Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you apply new AMEX after declined CLI

tag
pat0812
Regular Contributor

Can you apply new AMEX after declined CLI

I have the gold charge card and the blue with $13,200
On that one I have $4000 balance and was denied a CLI because asked too high i guess
Can I still apply for a new additional card?
What are the chances of getting a new card if I have balances on another card?
My FICO is about 744 with Experian
FICO 8's EX 770 EQ 751 TU 771 (1/16/17)
Amex Gold Premier rewards ( Charge Card)
Amex Blue cash - $47,800 Wells Fargo - $15,000 Citibank Simplicity - $13,800 Barclays Apple - $13,000 Walmart Mastercard - $8000 Chase Slate - $7,200 Discover It - $5,500 Capital One - $5,250
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

Re: Can you apply new AMEX after declined CLI

You can apply. Denials for "asking too high' don't really exist, from my experience, AMEX would have just counter offered. Chances are denial is for something else.

Conventional wisdom is that is you apply for new card and are denied it will only be a SP.

They may use that same SP on file that was used for CLI request in determining new account though.

Good luck!

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pat0812 wrote:
I have the gold charge card and the blue with $13,200
On that one I have $4000 balance and was denied a CLI because asked too high i guess
Can I still apply for a new additional card?
What are the chances of getting a new card if I have balances on another card?
My FICO is about 744 with Experian

My Everyday was approved with a $2,000 balance showing on my BSP. Can't hurt, right? If denied it'll likely be a SP.

Message 3 of 13
pat0812
Regular Contributor

If my CR is clean, never late payments, no negatives do I have a chance to get on their blacklist for asking CLI and new card ?

FICO 8's EX 770 EQ 751 TU 771 (1/16/17)
Amex Gold Premier rewards ( Charge Card)
Amex Blue cash - $47,800 Wells Fargo - $15,000 Citibank Simplicity - $13,800 Barclays Apple - $13,000 Walmart Mastercard - $8000 Chase Slate - $7,200 Discover It - $5,500 Capital One - $5,250
Message 4 of 13
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

@pat0812 wrote:

If my CR is clean, never late payments, no negatives do I have a chance to get on their blacklist for asking CLI and new card ?

Is this a serious question?

Message 5 of 13
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

@pat0812 wrote:

I'm confused

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 6 of 13
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I'm a bit confused too, but no, there's no way you'd be on a blacklist because you asked for a CLI....

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pat0812 wrote:

Um... no?

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pat0812 wrote:

Amex isn't THAT evil man.

Message 9 of 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@pat0812 wrote:

Amex isn't THAT evil man.

Probably confusing lists.   If you ask for a CLI and a new card within 60 days, you get put on the no-fly list.  But Amex is still ok.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.