Did you mean: 

Can gas cards provide an "in"?

tag
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Can gas cards provide an "in"?

@ptilda wrote:

Can gas cards provide an "in"?

They can but you already have a bunch of "in's" in your signature and you need to work on building those versus getting more.  Again, quality, not quantity.  As stated previously you already have a number of store cards and a gas card is basically a store card.

@colinstu wrote:

A gas card isn't going to be easier to get approved for compared to their other "low end" non-gas credit cards, not to mention the rewards are WEAK. 

+1.  Build and you can put getting a card with decent gas rewards as a goal.

Message 11 of 17
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

All great advice here!!!! Seriously, listen to themSmiley Happy don't be like me and get soooo excited for being approved that you go on a spree and get approved for 5 freaking store cards in one day, one being a gas card I can't use, lmao!!!.

Believe me, it's easy for everyone to tell you to garden, but 11 store cards is more than enough. We will garden together, and I would get rid of the catalog cards like Romans, WW etc.... Just use your others and gardenSmiley Happy I've already got my hands slapped too, lol!!!Smiley Wink
Message 12 of 17
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

How old is your oldest credit card?

You need to garden, and also work on optimizing your credit score by paiying all cards in full before the statement dates, all except one card which you try to let less than 10% report, but not zero.

Normally i would suggest applying for the Sallie Mae Rewards mastercard. But if your cards are all new, and you have a lot of inquries in order to get those cards, Barclays isn't going to look favorably on that. At least 6 months of no inquries and no new credit lines, and then the Sallie Mae might be achievable. And/Or a Discover IT.

Aim for Bank cards. Cornering the market on store cards with toy limits isn't the way to go.

Edit: whups, I didn't see that you already have a Discover IT. I didn't realise they gave those out with that low of a limit...

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 13 of 17
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Is that discover it the secured it?
Message 14 of 17
ptilda
Established Contributor

It's secured.

My error was in underestimating my own credit. I didn't think I'd get a regular CC, so I applied for the easy cards (Wally, Amazon, Kay, Jared) to set somethng up. THEN realized I was in the mid-high 600s. Too late, I already had a bunch of hits, so I got the Cap1 unsecured, and the other 3 are secured. I could have put more on them, but only had limited funds and didn't want several grand in secured cards.

So... I can add deposits to the AeroMexico and the Cap1 secureds, not the DiscoverIT. I'll do that each month or so to build up the limits. Will probably ditch the Express card in a few months in favor of one of the 500 store limits & maybe ditch another 250 store card too. Not sure how that will affect me.

This is a later-on sort of thing I'm planning. At least 4-6 months out since my cards are new as of November.

I think all the advice makes sense. I'll nurture my current cards (and maybe prune a bit) and then apply for a couple others once my CC limits average $1k or more each.

Thanks!

My Wallet:Fidelity Amex $1K, DCU $3.9K, US Bank AeroMexico $300, Quicksilver $1.3K, Cap1 secured MC $750, DiscoverIT $200, Care Credit $5K, Sportsman Guide Visa $3K, Kay $3K, Jared $3K,American Airlines CC $3K, Amazon $2.9k, Walmart $2.2k, Macy's $800 revolving/$5k furniture, Comenity retail cards $5.55kStarting Score: 618Current Score: 711
Message 15 of 17
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@irrational wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

How about Chevron or 76 gas... They are GE and you already have GE so probably good to get approved.

But is that what the OP is asking? Will having a Chevron/76 Card get her 'in' with a MC/Visa type cc?

What will get you 'in' is preparing your CR's for those type of cc's.  Apping for random ccs, stacking up inq's and lowering your AAOA for store like cc's is not wise IMO. 

+1

The OP already has an "in", and that's having existing revolving lines of credit. With 11 store cards though, the OP might want to consider pruning some of them and letting the others age.

After some time, major banks will enjoy seeing your established store cards and be more open to extending a traditional CC to you.

It would be unwise to close any cards that have no AF, and are in good standing you have paid the price, aged out a TL at least if not took the INQ as well. They will continue to age, and help with AAoA as OP adds prime cards. people with only 3 or 4 cards get a rude awakening when they add a couple new cards and there AAoA tanks along with there score. Having a few extra cards is worth it and will strenthen his report over time, yes I have TOO many store cards but when I added my latest card the AAoA only dipped one month, I expect adding 3 more cards in the next 2 months as they report should only be a couple months untill I am back at 2 years of AAoA where I am now. Most will slowly grow, and some will grow fast if you show then modest spend and perhaps will graduate to VISA, MC, or discover cards.  And they will be a reminder that yes the approval looks nice, but do you really need another $300 store card?

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 16 of 17
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@ptilda wrote:

I've recently been denied for both Citi and Chase. Primarily because of lack of established CCs and too many inqs, but either way, I'd like to have the option to get cards with them in the future.

Anyone know if it would benefit me to get a BP (Chase) or Shell (Citi) card in a few months in order to establish myself with those companies? I would likely use the cards for their rewards, particularily the BP Pump Rewards Visa.

do some seriously gardening for 6 months let those seedlings sprout you may get a couple CLI's on the store cards. At that point you might want to apply with a rebuilder major credit card perhaps another Cap1 or other card  that is for rebuilders. Serously leave the prime cards alone you don't want to saddle your self with a $500 CL prime card that doesn't grow for years. there is no difference from a $500 prime card and a $500 rebuilder card, New cards usally get there starting limit  based on your current starting limits, unless they are impressed with you and want to be your primary card will they want to offer you a bit higher than your major credit card highest CL.  Credit is a marathon, I hated when I applied for a prime card and was denied, I had a clean history no lates and only badies were 5 years old, but since most of my cards were under a year they denied me, gave it 6 more months and got a card with a 3k limit and now 24 months later they gave me a 10k CL on my CSP that I just AP'd for.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.