cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can i ask for CLI After i got AUTO CLI'd? Is it wise?

tag
Techno
Contributor

Can i ask for CLI After i got AUTO CLI'd? Is it wise?

Both my amazon and discover got increased automatically, discover from 2.5k after 3 months

and chase from 2.5k to 3.5k after a year ( was denied increase on this one 5 months ago)

Is it wise to ask for a cli on any of those or how is it viewed by lenders?

i know it's okay to ask every 6 months lets say with chase and every 4 with discover, but if i got auto increased whitin those periods of time should i still ask?

Also after getting denied SP increase from discover how long till i can ask for another one if they remove luv button.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can i ask for CLI After i got AUTO CLI'd? Is it wise?

Congrats!
Message 2 of 10
MT936
Established Contributor

You shouldn't because creditors usually have a time limit between credit limit increases. So you would have to wait around 6 months for the next
Amex Blue Cash Everyday: $25,000 | Navy FCU Cash Rewards: $25,000 | Discover It: $20,500
Chase Freedom: $12,500 | Citi Double Cash: $10,000 | Bank of America Cash Rewards: $8,000

Message 3 of 10
flan
Regular Contributor

@Techno wrote:

Both my amazon and discover got increased automatically, discover from 2.5k after 3 months

and chase from 2.5k to 3.5k after a year ( was denied increase on this one 5 months ago)

Is it wise to ask for a cli on any of those or how is it viewed by lenders?

i know it's okay to ask every 6 months lets say with chase and every 4 with discover, but if i got auto increased whitin those periods of time should i still ask?

Also after getting denied SP increase from discover how long till i can ask for another one if they remove luv button.

I asked for, and got, a SP increase from Discover the week after they gave me an auto one. (And, when I did it, I misread the form. Where you put the increase you want, I put the new limit.  While I didn't get that much, I did get more than I was planning on asking for.)  At the time, I was using the card heavily, and had used ~90% of the lmit (and pif, after statement cut) for a couple months in a row. 

I think their rules are a request every 90 days. 

Message 4 of 10
wmweeza
Established Contributor

Different bank, but BofA gave me an auto CLI to $2700, the next day I requested my first ever CLI to $5400, approved. Now I'm not sure how different lenders approach this, but that's my experience

Last App 10/14. FICO's: AMEX Ex 846, BarclayTU08 815.FAKOs:CreditKarma 775,CS score 771.BofA 5400,Target $5000,Barnes $8500,Amex $22k
Message 5 of 10
pip3man
Valued Contributor

I never gotten an auto CLI but in April I got a mediocre increase manually from CapOne, then this July I went back again and requested another increase which they approved by only a small fraction of the total amount I requested. I think it all varies by lender tho...

Message 6 of 10
keithB
Established Contributor

Go for it!!!! Nothing ventured, nothing gained!!!

Message 7 of 10
OHWWCB
Regular Contributor

Will they only grant CLI if you've at some point been near your credit limit? I doubt I will ever charge $6000 in one month on a card but that doesn't mean I don't eventually want those cards to be five figure limits.

Hilton Honors $15,000 | AMEX Green | Chase Sapphire Preferred $9000 | Discover IT $6600 | Marriott Premiere Rewards $5000 | Chase Freedom $5500 | Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards $2000 | CapitalOne Quicksilver One $2000 | US Airways Dividend Miles $2400
Message 8 of 10
Brax
Frequent Contributor

Yes, I did this with Discover. I got an auto-CLI from 2100 to 2500. Then I called up shortly thereafter and was given a SP increase from 2500 to 6500.

Message 9 of 10
Techno
Contributor

Did the same as you man, soft pulled got denied asked 3000 to 6500, how long till i can ask for another one? they removed luv button for me, and i understand with discover it's always soft pull so maybe i should ask for lets say 4k or hold it off since they didn't even counter offer, have to say i have many cards above 8k so that's not unreasonable also for my income, but can they redflag me for asking 2nd time(after a few days)  or should i wait a certain amount of time.

Thanks for the responses everyone, it's a matter of YMMV as some of you did get and some of you didn't. 

any advice on my situation?

transiunion on 736 util on discover card is 12%

highest to date is 20%

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.