cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you freeze reports to manipulate which CCC pulls who?

tag
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Can you freeze reports to manipulate which CCC pulls who?

I saw a post earlier about freezing a credit report. My TU is my worst, about 50 points lower than the others. If I put a freeze on it, would they have to pull EX or EQ?

Is this ethical?

It's just something that dawned on me.
Here we go again...
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can you freeze reports to manipulate which CCC pulls who?

FretlessMayhem wrote:
I saw a post earlier about freezing a credit report. My TU is my worst, about 50 points lower than the others. If I put a freeze on it, would they have to pull EX or EQ?

Is this ethical?

Ethical?  Opinions will vary of course, but I think it pushes the envelope.  In the end that's for you to decide.

It doesn't work for all lenders.  Some will pull an alternative report if the one they want is frozen, and some will simply deny.

Message 2 of 5
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

cheddar wrote:

FretlessMayhem wrote:

Is this ethical?

Ethical?  Opinions will vary of course, but I think it pushes the envelope.  In the end that's for you to decide.

It doesn't work for all lenders.  Some will pull an alternative report if the one they want is frozen, and some will simply deny.

Chances are high that they would decline the app. Most of them used to pull one CR or other CR. The idea of freezing the app is to avoid any malicious activity by others on the CR.
Message 3 of 5
fused
Moderator Emeritus

I am very familiar with this tactic! Ethics...this is borderline!
Message 4 of 5
marty56
Super Contributor

While I would not do this myself I know the mortgage companies and car lenders take the middle score. Also I  would guess that for most people, all 3 reports contain the same derog info

I would not do this.  If you have an American Express card or someone who also looks at your CR regularly, that might spook them into canceling your card or lowering your CL.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.