cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we start a new BK Friendly List of CC?

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Can we start a new BK Friendly List of CC?

@compassion101 wrote:

From my experience:

Friendly:

CapOne

GE

Barclays

Discover

Unfriendly:

AMEX

Chase

BOA

I got approvals from barclays and discover recently, both were 8 years post-BK. Pretty sure I burned discover in the BK too.

Had denials from chase and AMEX a year ago listing the BK as reasons. Had burned chase but not AMEX, fortunately got into chase through a backdoor. Also denied 8 years post BK from BOA who I had burned.

Von Maur

Macy's & Bloomingdales

Neiman Marcus & Saks

Nordstrom

Kay Jewelry - they are company of 3 and you can have all 3 if you want, HP for each though.

Navy Federal

Target

Firestone

NOT FRIENDLY:

WFFNB (Express, VS, NY & Com, etc.)

Hope when we get all done and updated, just 1 page with all are posted!!!

Message 11 of 37
daissy73

I filed chapter 7 bankruptcy in Dec 05-- here is what I have received since then..
Orchard Bank-opened in 07-limit was 200-now 1000
HSBC-opened in 09- limit was 650 or 750 (cant remember) now 1150
JFCU-opened in 07-limit 1000
Capital One platinum- opened in 07 limit was 300 now 2250
Walmart- opened in 07- limit was 150 now 900
Bank of America secured-- opened in 07--made addtl deposits periodically by the 1 year mark limit was 2500-- called in requested that they unsecure-- they did--but no increase at the time--got a product change to the bofa amex about a yr and a half ago--requested an increase in dec 11- denied-- requested an increase again last month (mid august) increased by 2500-- limit is now 5000
American Eagle opened in 08 limit 150-now 450
Merrick Bank opened in 06-limit was 600 or 700 cant remember it was a preapproved offer mailed to me-limit now is 2600
Capital One-opened in 09- limit 500
Ameriprise- opened in 09- limit 2000
Jared--opened in 09-- limit was 3000- they have been periodically increasing it and the limit is now 10,000-
Penfed Cash rewards card--opened in 09--this was initially a decline-- i faxed in a recon letter and was approved for 5000 but have to fax paystubs also--this card is now switched to the Penfed platinum rewards card--
Merrick Bank (formerly Hooters card) opened in 09-limit was 1500 limit now is 2200

Sorry this is so lengthy-- but I have been able to make some great credit improvements by reading this forum since my bankruptcy and wanted to share my experience- hopefully it will help someone else...YMMV
Message 12 of 37
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@daissy73 wrote:
I filed chapter 7 bankruptcy in Dec 05-- here is what I have received since then..
Orchard Bank-opened in 07-limit was 200-now 1000
HSBC-opened in 09- limit was 650 or 750 (cant remember) now 1150
JFCU-opened in 07-limit 1000
Capital One platinum- opened in 07 limit was 300 now 2250
Walmart- opened in 07- limit was 150 now 900
Bank of America secured-- opened in 07--made addtl deposits periodically by the 1 year mark limit was 2500-- called in requested that they unsecure-- they did--but no increase at the time--got a product change to the bofa amex about a yr and a half ago--requested an increase in dec 11- denied-- requested an increase again last month (mid august) increased by 2500-- limit is now 5000
American Eagle opened in 08 limit 150-now 450
Merrick Bank opened in 06-limit was 600 or 700 cant remember it was a preapproved offer mailed to me-limit now is 2600
Capital One-opened in 09- limit 500
Ameriprise- opened in 09- limit 2000
Jared--opened in 09-- limit was 3000- they have been periodically increasing it and the limit is now 10,000-
Penfed Cash rewards card--opened in 09--this was initially a decline-- i faxed in a recon letter and was approved for 5000 but have to fax paystubs also--this card is now switched to the Penfed platinum rewards card--
Merrick Bank (formerly Hooters card) opened in 09-limit was 1500 limit now is 2200

Sorry this is so lengthy-- but I have been able to make some great credit improvements by reading this forum since my bankruptcy and wanted to share my experience- hopefully it will help someone else...YMMV

Are these everything you have and all open as of today?

Might be time to garden out some AF cards and go more prime.

Walmart, I would call right now and ask for CLI through automated system, if you use it at all, you should have no issues getting that into $3k+ range or get yourself an offer online for upgrade to Walmart Discover with the long history and better higher limits now. oh and America Eagle with GE too.

Congrats on all your cards though, some limits I didn't think possible on some cards!

Message 13 of 37
daissy73

Thanks!!! yes these are the cards I currently have open today... I just got an increase on the walmart & american eagle last month-- through the automated line but I only asked for small increases because I wasnt sure if the automated line countered or not... but I do want to apply for some new more prime cards around Dec or Jan my utilization should be at about 10% or so around that time-- which cards do u think I should try for at that time???
Message 14 of 37
jdirilo
Frequent Contributor

I had a BK ch7 discharged in Oct 09. At that time(and up until I found this forum in July) I knew nothing about rebuilding credit. I didn't think I would ever have a chance at getting credit ever again. So, I didn't even try for 2 years. Then in June I got my first auto loan that is actually reporting to my credit(I have always bought from buy here pay here places) and that has been on time every month. I got a cap 1 secured card $200 limit at that time as well. I recently got a secured $500 WF card, and unsecured $500 cap 1 and NFCU cards. I would say, if you qualify for an account with NFCU, apply for a card with them. My scores are ridiculously low. Tu is 602 as of today, and the other two im sure are in the mid-high 500's. 

As for denials....you name it, I was denied. Recon'd and denied again. JCP, walmart, discover, chase, barclays, credit one, the discover matrix, pretty sure there are more(since i have had 10 plus inq in a two month period) but almost every single one said the BK was the issue, and insufficient re-establishment of credit.

Message 15 of 37
jdirilo
Frequent Contributor

Oh, and BofA as well denied me.

Message 16 of 37
shalane85
Frequent Contributor

Well Navy Federal approved me for a $500 secured visa!
Message 17 of 37
jdirilo
Frequent Contributor

COngrats! TOld ya! I never even heard of them until I came to these forums! I am glad I did though. 

Message 18 of 37
amercnchopz34
Established Contributor

Post BK cards      Chap7 June/ 2005 

I guess all can be considered BK friendly.......as your BK ages

HSBC Discover  opened 07     1300 CL

Cap one platinum  2008      2000 CL

Barclays MC   11-2011      5000 CL

Fairwinds    4-2012      2500 CL

Alliant Visa   4-2012   5000 CL

Chevron  2010    1000 CL

Best Buy Store card    2008     750 CL  (shutting down  June 2013)

Message 19 of 37
shalane85
Frequent Contributor

I honestly thought they would decline me since BOA did it to me.
Message 20 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.