Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't downgrade CSP to freedom?

tag
PointLager
Established Contributor

Can't downgrade CSP to freedom?

I'm about to get hit with my first AF and wanted to downgrade my CSP to a Freedom. I've been using my United Club card more and we have other UR cards in the household so far won't lose transferability of my existing UR or Freedom earned points.

I called in today to ask for a downgrade and was told by the rep that i can only downgrade to a chase sapphire (no fee version) and not freedom.

I'll need to call again and possibly try another number. I just called the one on the back of my card. I don't want to push too much by calling retentions or exec office because I'll need them to waive my United Club Card fee this summer.

Any recent experiences going from CSP --> freedom? Worst case scenario is I downgrade to the free version but I'd like t get the 5x grocery spend this quarter. Plus hopefully getting rid of the sapphire branded cards will allow me to churn in 2016 with another CSP app.

Thanks
Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can't downgrade CSP to freedom?

I can honestly say I haven't personally heard of a successful PC from CSP to Freedom but you should try calling. What I would do would be to apply for the Freedom to take advantage of the sign-up bonus and transfer my CSP's limit over. I think that should be less of a hassle for you customer service wise.

Message 2 of 27
PointLager
Established Contributor

That's what the rep suggested. I've got too many HPs and just got the Amex EDP last month so am quasi-gardening I suppose.

Plus, 10k. URs is way too little compensation for a HP for me anyway.

Thanks
Message 3 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@PointLager wrote:
That's what the rep suggested. I've got too many HPs and just got the Amex EDP last month so am quasi-gardening I suppose.

Plus, 10k. URs is way too little compensation for a HP for me anyway.

Thanks

So wait for the 20K bonus Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 27
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@PointLager wrote:
but I'd like t get the 5x grocery spend this quarter.

If that's something that would benefit you year round due to your grocery spend then you might want to consider a long term grocery rewards solution.

@PointLager wrote:
I'll need to call again and possibly try another number. I just called the one on the back of my card. 

Try sending an SM.

Message 5 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@takeshi74 wrote:

@PointLager wrote:
but I'd like t get the 5x grocery spend this quarter.

If that's something that would benefit you year round due to your grocery spend then you might want to consider a long term grocery rewards solution.

@PointLager wrote:
I'll need to call again and possibly try another number. I just called the one on the back of my card. 

Try sending an SM.

Like a Sallie Mae? Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 27
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

I can't say they are very nice to me about either about PC'ing my card.  I have the Freedom and I really get no benefit from it because of other cards which have rotating categories or set categories.  I have asked a few times to PC the card and keep getting told that I simply have to wait until it comes up as an offer and to try back.  I had a few recurring bills on the card, which I stopped and SD'd the card.  I am always prequlified for both the Slate and CSP whenever I check and yet I can't PC!?!

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 7 of 27
PointLager
Established Contributor

I sent a secure message per takeshi74 suggestion. Let's hope for the best. Will keep you posted
Message 8 of 27
PointLager
Established Contributor

The reason I want the freedom is because I don't want to pay for CSP. For a long term grocery card I have the everyday preferred but I would like to augment that with a UR-earning grocery card.
Message 9 of 27
PointLager
Established Contributor

Secure message just responded that it's not possible to change from CSP to Freedom. Only downgrade to no AF version of chase sapphire
Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.