Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't seem to get my first CC!

tag
DaylightSlaving
Regular Contributor

Re: Can't seem to get my first CC!

I'm with Jamie123 on this one.

Capital One has an established history of extending credit to those without a credit history, as well as lending to those who are currently rebuilding credit.

I went through this same ordeal last year, and it was a pain. I was what lenders called a "ghost" (someone that literally doesn't have a credit history AT ALL). And even though no credit is better than bad credit, you're still treated nearly the same; no one wants to take the risk.

Fortunately though, Capital One approved me for their Visa Plat CC, and the rest is history. I'd definitely go for it dude; my friend just got approved for the same card last week and he doesn't have any credit either. I'd say your chances are pretty high. Plus dude, Capital One is a pretty great place to start.

Whatever you do, avoid First Premier Bank and Credit One Bank. From my studies, they're only interested in taking advantage of you.

I wish you the best in your journey dude! It's all pretty serious, but remember to have fun with it (maximize rewards and cash back, get some goodies! Smiley Very Happy ).

Last App: 12/25/2013
TU: 743 (Discover) Ex: 718 (CS) Goal: 760+ Across All
Gardening Until 6/25/14+
Message 11 of 19
cheap151

Thanks for your help everyone! It seems the consensus was Cap One Secured. I looked over the fine print and didn't see anything objectionable so I applied. I has approved online! I only have to put down $49 deposit for $200. So weird I didn't even have to send any documentation in. Maybe my first denial/inquiry(Either Exxon or the credit union if they did a hard pull) showed up so I'm not a ghost. After 6 months to a year I'll try to get a real card or two with no annual fee and ditch the secured card (To avoid the annual fee). For my Credit Union membership denial, the ChexSystems box was not checked, only Equifax. I've never overdrawn my bank account I think they might use credit reports to verify identity and not bother with manual verification. I am just going to use one of those online savings accounts and stay with my current CU for checking. They are right down the street so it's convenient for getting rolls of quarters etc.
Message 12 of 19
phillyguy12
Frequent Contributor

congrats,  with the checx systems thing though if you want you can still get a free copy every so often its all apart of the regulations that were passed over the last few years, they are odd though they wont give it yo you online, you can request it online but its mailed to you.  if you know you never been overdrawn or burned anyone you should be fine, just seems a little odd to me the bank that deined you for a savings account pulled a credit report,  but then again its prob been at least 10 yrs since i opened any kinda of reg bank account so things prob have changed

Amx BCE-25k,Amx Zync-NSPL
Barclay's Mastercard-13.5k
Credit Union Visa-1k
Discover-24k, Khols-2k
Message 13 of 19
the_jan_b
Established Contributor

Congrats!  May your road to credit be filled with good things!  Smiley Happy

Enjoying your freedom? Thank a servicemember and their family!

In the garden since 26 Jun 14...

I am digitaldiva's alter-ego

Message 14 of 19
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Congratulations.  Once you begin to generate a CS -usually 6mo- you should add 2 more cc's. If you can, I would suggest going into BoA to add their card - it will graduate.  Having two cards now is better than 1. 

Message 15 of 19
DaylightSlaving
Regular Contributor

@cheap151 wrote:
Thanks for your help everyone! It seems the consensus was Cap One Secured. I looked over the fine print and didn't see anything objectionable so I applied. I has approved online! I only have to put down $49 deposit for $200. So weird I didn't even have to send any documentation in. Maybe my first denial/inquiry(Either Exxon or the credit union if they did a hard pull) showed up so I'm not a ghost. After 6 months to a year I'll try to get a real card or two with no annual fee and ditch the secured card (To avoid the annual fee). For my Credit Union membership denial, the ChexSystems box was not checked, only Equifax. I've never overdrawn my bank account I think they might use credit reports to verify identity and not bother with manual verification. I am just going to use one of those online savings accounts and stay with my current CU for checking. They are right down the street so it's convenient for getting rolls of quarters etc.

Hell yeah! Congrats dude! 

When you get the card in the mail, make sure to download the mobile app. It definitely makes life easier! 

Phase 2: Take care of her for a short while, and ask for a PC to the Quicksilver card. Smiley Tongue Bam!

Last App: 12/25/2013
TU: 743 (Discover) Ex: 718 (CS) Goal: 760+ Across All
Gardening Until 6/25/14+
Message 16 of 19
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@cheap151 wrote:

Congratulations! Take good care of your account, use it responsibly, and you'll be well on your way to building your credit. Best wishes to you.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 17 of 19
jamie123
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the Cap1 card!

Cap1 gets a lot of smack around here but they really do treat beginners and rebuilders right. It is a good lender that won't take advantage of you but they are also extremely stingy with CLI. Keep this card until you have at least 3 other cards and then close it and get your money back.

Okay, now....

Don't quit yet!

Don't stop until you get denied by Walmart. You have nothing to lose at this point. Worse case is you will have another hard pull on your reports but in the big scheme of things that is not important. The upside however is tremendous! If they do approve you you will have two credit cards to build history for the next six months. If you wait to apply for six months you will never know if you would have been approved now.

Really...You have nothing to lose right now but a little pride. Suck it up and go for it!

Let us know how it turns out.

You can do it!

Good luck!

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 18 of 19
ptilda
Established Contributor

I also have the CO scured (as well as the unsecured Journey). Also paid the minimum.Good job!

Based on info I found here, I'm planning on puting 50.00 increases to the deposit every month, and I've heard they are generough with auto CLIs with good pmt. Might be at the max in no time! Worth a try.

My Wallet:Fidelity Amex $1K, DCU $3.9K, US Bank AeroMexico $300, Quicksilver $1.3K, Cap1 secured MC $750, DiscoverIT $200, Care Credit $5K, Sportsman Guide Visa $3K, Kay $3K, Jared $3K,American Airlines CC $3K, Amazon $2.9k, Walmart $2.2k, Macy's $800 revolving/$5k furniture, Comenity retail cards $5.55kStarting Score: 618Current Score: 711
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.