cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get approved for BCE? No Worries, here is how I did it

tag

Can't get approved for BCE? No Worries, here is how I did it

I noticed many on here can't get approved for BCE or the preferred version due to it's much stricter underwriting elements.  I applied twice, once right after I got approved for the PRG charge card and about a 40 days ago, denied both instances mainly due to "too many inquires" and "too few accounts being paid as agreed".  Then I saw some old posts on this site and another credit card community blog about product conversions.  I saw a few people as recently as 2012 were able to convert their Delta Skymiles card to a Blue Cash/Sky card.  So I figured I could apply for the Delta Card, hopefully get approved and then convert it sometime in the future.  I applied online and I was instantly approved for the Delta Skymiles, about 7 days later my Delta card arrived.  Before I activated it, I call the customer support number on the back and asked if I could do a product change.  He said "yes".  I asked him I wanted the Blue Cash (not preferred).  He went to convert it but then said the system won't allow it since it was too new. He said to call back a few days after the card was activated and have it changed, he then activated the Delta card for me.  Yesterday I called in for the product change, in within in 2 minutes my card was changed and the agent said my new Blue card should be at my place in 7 days.  Today my Amex account now shows the Blue Cash.  Not sure if Amex knows about this "loophole" but for those of you who really want a good Amex revolver and can't get one, I think this will work for you. 

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
CEOriginal
Contributor

Re: Can't get approved for BCE? No Worries, here is how I did it

Nice! I wonder if you'll qualify for the sign-up bonus. Sounds like you may void both bonus offers this way, but still a nice loophole!

Scores as of 7/28/13: EX.683   TU.688   EQ.???
Message 2 of 16

You are correct, you forgive any bonus.  CSA verified that I understood that before he did the conversion.

Message 3 of 16
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Don't you ever wonder you lose more than earn after PC to BCE !!?!??
Not only sign up bonus + no fees for first year for Delta and some others benefit from Delta card if you flight frequently. You would lose all
the benefit. They earn money through those swipe fees so why not let you get the card u used the most !?? I also go through that Delta to BCE too. Thank for bring it up to the others thou.
Credit Card company know exactly what we"consumer"" doing BUT just because they let you slide , PC to BCE and called that ""loophole""". Trust me it's not.....
Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 4 of 16
millenion
Established Member

@Bears-PurdueFan wrote:

I noticed many on here can't get approved for BCE or the preferred version due to it's much stricter underwriting elements.  I applied twice, once right after I got approved for the PRG charge card and about a 40 days ago, denied both instances mainly due to "too many inquires" and "too few accounts being paid as agreed".  Then I saw some old posts on this site and another credit card community blog about product conversions.  I saw a few people as recently as 2012 were able to convert their Delta Skymiles card to a Blue Cash/Sky card.  So I figured I could apply for the Delta Card, hopefully get approved and then convert it sometime in the future.  I applied online and I was instantly approved for the Delta Skymiles, about 7 days later my Delta card arrived.  Before I activated it, I call the customer support number on the back and asked if I could do a product change.  He said "yes".  I asked him I wanted the Blue Cash (not preferred).  He went to convert it but then said the system won't allow it since it was too new. He said to call back a few days after the card was activated and have it changed, he then activated the Delta card for me.  Yesterday I called in for the product change, in within in 2 minutes my card was changed and the agent said my new Blue card should be at my place in 7 days.  Today my Amex account now shows the Blue Cash.  Not sure if Amex knows about this "loophole" but for those of you who really want a good Amex revolver and can't get one, I think this will work for you. 

Will this work with the charge cards as well, going from Delta to the gold card or higher ? Is it true the Delta card is the easiet one to get from Amex? I hate seeing the dreadful declined page.

Message 5 of 16
enharu
Super Contributor

Millenion, the delta card is supposedly the easiest revolver to qualify for. However, most of the Amex revolvers have pretty similar requirements in underwriting with pretty subtle differences IMO. If you want the BCE, just apply for it directly. Taking this route and having to give up the sign-up bonus is pretty uh.... Not worthwhile to put it in a nice way.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 6 of 16
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Wait till u meet the bonus requirement then PC.
Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 7 of 16
millenion
Established Member

@enharu wrote:
Millenion, the delta card is supposedly the easiest revolver to qualify for. However, most of the Amex revolvers have pretty similar requirements in underwriting with pretty subtle differences IMO. If you want the BCE, just apply for it directly. Taking this route and having to give up the sign-up bonus is pretty uh.... Not worthwhile to put it in a nice way.

Thank you, I'll do my best to apply for it to get the sign up bonus. I just hate getting rejected by these darn companies lol

Message 8 of 16
Trigga
Regular Contributor

So is the Delta card easier to get and if so why ..isnt it a revovler also !!???

WalMart 5k , Amazon 3.5k,Chase Freedom 1.5k , Citi TY 2k, Discover IT1.1k, HomeDepot 2.8k , Chase Slate1.5k , BofA cash rewards 1.5k, Lowes 12k , Kay Jewelers 3k , Gardening until 2015!
Message 9 of 16
enharu
Super Contributor

@millenion, I think the Amex revolvers are about as hard to get compared to other prime cards, such as BofA privileges, chase sapphire preferred, citi thank you premier, etc. Some people even have a harder time getting approved for chase or citi compared to Amex, so it does vary for each individual.

Just make sure your CR is in the best form possible before you apply and you should be fine.

@trigga, the delta card is a revolver. The lower requirements might be due to Amex's contractual agreement with delta.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.