cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we talk about APRs on rewards cards?

tag
isoldmyatlas
Frequent Contributor

Can we talk about APRs on rewards cards?

We all know interest rates tend to be higher on credit cards that offer rewards, like cash back, points, etc.  My APRs are pretty varied - my lowest is 15.24% on my Discover It and AmEx BCE cards, but those used to be much higher (I ask for reductions every 6 months since it's only a soft pull with them).

My highest, of course, is Capital One Quicksilver at 24.9%.  It was my first card so that's why the interest rate is so high.  I ask for reductions every 6 months but they can only ever offer me a temporary 6 month reduction...to 20.9%, usually.  I never carry a balance so I've never paid interest, but I like playing the "lower my rate" game!  It makes me feel better about my credit profile.

So what are your APRs on your rewards cards?  How often do you ask for reductions?

TU: 793 (6/13/17) | EQ: 787 (7/17/17) | EX: 788 (6/15/18)

Cap1 Quicksilver, $4,750 (4/2012); Discover IT, $40,000 (10/2012); Chase Amazon Rewards, $14,600 (10/2012); AMEX Hilton HHonors, $15,000 (11/2012); AMEX Blue Cash Everyday, $15,000 (01/2013); Barclaycard Arrival+, $10,000 (07/2013); Citi Home Depot $8,000 (06/2018)
Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Can we talk about APRs on rewards cards?

I like playing the APR reduction game too. Whether or not you tend to carry balances, it's better to have a lower APR. Peace of mind.

My Amazon Visa and Quicksilver are both 22.9. They're both fairly new so it's not surprising, I had a lot of inq's when I got them. I will work on getting the Quicksilver down later in the year (they said September when the 0% ends I can call them). The Amazon Visa is Chase and they don't seem very willing to lower APRs in general but I will try again after awhile.

BJ's Mastercard is something atrocious like 24% but I don't use it outside of BJ's because there's little point and I PIF definitely right away. Sallie Mae is 20.9%, again supposedly Barclay will lower it over time, and I will keep on them about it.

My "best" APR is Discover, 17.24%. Amex BCE is 18.99. Both Discover and Amex are good about lowering APR every 6 months in my experience if you show good history, so I'm convinced they will continue to drop.

Message 2 of 32
isoldmyatlas
Frequent Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

I like playing the APR reduction game too. Whether or not you tend to carry balances, it's better to have a lower APR. Peace of mind.

My Amazon Visa and Quicksilver are both 22.9. They're both fairly new so it's not surprising, I had a lot of inq's when I got them. I will work on getting the Quicksilver down later in the year (they said September when the 0% ends I can call them). The Amazon Visa is Chase and they don't seem very willing to lower APRs in general but I will try again after awhile.

BJ's Mastercard is something atrocious like 24% but I don't use it outside of BJ's because there's little point and I PIF definitely right away. Sallie Mae is 20.9%, again supposedly Barclay will lower it over time, and I will keep on them about it.

My "best" APR is Discover, 17.24%. Amex BCE is 18.99. Both Discover and Amex are good about lowering APR every 6 months in my experience if you show good history, so I'm convinced they will continue to drop.

I've had the same experiences with AmEx and Discover - they're really good about doing it, or if there are no offers available, the agent will generally check with their supervisor without me having to ask.  I've never been declined for a reduction by either of them.  I put most of my spending on my AmEx and Discover cards purely because they're the perfect combo of easy rewards and great customer service.

I also have the Amazon Visa from Chase but I think they require a hard pull to lower an interest rate, if I've heard correctly.  So I haven't tried it because of that.  I'm not sure about Barclays...they seem to like me but I try not to poke the bear Smiley Happy

TU: 793 (6/13/17) | EQ: 787 (7/17/17) | EX: 788 (6/15/18)

Cap1 Quicksilver, $4,750 (4/2012); Discover IT, $40,000 (10/2012); Chase Amazon Rewards, $14,600 (10/2012); AMEX Hilton HHonors, $15,000 (11/2012); AMEX Blue Cash Everyday, $15,000 (01/2013); Barclaycard Arrival+, $10,000 (07/2013); Citi Home Depot $8,000 (06/2018)
Message 3 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rewards card and APR are mutually exclusive. What are you carrying balance on a rewards card?

Good Rewards card strategy.
1. Use it
2. Pay in full
3. Collect rewards (tiny)
4. Profit!!!!!

Bad rewards card strategy.
1. Use it
2. Do not pay in full
3. Collect rewards (tiny)
4. Pay interest (lot of)
5. Negative profit.
Message 4 of 32
kdm31091
Super Contributor

OK we all know that its silly to carry a balance on a rewards card. We don't need this debate in every thread. The OP even stated they are aware of it.

That said **bleep** happens and you occasionally may carry a balance so why not have a lower APR? You should still care about a lower APR regardless unless you are wealthy.

Yes I get it that interest eats up the rewards. Its common sense. But that wasn't the debate or question the OP presented.
Message 5 of 32
chwebb1
Established Contributor

@isoldmyatlas wrote:

We all know interest rates tend to be higher on credit cards that offer rewards, like cash back, points, etc.  My APRs are pretty varied - my lowest is 15.24% on my Discover It and AmEx BCE cards, but those used to be much higher (I ask for reductions every 6 months since it's only a soft pull with them).

My highest, of course, is Capital One Quicksilver at 24.9%.  It was my first card so that's why the interest rate is so high.  I ask for reductions every 6 months but they can only ever offer me a temporary 6 month reduction...to 20.9%, usually.  I never carry a balance so I've never paid interest, but I like playing the "lower my rate" game!  It makes me feel better about my credit profile.

So what are your APRs on your rewards cards?  How often do you ask for reductions?

I ask every 6 months. Here are my APRs (from lowest to highest):

Barclaycard Ring (no rewards) 8%

BoA Better Balance Rewards: 11.99% (Started at 18.99%, BoA reduced to 11.99% in one call)

BoA Cash Rewards: 12.99% (started at 19.99%, BoA reduced to 12.99% in the same call as the BBR).

Barclaycard Sallie Mae: 13.99%

AMEX BCE: 14.99% (started at 17.99%)

Citi Double Cash 15.99% (Started at 17.99%)

Discover It 17.24% (Started at 18.99%)

AMEX Blue Sky 22.24%

I also play the "Lower my APR game" because I see no con to doing so, and if you ever do need to carry a balance (I'd obviously do it on my Ring first), it's better to have the lower APR than to not have it. I am obviously going to work on getting the BCE, Double Cash, Discover, and Blue Sky cards down further, since I'm not yet at the lowest APR offered on those. I'll probably also try to get BoA to lower those APRs further than the lowest advertised APR after a year or so, since I have heard that they will do so.

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 6 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

You should always have contingency plan when the sh$%t hits the fan. In your credit card arsenal, you should have a card that has high limit, no BT fee, low APR.

Message 7 of 32
mikelo22
Established Contributor

Lowest is my Discover It @ 10.99% APR.

Highest is Citi Double Cash @ 22.99% APR.

Discover was all too eager to give me a great APR, but I can just forget about getting any CLI luv from them apparently. Smiley Sad

Message 8 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

BofA Travel Rewards 7.24%

BofA Cash Rewards 9.9%

NASA Platinum 9.9%

NFCU Flagship 10.9%

Diners Club Elite 13.15%

i'll call Navy in June and request 9.9% 

Message 9 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

08/2014 Chase Sapphire - 15.9% APR

10/2014 Sallie Mae - 20.9% APR

10/2014 Discover - 18.9% APR

10/2014 BCE - 17.9% APR

All except Sapphire are fairly new cards but I do plan to inquire about APR reductions every six months. Maybe not with Sapphire if it requires a HP....

Not that I ever carry a balance or necessarily need the lowest APR but if an offer is available no harm in asking Smiley Happy Emergency funds would cover an emergency but again I dont see the harm in asking.

Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.