Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Official NFCU CLI Guide

tag
isuspectnargles
Valued Member

Re: Can we have "OFFICIAL NFCU CLI - HOW IT WORKS!"

Joined NFCU in November 2013. Originally applied for the secured product (I was low 600's at the time and wanted to triple-ensure I didn't get declined) but the finance lady called me and said, Uh, you're qualified for a better card. Do you want to cancel your app and reapply? I said sure. Got $5k CL cashRewards Visa Signature. I was SHOCKED. SHOCKED! lol! (Highest limit prior to this was my Citi card at $2800.) Did a few BT's, charged some tires and some Christmas stuff. I was and am revolving the balance. A few months later, wanting to lower my util which was about 40%, I applied for a CLI and after a HP (womp) got $7500. Colored me SHOCKED again, after only 3 months!

Just recently I reapplied for a CLI and with a SP got $8500. I asked for $10k and they countered, so following the advice of the OP in this thread will wait awhile to ask again. It did ask me if I wanted to accept the increase or ask for a further review, which I assume would involve a HP. Not willing to do that right now. Currently using the card for dental work then paying that part of it off when I get the FSA reimbursement, in addition to some fairly large monthly payments, plus using it a few times a month for bigger ($50+) expenses that I don't want to charge to my much, much smaller limits. The balance is slowly declining but still about 25-30% util. I don't mind... until our income drastically improves I will probably not PIF since it has a large limit, allowing for the larger purchases with less score impact. I am debt snowballing my other cards and once the Citi is at 10% util or less I may start repaying the NFCU more rapidly.

As for how I qualified, brother is active military. Actually not anymore... separated about two months ago. But once you join, anyone in your immediate family or household can join regardless of having military or DoD affiliation. So my boyfriend just joined because we live together. And now that he's a member, his mother/father could join. And so on. Between the awesome lending practices, the customer service, easy checking products with no fees or hoops to jump through (and mine earns interest!), as well as great mobile app and website, I can't think of anything I'd improve, and I wish everyone in the country could join NFCU. We are moving our joint products over (and he was just approved for the same card with $14k limit), and I intend to make it my lifelong bank. LOVE them!

FICO 646EX 649EQ 630TU | Walmart 677TU | CreditKarma 641TU | Quizzle VantageScore 680 | Current Goal 700

NavCheck $15k | NFCU cashRewards $9k | Capital One Plat $2.85k | Citi $2.8k | CareCredit $2.7k | Capital One QS1 $2.6k | Walmart $2k | Chase Amazon Rewards $1k
Message 1641 of 5,746
Jlu
Established Contributor

So if I had a room mate who was active duty I could join?

How about someone in the reserves? Does it need to be active duty?

I know I could find this with a quick search but it's a lazy Sunday afternoon so cut me some slack Smiley Happy

I also heard someone could refer you..

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 1642 of 5,746
divedeep
Established Member

Well, I said I'd update, so guess I should. Smiley Wink

I did get approved for $8k in Navcheck in addition to the Signature cashRewards. Needed pay stubs for the Navcheck. They changed the status to "Conditional Approval" on Sunday, I sent them my info, and received a text that it was approved on Monday... although online it still says "Conditional". I am assuming that is because I haven't gotten the promissary yet? *shrug*

So, expanded my credit by $29k in 2 days. The interest rate isn't too bad either. Utilization will be down to 1.24% if my calculations are correct, whenever the CRA's update.

Thanks for this thread, wouldn't have even thought to go through this without it! Smiley Happy

Amex BCP $3500 | NFCU Signature cashRewards $21,000 | NFCU NavCheck: $8000
Chase Freedom $5500 | Barclay's Carnival MC $6000 | Chase Amazon Visa $1500
Capital One Quicksilver $4000 | Best Buy Store $1000

Scores: SW EQ(7/20/14): 685 | MF EX(5/31/14): 687 | Barclay TU(7/23/14): 661
Message 1643 of 5,746
lkvf99

update:

originally approved for cash rewards 9/13 with a 500.00 credit limit. Requested 1st CLI on 4/22/14 for 10,000. Approved for 4,000. I'm so happy. I really didn't expect to get 10,000. This is my highest limit card. The rebuilding is going great. I love NFCU. Haven't attempted NAV check yet. I think I will wait about 6 more months and ask for another increase then apply for NAV check.

Message 1644 of 5,746
TatorTodd
Regular Contributor

house member, yes. though they will probably require proof.  Read the recent post about someone doing this and saying they were family, and what they did....they will also need to have an open account with them it seems.  Their website is very clear about eligibility as well

@Jlu wrote:

So if I had a room mate who was active duty I could join?

How about someone in the reserves? Does it need to be active duty?

I know I could find this with a quick search but it's a lazy Sunday afternoon so cut me some slack Smiley Happy

I also heard someone could refer you..

NCFU Flagship(80k) DC Elite (40k) Cash Sapphire Preferred(38k) DC Premier (30k) NFCU CashRewards (25k) USAA Amex (22k) USAA MasterCard (16k) Barclay Arrival+ Elite (15k) Nordstrom (15k) BofA Rewards (12.5k) 4 Amices (50k)

As of 10/13/14
Experian: 787 - EquiFax: 798 - TU: 789
Message 1645 of 5,746
Jlu
Established Contributor

My family is very private-sector orientated so it looks like NFCU will never be within my reach.

On the other hand I currently am in cahoots with Penfed with a checking account and Promise Visa app in progress.

*Crosses Fingers*

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 1646 of 5,746
isuspectnargles
Valued Member

This thread is the worst!!!! Cat Mad I got antsy because of all the successes (even though I KNEW when I got the counter that I was pushing it) and I reapplied. 3-5 business day message... tomorrow is the 5th business day since I reapplied and no increase, so I assume a letter is on the way. Smiley Sad Oh well... at least they'll have an updated HP so I can try again in a little bit, that seemed to work for some people. I don't have super high income on my own (40's) so maybe I'm hitting the limit. I would love to get to $10k, though... I would be completely and totally satisfied with that. It's only $1500, NFCU, pleasepleaseplease! lol Smiley Very Happy

Boyfriend just joined and was approved for the cashRewards Visa sig for $14k... GRR better credit than me! I am thinking next year we will apply jointly for the Flagship.

FICO 646EX 649EQ 630TU | Walmart 677TU | CreditKarma 641TU | Quizzle VantageScore 680 | Current Goal 700

NavCheck $15k | NFCU cashRewards $9k | Capital One Plat $2.85k | Citi $2.8k | CareCredit $2.7k | Capital One QS1 $2.6k | Walmart $2k | Chase Amazon Rewards $1k
Message 1647 of 5,746
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Well, I didn't get the "auto cli" at my 6 month mark. My overall util was 1%, and my NFCU card was at a $0 bal. so, I attempted a cli online, and got the 3-5 day, and my denial letter todaySmiley Sad stating....bankruptcy, excessive credit obligations (I have none), and income not sufficient for limit requested (I requested for my limit to be $15k, only $5 more than what it is now), my income is $59k,
Oh well... Let the time do its thing, get the scores up, inquiries age and hopefull in October when my card is one year, I'll get an auto.
Message 1648 of 5,746
isuspectnargles
Valued Member

Question...

Do most of the people with very high limits (or general success with CLI for NFCU) have a banking relationship as well? I have personal checking and savings, two custodial accts for my brother's kids, and just opened joint checking and savings. Also have an IRA account I just opened since they are doing a free $100 promo.

Message 1649 of 5,746
isuspectnargles
Valued Member

Just replying to myself... again, in this goshdarn (in my non-myFICO life I would not be saying goshdarn...) thread with its dangerous successes...

I individually applied for the NavCheck LOC on the new checking account I just opened that I'm adding boyfriend as a joint on, and was immediately approved for all $15,000! Firstly, WOW! Secondly, why on earth would they decline the $1500 increase to $10k on my CC? I have 30% util on it but I pay around $1000 per month.

If I don't get either the increase or the decline letter tomorrow, I will either apply again or call customer service. Or both, lol. I understand it can be harder to get a CLI than a new product sometimes, hello Chase, but we're talking about $1,500 vs. $15,000!

Message 1650 of 5,746
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.