Can't get Discover off my Mom's credit report

Hi all,

For the past 8 years or so my Discover card has been showing up on both mine and my Mom's credit reports. We both have very good credit scores, and this card isn't bringing her score up or down, but it's just annoying to the both of us.

She has tried several times to have my card removed from her report, and it temporarily disappears and then reappears again.

She has never been associated with this account, but we do have a matching historical address on our reports (although I didn't live with her when I opened this account). Our names and social security numbers are both similar, and we figure that this might have something to do with it.

What can we do to permanently end this problem?

Thanks

Senior Contributor

Re: Can't get Discover off my Mom's credit report

Kittty wrote:

Hi all,

For the past 8 years or so my Discover card has been showing up on both mine and my Mom's credit reports. We both have very good credit scores, and this card isn't bringing her score up or down, but it's just annoying to the both of us.

She has tried several times to have my card removed from her report, and it temporarily disappears and then reappears again.

She has never been associated with this account, but we do have a matching historical address on our reports (although I didn't live with her when I opened this account). Our names and social security numbers are both similar, and we figure that this might have something to do with it.

What can we do to permanently end this problem?

Thanks

Welcome to the forums!

You need to call Discover. (Assuming this is a genuine DFS Discover card.) Tell them what is happening and that you need it straightened out. If you have been getting it removed by filing a dispute with the CRB's it won't work. It will just come back when it is reported again. You have to go to the source to get this problem fixed.

Established Contributor

Leave it alone.
Senior Contributor

FaircreditguyFL wrote:
Leave it alone.

This is another viable approach as long as the status quo is acceptable.
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.