Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Convert US Bank REI Card to Other Brand

tag
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

Can't Convert US Bank REI Card to Other Brand

I have this US Bank REI card many years ago. I called them and tried to convert to other US bank credit, but was told this card has agreement that it can't be converted. Anyone else has similar situation?

I just do not shop at REI any more. But since it is very old card, I prefer to keep it....

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Peteyglad
Established Contributor

Re: Can't Convert US Bank REI Card to Other Brand

Twice I have called, not to switch cards, but to transfer some of my REI credit limit to my cash+ and have gotten the same answer. 

Chase Sapphire Preferred 20k | Amex Delta Platinum 20k | Amex Hilton Aspire 20k | US Bank Cash+ 25k | Chase Amazon Prime 25k | Barclaycard Aviator Red 40k | Bank of America Alaska Airlines 42k | Chase Marriott 50k | Discover It 50.3k | Amex EDP 52k | Citi Thank You Premier 56K | Bank of America BBR 57.9k
Message 2 of 5
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

REI is co-branded and underwritten by USB and managed by USB.  You can open another line with USB but you can't move or PC the card from REI because the $$$ is REI's not USB's.  For example you can't get a K-Mart card and then change it to an AMEX card.  Or for the sake of Comenity you can't get VS and change to Sportsman's or Synch get a Wal-Mart and make it into a Ebates.  It just doesn't work that way.  Same would go for Elan or another lender that manages a card program for another company.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

A lot of lenders actually work this way. Chase does the same thing.
Message 4 of 5
ddemari
Super Contributor

like others said, this is very common with lenders. chase is definitely up there, they have agreements with the company and basically back their cards. therefore they cant convert such card into one of their house cards. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.