Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can this happen? Ask for CLI and get CLD

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can this happen? Ask for CLI and get CLD

I've always wondered if you call and ask for a CLI, take either a soft or hard pull. Then not only

get declined for a CLI but your report shows something they don't like and get a CLD.  Can that happen? 

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
bamagirl1
Established Contributor

Re: Can this happen? Ask for CLI and get CLD

i've always wondered that too
~01/2008 Ficos TU 571-EX 647-EQ 652~
~3/21/2009 Ficos TU 705 EX 702 EQ 692~
~9/9/09 Ficos TU 718 EQ 693 EX???
~06/25/12 Ficos TU 719 EQ 677 EX??
Message 2 of 20
ficonovice
Frequent Contributor

Anything can happen at any time. Credit Card companies have extraordinary measures at their fingertips and they can virtually do anything they want at any time (with or without justifiable cause)....A credit line one day of $10,000 may be reduced to 0 the next day if they get antsy (and it may have nothing to do with you and your present situation)...

Read the fine print, they're in complete control. About all they can't do is post fraudelant charges to your account (though many of their fees may seem exorbitant and borderline fraudelant such as over limit fees, late fees, express payment fees, on line fees--though it's mostly the sub-prime cards that really stick it to you...)...

Rust never sleeps and neither does my fico score...
Message 3 of 20
score_building
Senior Contributor

this has become increasingly common but seems so far to happen only in spurts with various issuers (boa comes to mind) who may've recently tightened standards and since the advent of our economic recession.  i have never had this problem with boa or any other issuer so far.

however, i seem to recall several posts from members who have had this exact form of surprise AA.  it helps to have all your duckies lined up (low util, no recent negs, not a lot of new accounts, etc) and to proceed with caution when you ask for luv Smiley Happy

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 4 of 20
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Despite pristine reports, no new credit cards in a year and no new credit at all in the last 350 days, and steady and high scores, I am NOT asking for any CLIs in this climate.

Let the chips fall where they may

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 5 of 20
score_building
Senior Contributor

(i went out on a limb to spot treat my care credit acct UTIL after a HUGE vet bill but otherwise) +1

@MidnightVoice wrote:

I am NOT asking for any CLIs in this climate.

Let the chips fall where they may

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 6 of 20
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Went to dinner with the girls & we began talking about the credit climate.  One girl had her visa cut from 10k to 4600k....she said her scores are all high 700's with a clean report.  She was pretty bummed and I don't blame her.

The ONLY people I'm looking for cli with now are Macys.  I just increased my o/d with NFCU.

Message 7 of 20
jmbfl
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've always wondered if you call and ask for a CLI, take either a soft or hard pull. Then not only

get declined for a CLI but your report shows something they don't like and get a CLD.  Can that happen? 

Anytime you draw attention to you account it is up for grabs. That said - soft INQ CLI requests are not likely to result in a CLD. Anytime you give a human cause to review your CBR's or cause "something" to appear on your CBR's that upsets an issuer (and in this case it will usually be their computer program) you can be hit with a CLD or APRI. On the otherhand you can be hit with a CLD "just because", that is "just because" they can do it. The "agreement" is only a contract when it inures to their favor. They can change the terms at will, anytime.
Message 8 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't remember where I read it (I think it might have been another site), but someone called for a cli and had their card canceled due to derogs that were on their credit report when they originally got the card. It may not be kosher, but it's their bat and their ball.
Message 9 of 20
JRInWA
Valued Member

It happened to me in October with my Discover Card.  Opened the account in March 08.  Requested a CLI in October 08.  My CL was $3,000.  DENIED.  Then one week later CLD to $0.  In addition, the account was suspended Smiley Mad The reason?  Too many new accounts opened in past 12 months.  I called for recon.  CSR stated they needed to see 6 months of usage on ALL accounts prior to reopening account.  I closed it immediately.  Bal $0.  So anyway, yes it can happen.

Sadly, I went on an app spree afterwards Smiley Sad

Message Edited by JRInWA on 12-10-2008 03:31 AM

Starting Score: EQ 797, TU 781, EX 781 (03/15/18)
Current Score: EQ 797, TU 781, EX 781 (03/15/18)
Goal Score: 800+ across the board!

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.