to cool off between now and Monday. I am wondering the purpose for pulling my report anyway. The payment was not late. It was a simple error that could have been cleared up with a a phone or email.

I guess pulling the report would be to determine if there are any credit problems on my repor but couldn't a soft pull do that? I'm very passionate about my credit score and am a little heartbroken that so much hard work can be erased with the stroke of a key, If you have any advice on what to say, please lmk.

It's diner's club, by the way which scares me a little bit. I think I remember some issues when they started issuing cards last year and hp's were an issue.

If it's your BMO Diners Club Premier card, definitely see if it can be resolved by a supervisor.  Typically, from what I've read, if any anomaly occurs on your Diners account, they can HP - just part of their risk algorithms.  They are a different kind of animal vs Chase, Barclays or Citi.  Just be prepared in the event they are unwilling to remove the inquiry so as long as your internal history with them remains unaffected.  Because, if BMO Diners had closed this card, there would be no way to get it back.

When individuals were hit with adverse action (unrelated to your situation) complaints to the CFPB did not impact BMO and decisions stood - almost like a pebble hitting a battleship.

Message 7 of 9
aav
Established Contributor

Thank you for the responses. Diner's wouldn't pull the inquiry. It is their policy to pull any time they see an irregularity. I wis they had done a soft pull instead. But the people I spoke to were very kind. I called back today and even though it is generally not their policy, they used the same credit report and were able to increase my credit line to35k. I know it would have been more. I requested 10k, but they would not include my hubby's income. I remember when I applied they did ask for spouse income, but they said no to that. I'm happy that my credit score was not effected and I did get a bump in the CL.

Message 8 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@aav wrote:

Thank you for the responses. Diner's wouldn't pull the inquiry. It is their policy to pull any time they see an irregularity. I wis they had done a soft pull instead. But the people I spoke to were very kind. I called back today and even though it is generally not their policy, they used the same credit report and were able to increase my credit line to35k. I know it would have been more. I requested 10k, but they would not include my hubby's income. I remember when I applied they did ask for spouse income, but they said no to that. I'm happy that my credit score was not effected and I did get a bump in the CL.

Hey, at least you got a CLI out of it so not a bad outcome after all!  What was the original CL on the Premier before CLI?

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.