Did you mean: 

Can't Get any credit cards.

tag
LadyJEsq
Established Contributor

Re: Can't Get any credit cards.

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok so I made the call to Barclay.  It was denied because my daughter whom I co-signed had some late payments 30 days ago.  

I'm not trying to be negative but as a cosigner that car loan belongs to you and you are responsible for the payments being made on time. That 30 day late being recent IS a problem.

I would suggest you take over the car payments and that way if your daughter can't pay, you can keep it paid in a timely manner.

I strongly disagree with that statement. Your daughter is old enough to learn responsibility and she'll never learn if you keep treating her like a child. I would let her know that her late payments negatively effected you as her co-signer and just reiterate how important it is that she pay her bills on time not just because they affect you, but because that's what it means to be an adult. Since she paid late, I'd sit down with her and maybe draw up a budget so that she knows exactly where her money goes each month, and if she's overextended herself, then maybe you can intervene temporarily. While her being late negatively effected you, it can be a great life lesson for her.

As to Barclay, I would do a second recon and maybe another CSR agent would be a bit more understanding. 

**FICO 8 Scores EQ EX TU **

Message 21 of 29
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It was denied because my daughter whom I co-signed had some late payments 30 days ago. 

Derogs tend to be a signficant red flag and will tend to hold you down.  Carefully research in the Rebuilding subofurm to see what you can do to address them.

As stated above, secured can be an option.  Credit unions with more lax approval criteria are also a standard suggestion.  However, definitely get any derogs addressed and removed from your reports.  Do whatever it takes to avoid any in future.

It's really up to the OP to figure out how to handle the situation with the daughter.

Message 22 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Swampy99........I agree 100%.  If i had known I would have paid them and let her pay me.  She was too proud to ask.  Lesson learned.  LOL

Message 23 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes,  I agree.  We already sat down with her finances, she did not understand that it affected me.  SHe was between jobs and was too proud to ask for help.  I agree that she needs to learn and not be babied.

Message 24 of 29
LadyJEsq
Established Contributor

I would strongly suggest a second (and third if necessary) recon with Barclay. Another member recon his/her Barclay denial and got a 3K SL. You took the hard pull, and have a really good reason for the late, so I'd plead my case if I were you. 

Good luck if you do and keep us posted!

**FICO 8 Scores EQ EX TU **

Message 25 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great job on the capital one sl!!
Message 26 of 29
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok so I made the call to Barclay.  It was denied because my daughter whom I co-signed had some late payments 30 days ago.  She told me to reapply in 6 months as this was the only thing.  However, when Capital One called to verify it was me because of the Fraud alert she said she went ahead and sent it for further processing and while I was asking her questions, she told me she had sent it in and it was approved for up to $3000.00.  I would have to wait for the letter that comes with the card to find the actual amount!   WooHoo!  Now I need to continue reading so that I can learn how to build my credit up in the 700's to get a mortgage to build a home.  Thank you everyone for your help!

Well now that you're on your way, your keys are:

1. Make sure your daughter's payments are on time

2. Use the Cap One card but pay it down to zero, possibly multiple times a month

3. In 3 or 6 months see where your scores are and apply for a second credit card

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 27 of 29
taxi818
Super Contributor

Im sure with the length of this thread someone already said. get a secured card is the easiest approach to getting your credit card history up. after about 6 months. the flood gates will open with credit card offers. provided you always pay on time.

Message 28 of 29
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok so I made the call to Barclay.  It was denied because my daughter whom I co-signed had some late payments 30 days ago.  She told me to reapply in 6 months as this was the only thing.  However, when Capital One called to verify it was me because of the Fraud alert she said she went ahead and sent it for further processing and while I was asking her questions, she told me she had sent it in and it was approved for up to $3000.00.  I would have to wait for the letter that comes with the card to find the actual amount!   WooHoo!  Now I need to continue reading so that I can learn how to build my credit up in the 700's to get a mortgage to build a home.  Thank you everyone for your help!

Congrats on your approval!!  Use that card well and you should see your scores rise over time.

Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.