Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't downgrade CSP to freedom?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can't downgrade CSP to freedom?

@PointLager wrote:
Secure message just responded that it's not possible to change from CSP to Freedom. Only downgrade to no AF version of chase sapphire

So downgrade and wait for $200 offer then apply for freedom and move CL over.

Message 11 of 27
C24Webb
Regular Contributor

@PointLager wrote:
I'm about to get hit with my first AF and wanted to downgrade my CSP to a Freedom. I've been using my United Club card more and we have other UR cards in the household so far won't lose transferability of my existing UR or Freedom earned points.

I called in today to ask for a downgrade and was told by the rep that i can only downgrade to a chase sapphire (no fee version) and not freedom.

I'll need to call again and possibly try another number. I just called the one on the back of my card. I don't want to push too much by calling retentions or exec office because I'll need them to waive my United Club Card fee this summer.

Any recent experiences going from CSP --> freedom? Worst case scenario is I downgrade to the free version but I'd like t get the 5x grocery spend this quarter. Plus hopefully getting rid of the sapphire branded cards will allow me to churn in 2016 with another CSP app.

Thanks

I don't think Chase is good with waiving annual fees/offering points to offset AFs, even through the EO.  My first card with Chase was a Slate (I had no balance to transfer, but at the time I thought it was much easier to get than the Freedom), and after a year I tried to PC to Freedom.  After three attempts through SM over a year, I finally sent an email to the EO and they quickly processed the PC.  

So, given that Chase is not known to waive AFs, I think you should just email the EO for the PC... took about five days from the time I sent the email to have the Freedom in hand.

*or downgrade to CS, get the Freedom when a 20K UR offer returns and close the CS/transfer limit to Freedom if the inquiry/possible hit on AAoA isn't an issue

Card/Limit/Opened — Discover it: $27,600 2/14 | Chase Sapphire Preferred: $10,500 7/14 | Banana Republic Visa: $10,000 7/14 | USAA Cash Rewards Visa Signature: $9,000 6/11 | Chase Freedom: $2,000 3/12
History — AAoA: 42 months | Oldest account: 119 months (including AU) | Inquiries: 1 EX 0 EQ 0 TU | Score: 765 (Discover TU) 750 (USAA CreditCheck Monitoring EX FAKO)
Message 12 of 27
PointLager
Established Contributor

@C24Webb thank you for your suggestion. I was thinking about contacting the EO. It worked for me with Amex before.

Do you think that EO is a one time favor per customer thing? ie my United club card AF is going to hit by August and I intend to ask for a waiver/credit. (Will likely have $25-30k of spend on it ) so I'm afraid that contacting the EO For the freedom may "cash in my chips" so to speak?

Thoughts?

Thanks again
Message 13 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@PointLager wrote:
@C24Webb thank you for your suggestion. I was thinking about contacting the EO. It worked for me with Amex before.

Do you think that EO is a one time favor per customer thing? ie my United club card AF is going to hit by August and I intend to ask for a waiver/credit. (Will likely have $25-30k of spend on it ) so I'm afraid that contacting the EO For the freedom may "cash in my chips" so to speak?

Thoughts?

Thanks again

Don't think it's a one time thing, No.

Check FT for Chase fee waivers.

Message 14 of 27
C24Webb
Regular Contributor

I can totally see the one time favor per customer thing... they obviously keep track of what/how you communicate with them and may not be as flexible with an increasing number of requests (they may get annoyed, think you're asking for too much, etc.).  However, if the requests aren't too difficult to process then there may not be an issue--if you are/have been good to them, they will likely want to keep you happy to an extent.

Can anyone chime in on Chase AF waivers through the EO?  I'm pretty sure I've read that Chase is not flexible with that at all, unlike a few other lenders.  This might influence OP's decision to contact the EO for the PC.  

Card/Limit/Opened — Discover it: $27,600 2/14 | Chase Sapphire Preferred: $10,500 7/14 | Banana Republic Visa: $10,000 7/14 | USAA Cash Rewards Visa Signature: $9,000 6/11 | Chase Freedom: $2,000 3/12
History — AAoA: 42 months | Oldest account: 119 months (including AU) | Inquiries: 1 EX 0 EQ 0 TU | Score: 765 (Discover TU) 750 (USAA CreditCheck Monitoring EX FAKO)
Message 15 of 27
PointLager
Established Contributor

Nixon had a good idea to check FT. just search for chase rention offers. They have threads for various issuers.
The prospects look good for my United club card. No waivers for CSP
Message 16 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@C24Webb wrote:

I can totally see the one time favor per customer thing... they obviously keep track of what/how you communicate with them and may not be as flexible with an increasing number of requests (they may get annoyed, think you're asking for too much, etc.).  However, if the requests aren't too difficult to process then there may not be an issue--if you are/have been good to them, they will likely want to keep you happy to an extent.

Can anyone chime in on Chase AF waivers through the EO?  I'm pretty sure I've read that Chase is not flexible with that at all, unlike a few other lenders.  This might influence OP's decision to contact the EO for the PC.  

Not flexible. Check FT as mentioned before if you want to see stats on Chase fee waivers.

Message 17 of 27
C24Webb
Regular Contributor

Let us know if you decide to attempt the PC through EO in addition to the AF waiver request! 

*just looked through the thread... saw some decent retention offers

Message 18 of 27
kkapdolee
Frequent Contributor

I PC'd my CSP -> CS -> Freedom last year.

List of cards CSP can PC to is just CS.

List of cards that CS can PC to is Freedom and Slate.

If you really want Freedom, just PC from CSP to CS and then PC that to Freedom like I did.

I don't remember how soon after PCing to CS, I PCd again to Freedom but I don't think it was too far apart.

[10%+] Internet, Cable, Cell phone
[5%] Gas, Grocery, Amazon, Airline tickets, Drug Stores, Dept. Stores, Target, MyHabit
[3%] Restaurants
[2%] Everything Else
Message 19 of 27
PointLager
Established Contributor

Great tip! Thank you
Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.