cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you ask for a CLI too many times?

tag
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Re: Can you ask for a CLI too many times?

@Spider15 wrote:
Themanwhocan - that CL on your AX appears to have increased. Selling out to AX Smiley Wink

Are you referring to the $23K limit on the American Express card that I hardly ever use? Its one of the cards that i'll be asking for another CLI on in another 1-2 months. Its a SP after all.

What you should have noticed is that my Freedom is no longer at $6000, nowit is 17,900. I closed a CSP and combined the limits. After spending the $400 signup bonus of course.  I had the CSP for 8 months.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@Spider15 wrote:
Themanwhocan - that CL on your AX appears to have increased. Selling out to AX Smiley Wink

Are you referring to the $23K limit on the American Express card that I hardly ever use? Its one of the cards that i'll be asking for another CLI on in another 1-2 months. Its a SP after all.

What you should have noticed is that my Freedom is no longer at $6000, nowit is 17,900. I closed a CSP and combined the limits. After spending the $400 signup bonus of course.  I had the CSP for 8 months.

Your right ... it was the Chase Freedom!

Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

If it were me I wouldn't worry about getting CLI's right now. If you have enought credit that allows your utilization not to spike (which it sounds like you do) I'd just sit tight, continue to use the cards and give your overall profile time to age. I'm the same age as you and I understand the need to have a great score, but at this point the only thing I think that would help you is time. Just continue to keep UTI low, pay on time, and not apply for new credit. Like @themanwhocan said, it hurts if you get approved or not, just a few weeks ago I app'd for a pre approved offer from Citi and was denied based on the number of inquiries, that was the only thing the letter said and my fico is a 730. So even if you have a good score, no derog, and perfect in full payments you can still be denied a card approval, CLI, or lower APR.
Message 13 of 17
score_building
Senior Contributor

Slow down turbo...carrying ANY balance on more than 1/2 of revolving or more than 1/2 of all accounts dings FICO and can be worrisome to lenders.

@yfan wrote:

No, carrying small balances won't hurt your chances of CLI. But why pay a penny in interest if you don't have to?

Credit limits (and its increrases) are a function of income, credit history, and your history with the specific lender. A score alone isn't enough. Lenders are far more inclined to give someone with an established credit file and good payment history an increase even if they have mediocre scores than to someone who just started having credit but has better scores. The only thing that I can counsel is patience. I know this board can make you impatient. But calm down, be patient, and use the credit you have responsibly.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Someone was recently telling me that Gold Gym got into some kind of legal issues with charging people. Don't know much about it, but you may want to look into that.
Message 15 of 17
taxi818
Super Contributor

Well to answer your question in a simplified way. yes. you can ask for it too many times. from your post. you are not doing the research but just randomly asking for cli. this will never work.

Discover. every 90 days. amex. every 90 days if declined and every 180 days. if approved. so it not just a clicking game. before you click. simply ask what is the waiting time between credit limit increases. others like comenity. almost every month is fine. synchorny. every 4 months is fine. so it depends on the card. but just a little research will help. as far as balances. its ok. in most cases. even with balance.

Message 16 of 17
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Definitely echo that you need to check policies and not just blindly click...Capital One will only do it via luv button if your account is approx 6 months old. You can sometimes override with EO but luv button will never work. Amex is 61 days (sticking to the historical rule) and then after that it's 180 if approved 90 if declined. Discover is every 90 days. Comenity is reported to be every few months; they also will give you "account too new" if you don't wait long enough initially (I think at least 4 months into the account sometimes longer).

While clicking isn't typically harmful to do anyway (although be careful because in some cases you can incur a HP if not paying attention), there's no point in doing it without knowing what you are doing.

Also, besides asking for a CLI too often, you can also hit a ceiling where you have too much available credit vs. income and all that, so don't consider it infinite.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.