cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the Amex PRG be a good "everyday" card?

tag
Essence
Contributor

Can the Amex PRG be a good "everyday" card?

Hi all,

I signed up for the PRG card tonight to take advantage of a 50k points after 1k spend offer which will help for next years vacation Smiley Happy  

Up until now - I've mainly used my Discover It card for every purchase everyday. Maybe not the smartest thing if it's not a 5% rotating category, but it's been my go to card. I've been thinking about the PRG and could it be a semi smart choice for an everyday card?

Most of my spend would fall into the 2X gas, grocerys and restaurants category, while the remaining would be general online shopping and only net 1X. However, I do love the RPG for the prestige,  benefits & protection, and  I would find the $100 airline credit useful. 

I'm guessing this card is seen as a speciality travel card, (it's hard to find the "one" best card for everything - impossible, I know)  but in my situation would it be better to use for everyday than Discover?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can the Amex PRG be a good "everyday" card?

It can be a good everyday card for someone with the right spend. If you buy a lot of plane tickets or eat out a lot, the PRG is great. I prefer the CSP since my restaurant spend is high and my travel spend is not purely for air travel. Both restaurant and travel categories combined are about 50% of my overall CC spend. If I swapped to the PRG, I would need another general travel card since the PRG is much more narrow for travel. 

As you indicated yourself, you cannot maximize benefits with one card. However, if you want to use only 1 card and get decent benefits, you need to take a close look at your spend. Next, you need to value points from various programs. Finally, you need to figure out which card gives you optimal overall rewards for your spend. I use 5 cards on a regular basis to optimize my spend and a 6th floater sign-up bonus card when I have one. If I had to pick just one, I would go with the CSP since I value its points at over 2 CPP, and thus even a 1 point category beats a 2% cash back card. Moreover, a sizeable portion of my spend is on 2x categories for that card, making it more like a 3-4% card for me if I used it for all of my spend. However, the best card for you might be very different if your spend pattern is different from mine. The Citi TYP and Amex PRG are also solid choices for my spend (TYP is technically best if I liked all its transfer partners, but I only like Singapore among its partners).

The PRG is not a good grocery/gas card. Technically, the BCP or EDP would be better. If spend is low enough the Sallie Mae can be a great choice as well, but it is not so great for people without Bookstore/Amazon spend and higher grocery spends. If you want an MR card, the EDP and PRG are both choices since they both have bonuses for some of your spend. Do you spend more on groceries or restaurants? Maybe that will answer your question. 

The PRG has more prestige than the EDP, but prestige is not something I consider with cards. If you want the minimal prestige you can get with a card someone with 40k income and less than horrible credit (high 600s/low 700s) can get, then sure you can enjoy the prestige. The airline benefit is worth less than its cash equivalent even if you use it. The AF more than compensates for the airline credit ($120 higher AF than the EDP for instance). Therefore, unless you benefit from the PRG bonuses more so than the EDP/BCE/whatever other cards bonus, you should pick another card. Simply put, if comparing the PRG and EDP, even counting the $100 credit, the AF differential puts it $20 behind. Unless it has over $20 (probably more) of a benefit over the EDP in points, the PRG won't be worth it. 

TLDR: Look for the card that gives you the best overall benefit and use it if you want a 1 card strategy for efficient rewards. It will never beat out a multicard strategy, but it can be simpler and still reasonably rewarding. Prestige is nice, but unless you are walking around with a Centurion or similar card, any sub-average credit/income individual can likely also get the card. Cards like the PRG are not prestigious as I have seen people with profiles like 40k income and 680 scores getting it on these forums as well as FT. 

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

You have to see what the benefits back into pocket after initial spend bonus. Consjder this when getting 2 or 3 at once. I got a little overwhelmed on my spree, after paying ahead a few bills I HAD to suck it up and buy tools. Tragic right? Heh.

If you re going to travel find if those prg points will set you up towards a trip compared to a card dedicated. No matter what bank, it still seems you need more than one card to get benefit of all purchase categories.
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

It can be but if you ever want to carry a balance, which most of us do off and on, then I would couple it with a BCE. If you want non Am Ex cards to complement your everyday selection IMO, a card like Quicksilver or Discover with cash back, or the CSP or Double Cash type cards if your profile is strong enough to be approved for them.

Message 4 of 14
sandsanta
Contributor

I think the PRG is an excellent card if you have solid cashflow.  I've used it exclusively for years and only recently began to branch out to revolvers from other banks. 

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

EDP is better for that, unless restaurants and airlines are a larger part of your daily spend than groceries, gas and unbonused spend. That would be pretty unusual for most people.
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think it can be. But obviously it all depends on what you're spending your money on.

Obviously, you really need to be spending money on airline tickets to benefit from the card, and so you don't have to spend an outrageous amount on gas/groceries. But the restaurant and $100 travel credit are great additions which do add a lot of value to the card. This brings the points needed to pay for the AF to around 10,000-20,000. And adding up monthly spending you can easily find out if you'd benefit or not.

If I didn't travel overseas once a year though there would be no reason for me to have the card. But for people who do not buy airline tickets, there are much better choices out there.

Message 7 of 14
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

For any card you have to look to see what makes the most of your spend.  With rewards programs like MR you also have to carefully look at redemptions to ensure that you can make the most of the points accrued as redemptions can have a significant impact on point value.  There really isn't enough info in your OP to provide a definitive answer.  Take a look at the MR site and see if you can leverage the travel partners and what sort of value you'd get out of redemptions.

@Essence wrote:

However, I do love the RPG for the prestige

Prestige doesn't come from a card.  Run the numbers for your spend, look at redemptions and consider other tangible benefits.  If you think the PRG is prestigious then keep in mind that the underwriting requirements for all the AmEx charge cards are basically the same (except the Centurion) and that they are generally easier to qualify for than AmEx's credit cards.

Message 8 of 14
jbsea
Established Contributor

I myself love the PRG.  For the most part it is my go to card.  I do use my NFCU Cash Rewards for the 1.5% cash back to with it.  If i am ever think I may have to carry a balance. But really those are the two cards that I use most.  I also like to travel and for my family this is the best card.  Like everyone else has said you have to look at what your spending is and what your goals are.  This works great for me and my goals but you will have to look at what you want form the card and decide from there.

Amex Gold / Amex Platinum / Amex Marriott Brilliant/ Amex BCP/ Capital One Venture (AU) / Capital One Savor One/ Discover / NFCU Cash Rewards / BOA Unlimited Cash Rewards / NFCU GO Rewards (AU) / Amex EDP / NFCU Flagship Rewards / Chase Freedom (AU) / Capital One QuickSilver / Citi Costco (AU) / Amex Delta
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
EDP is better for that, unless restaurants and airlines are a larger part of your daily spend than groceries, gas and unbonused spend. That would be pretty unusual for most people.

I agree, for my spending patterns the EDP is better.

PRG

Groceries: 2x

Gas: 2x

Base: 1x

Restaurants: 2x

Air Travel: 3x

EDP (assuming 30 transactions per month)

Groceries: 4.5x

Gas: 3x

Base: 1.5x

If you're booking a lot of air travel and eating out I could see the PRG being better.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.