Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't pay pending charges on Amex..

tag
Bman70
Established Contributor

Can't pay pending charges on Amex..

So I was trying to pay off my Amex to zero before statement on the 17th. The balance is about 278, with 50ish pending. So I added up the pending and current charges and made a payment in that amount. However, Amex gave a message saying "The amount is greater than the allowable amount of 278" (paraphrased). I've never come across this before, my other cards seem to allow the payment regardless of whether some charges are still pending. Is this normal with Amex? Just seems inconvenient because I'll have to stop using the card for some 4 days before each statement, to allow all pending charges to post, then allow a day or two for my payment. 

EX 822
TU 834
EQ 820

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
OHWWCB
Regular Contributor

Re: Can't pay pending charges on Amex..

I don't know about AMEX, but my Chase cards will only let me pay a small percentage over my balance even if I have thousands of dollars pending. I'll put it what I want to pay and it kicks back like 3% over what my current balance is.

Hilton Honors $15,000 | AMEX Green | Chase Sapphire Preferred $9000 | Discover IT $6600 | Marriott Premiere Rewards $5000 | Chase Freedom $5500 | Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards $2000 | CapitalOne Quicksilver One $2000 | US Airways Dividend Miles $2400
Message 2 of 27
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

I think we've all tried that. I think they are trying to let the system be sure the charges are final and not just reserved amounts. Restaurant and fuel charges are notoriously off until the store batches out
NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 3 of 27
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

Amex will not let you pay until  the PT has cleared.

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 4 of 27
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

The only way to include pending transactions is to pay from your bank and use bill pay. 

Message 5 of 27
Bman70
Established Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

The only way to include pending transactions is to pay from your bank and use bill pay. 

Haven't tried this.. Will set that up and see if it works. Thanks!

EX 822
TU 834
EQ 820

Message 6 of 27
nachoslibres
Established Contributor

Most cards are like this.  I can't overpay on my Chase or Barclaycard cards.  I can only pay the actual posted balance, which means I will always have a balance on my Arrival+ because transactions post to it daily.

Message 7 of 27
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@Bman70 wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

Haven't tried this.. Will set that up and see if it works. Thanks!

it will work with all lenders ..just not sure how much they like this Smiley Tongue

Message 8 of 27
sponge_gto
New Contributor

Kudos to lg8302ch's advice. I'm sure if the numbers work out alright at the end of the day the cc companies wouldn't mind.

@lg8302ch wrote:

Amex: EDP, Platinum, SPG, Delta Gold; Chase: United no-AF, CSR, FU, IHG, Freedom; US Bank: Club Carlson Premier, Fidelity; Barclay: Rewards, SM; Discover: IT; Cap. One: Quicksilver; BoA: BBR; Consumers CU: Cash Rebates Siggy
Message 9 of 27
Santi78342
Established Contributor

I think most of my CC's will only allow me to pay 10% over the current balance. So I'll stop using a card, and switch to a different one, 4-5 days before the statement cuts and pay 2 days before it cuts.

Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.