cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone help clarify something for me please?

tag
tj88

Can someone help clarify something for me please?

How is it that I received a denial letter on a credit app showing a TU score, which is significantly lower then the TU score I pulled here on myFico?

I thought the scores pulled here are the 'true' FICO scores (what the lenders see) and any others we pull elsewhere are FAKO. There is a 33 point difference.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
flowfaster
Established Contributor

Re: Can someone help clarify something for me please?

The TU scores are both correct. The score you get here is a TU98. The score most lenders pull is a TU04 I believe. They just use different algorithms to determine your score. IMHO you should actually focus on the content of your report rather than worry about the 1000+ different FICO scores that are out there.
Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 2 of 10
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

@tj88 wrote:

How is it that I received a denial letter on a credit app showing a TU score, which is significantly lower then the TU score I pulled here on myFico?

I thought the scores pulled here are the 'true' FICO scores (what the lenders see) and any others we pull elsewhere are FAKO. There is a 33 point difference.

Thanks.

Well first, make sure the score from the letter is an actual TU Fico Score (300-850 scale). Then remember there are 3  different TU Fico score versions TU98 (the one you get here). TU04 (the one most commonly used by lenders and one you cannot buy) and TU08 (obtain from Walmart and a newer version not used by many lenders). Second, there is also a "bankcard auto-enhanced" Fico score that some banks use (e.g Merrick Bank). A few versions out there so its hard to tell which one they used.

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 3 of 10
distantarray
Established Contributor

myfico gives you a Fico08 score, most lenders use Fico04 .

Equifax here is the Fico 04 score 

Fico 08 is more lenient on scoring so you'll often have a better score on TU08 vs TU04

also not all lenders use Fico system but use a internal scoring system. If the scoring was not based on 300-850 scoring then it's a fako score.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 4 of 10
flowfaster
Established Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

Fico 08 is more lenient on scoring so you'll often have a better score on TU08 vs TU04

also not all lenders use Fico system but use a internal scoring system. If the scoring was not based on 300-850 scoring then it's a fako score.

I thought myfico was TU98 not TU08.   I thought Walmart was TU08.  

Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 5 of 10
Elcid89
Contributor

What I do:

Once per year, I have the loan officer at Navy Federal pull a trimerge. It costs me $11 for all three reports and I get a true lending FICO from all three bureaus.

FICO 04 scores: 809 (EQ) 812 (EX) 818 (TU)

Amex Platinum NPSL - Citi HHonors Sig. $58k - BMW Ultimate $40k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
NFCU Flagship Signature $50k - USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 6 of 10
Simply827
Established Contributor

@flowfaster wrote:

@distantarray wrote:

I thought myfico was TU98 not TU08.   I thought Walmart was TU08.  

Correct

Starting Score: 515
Current Score: EQ08 711 EX08 731 TU08 735
Goal Score: 740+

Amex BCP $25k | Discover IT $15.7k | Cap 1 QS $10k | PSECU $10k | Citi DC $9300 | Citi DP $6800 | Barclay Ring $6500 | PayPal Extras MC $5045 | DCU $5000 | Chase Slate $5000 | Barclays AA $4100 | Chase Freedom $4000 | Union Plus $1000 | Target $500
Message 7 of 10
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

@Elcid89 wrote:

What I do:

Once per year, I have the loan officer at Navy Federal pull a trimerge. It costs me $11 for all three reports and I get a true lending FICO from all three bureaus.

Same here except she charges me 20 dollars. I should have pulled one last month but in the garden now so have to resist temptation (especially when im dying to know what my EX Fico score is at the moment).

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 8 of 10
tj88

Thank you all so much! Those explanations make sense to me now. I do recall reading about the various scoring systems.

I am not focused entirely on my score, I am trying to understand how it all works together. I have addressed the issues on my report that need addressing, but would also like to make sure I know how things should improve as I clear up my issues. However, I do find it kind of funny to see a statement about not focusing on score, when I see so much bragging about scores on these boards. I suppose once you reach it a certain point you see things differently.

I will keep plugging away.

Message 9 of 10
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Elcid89 wrote:

What I do:

That's a very good idea...I'll try that myself....good info

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.