cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't figure out Capital One statement date?

tag
JSS3
Valued Contributor

Re: Can't figure out Capital One statement date?

From my experience with Capital One:

-It takes about a month after applying for your new account to show up at the bureaus.
-It takes a total of THREE days for your statement to close. If you know your due date, count three days and you'll know when statement cuts.
-You can call them and they'll let you know.
Message 11 of 14
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My statement cuts on the 23rd also but my due date is the 19th. You're saying you pay on the 21st so your statement cuts 2 days after your due date?

The due date is irrelevant.  Balance is reported on statement date.

Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap One allows you to change your due date, but not your statement date.

I just recieved the e-mail with the statement for my Platinum card today, 11/21 with a due date of 12/16.

I get paid once a month at the beginning of the month.  So if I wanted the statement date to fall around the 5th of the month so I can pay it down to 10% every month before the statement cuts.  What would I select as a due date?

12/16 is 25 days after 11/21 so would it be safe to assume choosing a due date on the 30th would make my statement date fall around the 5th?  Will the due date always be 25 days after the statement date?

Am I understanding this correctly or do I just sound like an idiot right now?  Smiley Sad

Message 13 of 14
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Cap One allows you to change your due date, but not your statement date.

I just recieved the e-mail with the statement for my Platinum card today, 11/21 with a due date of 12/16.

I get paid once a month at the beginning of the month.  So if I wanted the statement date to fall around the 5th of the month so I can pay it down to 10% every month before the statement cuts.  What would I select as a due date?

12/16 is 25 days after 11/21 so would it be safe to assume choosing a due date on the 30th would make my statement date fall around the 5th?  Will the due date always be 25 days after the statement date?

Am I understanding this correctly or do I just sound like an idiot right now?  Smiley Sad

This thread is nearly a year old, but I think I can help with your question because I had almost the same exact situation.

I also get paid at the beginning of the month, and for simplicity I had Capital One set my due date to the 15th of the month.  You're right about not being able to specify a 'statement date', but by changing the due date the statement (closing) date gets changed as well.  My own statement closing date is usually the 18th, with my payment being due the 15th of the following month.

I see what you're trying to do, but I feel you might be over-thinking it.  Keep in mind that unless you're applying for a mortgage or buying a car, it's not a horrible thing to allow a balance to post, and it can even be helpful (especially if you're wanting to get a CLI from Capital One - I got my largest after allowing balances to post for several months, but YMMV).  I understand not wanting a 'huge' balance to post, but if you have a few fast-food purchases that miss your own 'cut-off' and make the statment, that's nothing to be too worried about. 

Personally, I like allowing some balances to post... I've always felt it keeps lenders from being too 'jumpy' on those occasions I do carry a balance for a few months.

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.