Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can/should I upgrade?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can/should I upgrade?

I am needing some advice.  I am trying to increase my credit score after some baddies a few years ago.  Been making payments on time, etc for about 2 years now.  I recently had only 1 type of credit line (Cap One $750 CL).  After they recently told me I couldn't get a CL increase after soft inquiry (big surprise...), I deceided to get my name in the AMEX arena.  So I applied for and just today got my AMEX Green Charge Card.

My question:  With my AMEX Green Charge card they sent me today, they also sent me a  "You have been selected to apply for the AMEX Gold Charge Card" mail.  Would it be possible for me to call AMEX and get them to upgrade my Green card account to Gold, even though I literally received the Green Card 30 minutes ago?  I would like the Gold card as I feel it is more prestigous, and if I am diligient on payments, will look great for building my credit score back up.  I one day want a AMEX Credit Card.

So, will it hurt me to ask for an upgrade?  It's not like my average age of accounts will take that big of a hit since I just received the Green card itself.  I am just wondering if this is just a scam by AMEX to make me pay 2 annual fees, and they have no intention on letting me have "just one Charge card".

Sorry for rambling.  Any advice is appreciated!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
LilNYC
New Contributor

Re: Can/should I upgrade?

Fyi- credit reports don't specify which Amex card you have- Gold card is indistinguishable from a Green card on a credit report. If the only reason you want to upgrade to the gold is bc you think it will look better on your credit reports then it's pointless. What was the bonus offer Amex offered you on the Gold? Also, unless you plan on using the concert pre-sale tickets avail to Amex Gold members there's no diff b/w green & gold aside from $30 diff in AFs.

If you already activated the green card Amex is prob going to tell you that you can't upgrade for another 12 months bc of the CARD act since the gold has a higher AF.

Citi Thank You $13,200 - Chase Freedom $3,100 - AMEX Zync NPSL (init. ability $17.5K) - Citi Forward $7,000 - AMEX BCP $6,000 - USAA Rate Adv $15,000 - USAA World MC $12,000 - Discover More $4,000 - Amex Hilton Honors $4,500 - Amex SPG $2,000 - Barclay's Priceline Rewards $6,400 - Chase Sapphire Pref. $7,500

EQ: 794. TU: 704. EX: 755
Message 2 of 6
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I am needing some advice.  I am trying to increase my credit score after some baddies a few years ago.  Been making payments on time, etc for about 2 years now.  I recently had only 1 type of credit line (Cap One $750 CL).  After they recently told me I couldn't get a CL increase after soft inquiry (big surprise...), I deceided to get my name in the AMEX arena.  So I applied for and just today got my AMEX Green Charge Card.

My question:  With my AMEX Green Charge card they sent me today, they also sent me a  "You have been selected to apply for the AMEX Gold Charge Card" mail.  Would it be possible for me to call AMEX and get them to upgrade my Green card account to Gold, even though I literally received the Green Card 30 minutes ago?  I would like the Gold card as I feel it is more prestigous, and if I am diligient on payments, will look great for building my credit score back up.  I one day want a AMEX Credit Card.

So, will it hurt me to ask for an upgrade?  It's not like my average age of accounts will take that big of a hit since I just received the Green card itself.  I am just wondering if this is just a scam by AMEX to make me pay 2 annual fees, and they have no intention on letting me have "just one Charge card".

Sorry for rambling.  Any advice is appreciated!

They love the Annual Fees, the bigger the better.    I think you can upgrade easily, but I suggest only do it because the perks, rewards are worth it.

I dont think the "prestige" value is any different or worth much for that matter. .

Message 3 of 6
xiownthisplacex
Frequent Contributor

AMEX doesn't allow a PC if you haven't had it for at least 12 months, you need to wait to PC.

Keep paying your AMEX on time and in January apply for another if you'd like. AMEX backdates so your AAoA will get better and not worse. And like Lilnyc said, doesnt matter which AMEX you have, they will all appear the same on credit reports, so get something you will need and use.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone for the advice.  I was planning to just use my Green Card for a year or so then go for Gold, but I may just keep my Green Card for a year or two then go straight for an AMEX Credit Card (opposed to Charge cards).  I had a feeling it was just a "this guy liked the charge card, let's offer him another one and see if he'll bite", looks like that is the case.

I guess I'll keep on keeping on my righteous path toward Credit redemption.

Message 5 of 6
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.