cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we start a new BK Friendly List of CC?

tag
shalane85
Frequent Contributor

Can we start a new BK Friendly List of CC?

Honestly the ones posted on this forum are outdated and many of them are non exhistent in 2012 such as Tribute, Orchard, and HSBC. I currently have one cc with Capitol One, and I am having the hardest time getting any other cc approval. My BK was dishcharged last July so that is the only thing holding me back. I'm not sure where else to apply? Maybe I need to wait until my BK is older. I checked my equifax score today and it stands at 628.

Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Can we start a new BK Friendly List of CC?

Probably should sticky this after it compiles some.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 37
shalane85
Frequent Contributor

I agree because the current llist we have is from 5 YEARS AGO! Very outdated.

Message 3 of 37
Weights
Regular Contributor

Unfortnately, I'm not really sure.  I've heard of Barclays sometimes approving someone a year or two post BK through the backdoor number, given that they've established a good history after the BK via secured credit card, no new collections, etc. The only ones I know of which are ok with bankruptices, unfortunately, are Crap One, HSBC, and Orchard's. You might try Fifth-Third as well; a good friend of mine obtained a secured account with them 2 months after chapter 7 BK, and was promised a conversion to an unsecured account if he builds a good year of history with them.  One I can tell you to avoid for sure is US Bank; they pretty much told him that even with their secured card, they almost never approve someone w/a bankruptcy on record. Makes you wonder why they even offer it.....Good luck to you! 

Message 4 of 37
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

A BK from last July is pretty fresh. You need to let that BK age.

Message 5 of 37
shalane85
Frequent Contributor

That was what I was afraid to hear. I just talked to NFCU and they say they offer a sceured cc and a secured loan. I may try that option.

Message 6 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

For me, BK discharged 2/10.  

Received Cap1 secured 9/10

Unsecured Cap 1 and Orchard (now Cap 1) 9/11

8/12 - Target, Barclays, Merrick, Walmart

9/12 - JCP

My score in 9/11 was 520, now has been in the mid-high 600s. Don't know what it was in 2010. Probably lower than 500. 

Message 7 of 37
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@shalane85 wrote:

That was what I was afraid to hear. I just talked to NFCU and they say they offer a sceured cc and a secured loan. I may try that option.

Take it. A secured CC and loan from CU is an excellent way of rebuilding credit.

Message 8 of 37
aussiesareforever
Established Contributor

There is a thread currently running in the BK section. I think it is titled BK friendly creditors.

Barclay is BK friendly. They like to see at least one positive tradeline that is six months ago. Be prepared to call to recon. I doubt that you will be automatically approved. Discover is also BK friendly. They also like to see positive tradelines on your reports post BK but they've been known to issue cards as early as a year post BK. GE bank also tends to be BK friendly. My favorite recommendation is your local credit union. Definitely take the NFCU offer!

As always, YMMV

BK in January 2008---Barclay's Apple Financing Card ($10,000) --- Capital One Quicksilver ($13,000)--- Platinum Delta Skymiles ($35,000) --- GEMB CareCredit ($10,000) --- AUFCU ($10000)---Discover IT ($33,000)

Experian 835 Transunion 828-- August 2018
Message 9 of 37
compassion101
Established Contributor

From my experience:

Friendly:

CapOne

GE

Barclays

Discover

Unfriendly:

AMEX

Chase

BOA

I got approvals from barclays and discover recently, both were 8 years post-BK. Pretty sure I burned discover in the BK too.

Had denials from chase and AMEX a year ago listing the BK as reasons. Had burned chase but not AMEX, fortunately got into chase through a backdoor. Also denied 8 years post BK from BOA who I had burned.

Message 10 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.