Did you mean: 

Can't pay pending charges on Amex..

tag
H14
Contributor

Re: Can't pay pending charges on Amex..

@Pat94108 wrote:

@ezdoesit wrote:

My American Express and Chase do not let me pay pending charges.  The only CCC that I can is Citi but only if I pay directly with a transfer between my accounts.  I don't know if someone did not have checking or savings with Citi would they be able to do it.

You can't. I have a balance of $1100 on my Citi and because there is no payment due they won't even allow me to make a payment until something is due so I have to push them from my bank, I will probably close my account because of this, I want to be able to make payments when it's convenient to me, not only when there is a due date. 

That's odd, I usually pay multiple times per month on my two citi cards, when no payment is due, without issue.

On topic: As mentioned the bill pay feature will let you pay even into the negatives on cards. I know this because I made a mistake and overpaid with it[on a citicard specifically]. I guess they're not inclined to refuse and post the payment regardless. 

Message 21 of 27
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@H14 wrote:

@Pat94108 wrote:

@ezdoesit wrote:

My American Express and Chase do not let me pay pending charges.  The only CCC that I can is Citi but only if I pay directly with a transfer between my accounts.  I don't know if someone did not have checking or savings with Citi would they be able to do it.

You can't. I have a balance of $1100 on my Citi and because there is no payment due they won't even allow me to make a payment until something is due so I have to push them from my bank, I will probably close my account because of this, I want to be able to make payments when it's convenient to me, not only when there is a due date. 

That's odd, I usually pay multiple times per month on my two citi cards, when no payment is due, without issue.

On topic: As mentioned the bill pay feature will let you pay even into the negatives on cards. I know this because I made a mistake and overpaid with it[on a citicard specifically]. I guess they're not inclined to refuse and post the payment regardless. 

Right, because this is basically just an ACH transfer and the money is moved from account A to account B without any issuer business rules being invoked.  The issuers implement all their logic on their website, so if you bypass that you can pay any amount, small or large, up to the limit allowed by your bank.

Message 22 of 27
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

@H14 wrote:

@Pat94108 wrote:

@ezdoesit wrote:

Pat when you wrote your reply did you mean "I can't instead of you can't?".  I know I can pay my Citicard as much and as often as I like.  Do you have an account with them?  I can also pay my Amex multilple times a month except the first month I had them.  Same thing with Chase I can pay them several times a month also.

Message 23 of 27
Brax
Frequent Contributor

@Bman70 wrote:

Just seems inconvenient because I'll have to stop using the card for some 4 days before each statement

I don't find this inconvenient. It's much easier to stop using the card for a few days to zero out the account and just PIF when charges post.

Message 24 of 27
Pat94108
Frequent Contributor

@ezdoesit wrote:

@H14 wrote:

@Pat94108 wrote:

@ezdoesit wrote:

Pat when you wrote your reply did you mean "I can't instead of you can't?".  I know I can pay my Citicard as much and as often as I like.  Do you have an account with them?  I can also pay my Amex multilple times a month except the first month I had them.  Same thing with Chase I can pay them several times a month also.

Yup, I wasn't talking about you :-) I have tried many times but I can't. I always get the message: "you have entered an amount greater than your last statement balance" I guess if I had had a balance last statement, I would be able to do it so I ll try next month after the statement cuts, but I just find it weird that i m not able to make payments on the current balance and no, I don't have a checking or saving with them. 

Message 25 of 27
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Brax wrote:

@Bman70 wrote:

Just seems inconvenient because I'll have to stop using the card for some 4 days before each statement

I don't find this inconvenient. It's much easier to stop using the card for a few days to zero out the account and just PIF when charges post.

Well, it obviously can be somewhat inconvenient if you want to buy a bonus category item during those few days (and that card is the only one with that category).

Part of the problems with micromanaging utilization, which a lot of us (including me) do during periods when we don't need to.

Message 26 of 27
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Brax wrote:

@Bman70 wrote:

Well, it obviously can be somewhat inconvenient if you want to buy a bonus category item during those few days (and that card is the only one with that category).

Part of the problems with micromanaging utilization, which a lot of us (including me) do during periods when we don't need to.

Why all this stress for nothing? Do you want to be in position to app all the time..lol... this is another way for me to stay in the garden as I am not ready to app with all my balances reporting !

Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.