cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can creditors deny you credit just because you've disputed a bill in the past?

tag
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

Re: Can creditors deny you credit just because you've disputed a bill in the past?

@agforfree5 wrote:

@-Wade- wrote:

@agforfree5 wrote:

@-Wade- wrote:

@agforfree5 wrote:

Hi

So I had a legitimate incorrect charge that was disputed and credited back to me on my AMEX charge card. I had never thought of this before, but does disputing charges reduce my "credit worthiness" in the eyes of AMEX or other CC companies ?

I have been a perfect on all my credit cards since re-building and now I am worried that disputes would adversely affect when applying for new cards or CLIs.

I apologize if this has been answered in the past, but I have been researching for a while on here and can't seem to get an answer.

Thanks in advance.

It will not have any affect Smiley Happy

Thanks for the quick reply, but why do you say that ?

Let me ask you this, Was this a dispute with AMEX ???

Yes, an AMEX dispute

anyone can make a mistake, but they will not hold a dispute against you. You have no worries for doing a dispute

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 11 of 18
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

Re: Can creditors deny you credit just because you've disputed a bill in the past?

I agree...i misread at first (apologies)

I agree with Wade you should have no issues with AMEX due to disputing a bill.

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 12 of 18
agforfree5
Contributor

Thank you both!
Message 13 of 18
TheFate
Established Contributor

Creditors can deny you credit for just about any thing they choose to.

Will they? Depends on the lender

Message 14 of 18
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@TheFate wrote:

If it's an internal dispute the other lenders will never see it Smiley Happy  If you have a clean file (so so DTI ) and a pretty good score they will not deny you in most cases

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 15 of 18
TheFate
Established Contributor

@-Wade- wrote:

@TheFate wrote:

If it's an internal dispute the other lenders will never see it Smiley Happy  If you have a clean file (so so DTI ) and a pretty good score they will not deny you in most cases

Thats a good point to mention

Message 16 of 18
irrational
Frequent Contributor

And, as far as Amex denying you because you've disputed charges on your other Amex, I highly doubt that. Unless your disputing all types of stuff, it's a feature Amex is happy to over you. I've disputed silly stuff like $5 postage I didn't feel USPS honored, up to a $100 wallet I felt I'd been scammed on. Amex has your back, and won't hold those against you.

Current Score: TU (discover) 720 - 6/29/14 | EQ (score watch) 777 - 7/19/14 - Last App 7/21/14

NPSL          |      $27,600         |      $15,000      |      $7,000      |     $2,800     |      $11,000    |      $13,530      |      $5,200
Message 17 of 18
sexy_kitten7
Regular Contributor

@-Wade- wrote:

@TheFate wrote:

That's actually not true, oddly enough. Certain banks and CRAs report merchant disputes in addition to balance and payment info.

For example, I have Capital One "DRG" remarks for May and August 2013 on my TU CR.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Credit-Report-Remarks-quot-DRG-quot/td-p/23604...

Quicksilver MC / Amazon.com / Better Balance Rewards Visa / Freedom / Dividend / Quicksilver Visa / Cash+ / Thank You Preferred / Blue Cash Everyday / Better Balance Rewards MC / BankAmericard HRC Cash Rewards / It / Arrival / FlexPerks / Platinum AAdvantage / MileagePlus Explorer / LifeMiles
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.