Did you mean: 

Can't Apply for Arrival+?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can't Apply for Arrival+?

@jsucool76 wrote:

(Mod Cut-Not necessary)

I could care less whether people take my advice or not,but if the information never makes it out there to begin with, then some people might not know about it. that posted can use their miles for a statement credit for all I care. but if someone who is actually pleasant comes in here, I want them to see good information Smiley Very Happy

I entered, in response to someone saying there are better no AF alternatives, asking to be shown the no AF card that offers no FTF and Chip&Pin.  You responded with, you'd get a better return off prestige or premier, which is NOT true.

You are the one that keeps putting words in my mouth, I never said the prestiege or premier were bad cards, I said I have alternatives that are what I use for airline miles.  Emirates is a great airline, I got to fly on that once but on a code share with KE (which is one of the airlines my company prefers, hence I gain lots of free miles on them).  Citi cards offer nothing to me, and they are no way comparable to Arrival+ (before this massive change) or Venture.

As I've stated multiple times, Arrival+ filled a gap in points for me (and many others) for non-airline/hotel travel costs.  TYP do not fill that gap, MR do not fill that gap, UR do not fill that gap.  CB cards do, but most do not offer no FTF, which is a requirement when one lives outside the US.

Message 81 of 96
Anonymous
Not applicable

Back on topic, besides the Venture, what other alternatives are available?

Chip&Pin would be great, but that is something I've seen rarely offered.

No FTF is a must for me.

CB, statement credit, however you want to term it that lets me pay for non-airline/major hotel travel costs (train, Air BnB, amusement parks, taxi, ferry, etc).

At least 2% return.

Any other options out there?

Message 82 of 96
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lets all be adults and refrain from the name calling.  Name calling is unacceptable on here and if anyone need a refresher on what is acceptable here is the link..

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Forum-Etiquette/td-p/2905196

Message 83 of 96
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

I have edited out some not so friendly comments. Lets all remember to be friendly, supportive and respectful of one another. I thank you for your cooperation and understanding.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Bankruptcy/Friendly-Supportive-and-Respectful-2-6-14/td-p/2797125

Message 84 of 96
happypill
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Back on topic, besides the Venture, what other alternatives are available?

Chip&Pin would be great, but that is something I've seen rarely offered.

No FTF is a must for me.

CB, statement credit, however you want to term it that lets me pay for non-airline/major hotel travel costs (train, Air BnB, amusement parks, taxi, ferry, etc).

At least 2% return.

Any other options out there?

There are some other options that are not as main stream and have geography limitations.  To me, the mos attractive is the Security Service FCU Power Travel Rewards card which is an amazing combination of low APR, no fees of any kind and 3% rewards on gas, travel & dining, plus 10% bonus on all points earned.  Essentially a 3.3% card.  The card requires a minimum $50k annual income and the geography is highly restricted to part of Colorado, Texas & Utah I think.  I was able to get CU membership through my work (my company is HQ in Denver and there is a SSFCU branch in the building) and this will be my first target when I exit the garden in two weeks.

There is also the JCB Marukai Premium which offers 3% on everything once you reach $3k spend.  It does have total AF of $25 which includes membership to the Marukai store (Japanese grocery) and bonus cash back of $50 if you hit $5k spending for the year to offset the AF and lower rewards until you reach $3k annual spend.  It also includes access to their network of lounges in a few major cities.  There are two big drawbacks to this card.  First, the geography is limited to California, Hawaii and maybe a few other western states.  The other is that it is issued by JCB (Japan Central Bank) - in the US is runs off the Discover network so it might not be accepted everywhere.  Also, the application process sounds like a pain in the butt (paper only I believe).  The 3% rewards on everything really takes it to another level.

Message 85 of 96
noobody
Established Contributor

I just do not understand the logic here.

Arrival+ is perform poorly against DC after 1st year, let's nerf the benefits see if we can retain more customers.
EX819 1HP|TU797 1HP| EQ(Fico8 BankCard)841
Message 86 of 96
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@noobody wrote:

Arrival+ is perform poorly against DC after 1st year, let's nerf the benefits see if we can retain more customers.

It might not that they are concerned about retaining customers, just cutting losses.  They have a very attractive bonus (like CSP) and it might be that they are finding far fewer than expected retain the card after the first year.   And yes, they could retain more by making the card more generous, but retention of customers that cost you isn't worthwhile

I assume the CSP loses some customers too, but maybe less.   Having URs has some attraction (to some) whereaas those that find the Arrival +  very attractive over a plain cashback card are probably a fairly small niche (as discussed on this thread, a lot of foreigh spending and/or in travel categories not covered by other card).   And even for those, with the cut to 5%, the smaller AF of the Venture might make that more appealing.

IOW, there may not be a great solution for Barclays

Message 87 of 96
steel_string
Regular Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@noobody wrote:

It might not that they are concerned about retaining customers, just cutting losses.  They have a very attractive bonus (like CSP) and it might be that they are finding far fewer than expected retain the card after the first year.   And yes, they could retain more by making the card more generous, but retention of customers that cost you isn't worthwhile

If they're unprofitable because of the signup bonus, the logical thing would be to reduce/eliminate/replace the bonus. If they're unprofitable after the first year, the thing to do would be to eliminate the card completely (and possibly replace it with something else entirely), rather than making an uncompetitive card even more uncompetitive. It's hard to see a scenario where this is their best move.

Chase Sapphire Preferred ($24.005k), Fidelity VS ($17K), United MileagePlus Explorer ($17K), Chase Freedom ($15K), Chase Freedom Unlimited ($15K), AmEx Blue Cash ($12.5K), IHG One Rewards Premier ($6.1K), US Bank Cash+ ($5K)
Message 88 of 96
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@noobody wrote:

Just wondering if this coincides with opening up the upgrade of red aviator to silver for all card holders.  I like the perks of the aviator.  Think everyone should have one dedicated travel card (my personal opinion, if I ever close aviator, would get alaska airlines).  Plus, many would cancel or downgrade when annual fee due.

Signature needs updating
Message 89 of 96
Anonymous
Not applicable

Saw this thread over the weekend and wondered what all the huss and fuss was about. Went to the barclaycard site and i see both Arrival cc's there so dunno what the big deal is... 

http://www.findmybarclaycard.com/barclaycard-credit-cards/compare

Would suck tho if they nerfed some benefits tho since i love my regular Arrival card. Cant beat a no AF card with 2x dining & travel. 

Message 90 of 96
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.