cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can my store cards become visa or mastercard?? Help?!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can my store cards become visa or mastercard?? Help?!

I have several store cards that offer Visa or Mastercard cards as well. I wonder if they will ever automatically switch me over or if I have to close and reapply later. For example, Meijer, Old Navy, Toys R Us..to name a few.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Can my store cards become visa or mastercard?? Help?!

They are by invitation only, and you can't ask for the upgrade. How long how you had those cards? If you're offered the upgrade, Its usually within 18mo of opening the card most times, and you'll know because when you log on to your acct online it will pop up, or you'll get a letter in the mail.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have several store cards that offer Visa or Mastercard cards as well. I wonder if they will ever automatically switch me over or if I have to close and reapply later. For example, Meijer, Old Navy, Toys R Us..to name a few.

Unless you want to use a card for everyday spending (and with 668-685 FICOs you probably have better options) is there really anything to gain from having a V/MC instead of the store-only version?

Message 3 of 5
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Unless you want to use a card for everyday spending (and with 668-685 FICOs you probably have better options) is there really anything to gain from having a V/MC instead of the store-only version?

+1

I certainly understand seeing the upgrade as an 'accomplishment', but before getting carried away with exitement at the thought of an upgrade I would take a good look at the benefits of the MC/V 'dual-cards' versus the regular store version.

With the notable exception of the Sam's Club MasterCard, the upgraded version of many store cards aren't that impressive when compared to a 'regular' cash rewards card.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

+1
Only store Card I keep around are ones that offer 0% financing and with synchrony the ones who do that offer it with both store Card and the Visa MasterCard

Does anyone know if dualCard counts as a revolving bank card? I have been declined in the past for too many bank card accounts.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.