cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you ever have too many cash back cards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can you ever have too many cash back cards?

@icyhot wrote:
Yeah I think Citi is flexible but they won't budge on the 12 month waiting period. I'd so change it now

Since you have to wait after 12 months to PC the card, are you able to have them not charge or credit back the annual fee? I'm not sure if the AF hits exactly at the 12 month mark or a bit later, but curious as to how it works.

Message 21 of 26
icyhot
Valued Contributor

I've heard of this happening, I can't remember from which lender tho
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 22 of 26
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm in the exact same spot as you right now-- Citi AAdvantage card with AF coming up soon, Fidelity Amex, and the BOA 3-2-1 card. I see no need to hang on to the Citi AAdvantage, especially since I already have the Barclays Aviator AAdvantage which in my opinion is a superior product (and they do nice spending bonus programs from time to time to keep you spending, which Citi doesn't!) 

I have heard that Citi very easily and regularly waives the AF on AA cards.  So many people believe the Citi card will actually turn out to be more worthwhile, since Barclay's isn't known to waive AF's.

Message 23 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sillykitty1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm in the exact same spot as you right now-- Citi AAdvantage card with AF coming up soon, Fidelity Amex, and the BOA 3-2-1 card. I see no need to hang on to the Citi AAdvantage, especially since I already have the Barclays Aviator AAdvantage which in my opinion is a superior product (and they do nice spending bonus programs from time to time to keep you spending, which Citi doesn't!) 

I have heard that Citi very easily and regularly waives the AF on AA cards.  So many people believe the Citi card will actually turn out to be more worthwhile, since Barclay's isn't known to waive AF's.

Interesting, thanks for the insight. Counterpoint though, is that many Aviators get 10K miles free on the anniversary date (I'm one of them) so paying the AF on the Barclays is actually well worth it. Last November my Aviator (then called US Airways) renewed and they not only gave me the 10K anniversary miles, but offered me 15K in additional bonus miles to put $500 a month for 3 months on the card. 25,000 miles is enough for a round-trip US flight and only cost $89, I'll take it :-D

Message 24 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

A cash back rotating category card, a cash back general spending card, plus a card for categories I'd use a lot (Gas and Groceries) would be plenty for me.  

Message 25 of 26
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Waived for life or just that year?
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.