Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't find expenses for CC

tag
praise123
Contributor

Can't find expenses for CC

My husband pays all of the bills at our house. I just pay my student loan bill. I have a Chase Card with a $5000 limit and try to use it but it's usually on dumb stuff like Duncan donuts and lunch. My husband is old school and won't run all monthly expenses through this chase card. My question is will they cut me off or lower my interest thinking that I am a small fry. I make $80,000. I use my store cards to shop clothes to get the discounts. Any suggestions???
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
jamie123
Valued Contributor

Re: Can't find expenses for CC

You probably just need to change your mindset a bit.

How about groceries?

How about gas for your car?

Put your card at the front of your wallet and pull it out first when you need to pay for something.

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 2 of 6
GST2008
Frequent Contributor

@praise123 wrote:
My husband pays all of the bills at our house. I just pay my student loan bill. I have a Chase Card with a $5000 limit and try to use it but it's usually on dumb stuff like Duncan donuts and lunch. My husband is old school and won't run all monthly expenses through this chase card. My question is will they cut me off or lower my interest thinking that I am a small fry. I make $80,000. I use my store cards to shop clothes to get the discounts. Any suggestions???

I don't see why they would cut your limit.  It sounds like you are regularly using the card, even if on smaller purchases.  If you are paying Chase on-time, paying your store cards on-time, and paying your student loans on-time, as well as not running up large balances (high utilization), you should be fine.  Many posters on here have similar and higher CLs and don't use the cards at all (sock drawer) and don't have problems.

Current:
TU (5/14/14): 796 (Inquiries; 8/23/13)
EQ (3/23/14): 791 (Inquiries: 8/23/13)
EX (9/24/13): 780 (Inquiries: 7/2/12; 11/20/12; 7/30/13; 8/23/13)

Goals: No new inquiries for 2014, 800 for all CRs by 12/31/14
Message 3 of 6
orl22
New Contributor

What kind of card is it? Is it just a regular card? Perhaps you might think about changing it to a rewards type card. This way there's incentive to use it more to buy the things you normally buy. I have a Chase Sapphire Preferred opened this April and with the promotional sign-on bonus, was able to use the reward money to buy myself a new IPad. I have other no rewards card that doesn't get used more cause there's not much incentive to.
Message 4 of 6
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@GST2008 wrote:

@praise123 wrote:

I don't see why they would cut your limit.  It sounds like you are regularly using the card, even if on smaller purchases.  If you are paying Chase on-time, paying your store cards on-time, and paying your student loans on-time, as well as not running up large balances (high utilization), you should be fine.  Many posters on here have similar and higher CLs and don't use the cards at all (sock drawer) and don't have problems.

+1.  You don't need to max out your card to keep your credit limit or APR.  In fact, it is better if you just continue to use it the way you are currently and save the rest of the credit limit for an emergency.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 5 of 6
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@GST2008 wrote:

@praise123 wrote:

^^ This.  "Small frys" as you put it, fly well under the radar at pretty much any lender.  Attracting attention to oneself is almost always a bad thing from a consumer perspective when it comes to dealing with lenders, so staying beneath their notice is almost certainly a good thing.  I wouldn't worry about it, short of a complete meltdown at Chase it's unlikely they're ever going to come knocking at least any time in the next several years in the current economy.  Plenty of time to re-evaluate later anyway if your needs change.

        
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.