cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you be added as authorized user on bank credit line?

tag
CreatureNabi

Can you be added as authorized user on bank credit line?

Hi,

I was wondering if I could help my credit score by being added to my wife's account/credit line at her bank (Citibank - we do joint account at a credit union now, this is her legacy account). Hoping that they can do something similar to having a CC with an authorized user.

She's had it forever, and my total average credit age isn't great, less than 5 years with 4 CCs. I know this credit line definitely helps her average credit age.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Can you be added as authorized user on bank credit line?

Yes just have her add you as an authorized user and presto, youll have her historySmiley Wink

LOL,less than 5 years isnt so bad , we rebuilders and fellow myficoers struggle to break 2 with all the apping we doSmiley Happy.
Message 2 of 6
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Probably not

But if the account could be changed to a joint account, it MIGHT be possible - I wouldn't hold out too much hope, it's different than a credit card as far as being a signer on a checking account
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 3 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I would assume not, but call and ask......

Unless you are rebuilding at the lower rungs, I would think twice about adding an AU, even if it helps your three-digit score.

Improving a score that then is no longer representative of your own credit risk may lead to questions as to its use/value if a prospective creditor does a manual review and sees that your score is not based solely on your own personal history.

AU improvements are not a free lunch.......

Message 4 of 6
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

My bad, i misread the post, sorry OP. Thought it was for her bank cc.
Message 5 of 6
CreatureNabi

Ok. Thanks, seems a longshot.....but maybe I'll try a call to Citibank anyway.

I wish she hadn't cancelled all her CCs before I met her. Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.