Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Pay My Cap One Card?

tag
dytch2220
Regular Contributor

Can't Pay My Cap One Card?

I've made a few swipes on my capital one secured card and decided to make a payment before the cycle closes on the 4th but for some reason it won't allow me to make a payment.  Is this normal before the first cycle close?  Will it be reported with the balance if the system doesn't take my payment before then?  Any insight would be helpful.

Installment Accounts

Revolving Accounts
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Can't Pay My Cap One Card?

@dytch2220 wrote:

I've made a few swipes on my capital one secured card and decided to make a payment before the cycle closes on the 4th but for some reason it won't allow me to make a payment.  Is this normal before the first cycle close?  Will it be reported with the balance if the system doesn't take my payment before then?  Any insight would be helpful.

I'm not sure about the first cycle restriction but you can always "push" a payment through your bank's or CU's online billpay.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 6
dytch2220
Regular Contributor

I just went ahead and called them since the error message said they are open 24 hours.  It won't allow you to pay online or over the automated telephone payment system until your first statement closes.  They were able to take my payment by phone at no charge though, so I'm happy.

Installment Accounts

Revolving Accounts
Message 3 of 6
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

For first billing cycle, you either have to call CSR to schedule a phone payment, or push payment from bank/CU.

If you push money from bank/CU, your account number will be your card number.

Message 4 of 6
jnydc
Contributor

Had the same issue, but I pushed the payment through my bank...

they posted it a few days later, and no problems... I didn't know about calling but good to know...though I hate talking to people.

2009 Credit Portfolio: First Premier 450, Orchard Bank 400

2012 Credit Portfolio: AMEX; Gold, Zync, & Clear 5k
Citi Platinum Select 2k, Home Depot Store (Citi) 4k, Discover More 10k, Barclays Apple 2k, Cap 1 (secured) 2.5k
Message 5 of 6
JayRizzo
Established Contributor

Adding my two-cents worth... Just as Marine and Jnydc stated, do a Bill Pay push from your bank account since Capital One's online Bill Pay only allow you to pay no more than 10% over your current balance -- which hasn't generated yet in your case, therefore, will not process.  My first time was through MoneyGram.  Yeah, it cost me about 8 bucks, but I had more control to send as much as I wanted -- overpaid the account by $30 just to make sure it stays in the GREEN.  Just a rule of thumb, send payments about twice a month just to make sure your account stays good and don't go close to your limit.  I assume half of my credit line is my New Limit just to keep myself Good.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.