cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you get Inq's removed from your credit report?

tag
Crossdivided
Established Contributor

Re: Can you get Inq's removed from your credit report?

In LawStudentCivilis' case, you'd have to dispute that they had PP. if you don't use the PP terminology you'll just get the "a HP is a factual record of..." form letter back.
Message 11 of 18
CS800
Super Contributor

the impact on the score itself is minor. I think it stops affection your score at the 6 months mark. But after 1 year it becomes irrelevant unless you're Barclays, then they CLd you for having too many inqs Smiley Wink

2 years is not a long time to wait. Couple of more gray hairs on your head and the inqs are gone

Message 12 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

the impact on the score itself is minor. I think it stops affection your score at the 6 months mark. But after 1 year it becomes irrelevant unless you're Barclays, then they CLd you for having too many inqs Smiley Wink

2 years is not a long time to wait. Couple of more gray hairs on your head and the inqs are gone

Officially, the score impact goes away fully at 12 months.   It does decrease over time but the schedule, as far as I know, is not documented.   But experience does suggest that after 6 months (and probably also at 3 months) there is a noticeable reduction in score impact.

Message 13 of 18
shane82388
Established Contributor

To be honest, its not the score impact that really worries me...I mean whats the worst that could happen? Your score drops about 5 points (average hit?) and the creeps up by a point or two every month after that? No biggies.

The issue is when you get declined for something that should of otherwise been approved for just becuase you have inquiries showing....even if they are 6,12,18 months old.

Message 14 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Yes, as CS alluded to, it sort of depends on the issuer.  Some don't look at any older than 6 months (if you are a risk because you are urgently seeking credit, stuff more than 6 months old doesn't really count.  Do you have lots of inqs in the last month is more of a danger sign).  Others, like Barclays, may look at everything on the credit report.   

If you are apping with one of them, then time is the only (legitimate) way, assuming that all the inqs were justified.

Message 15 of 18
enharu
Super Contributor

@shane82388 wrote:

To be honest, its not the score impact that really worries me...I mean whats the worst that could happen? Your score drops about 5 points (average hit?) and the creeps up by a point or two every month after that? No biggies.

The issue is when you get declined for something that should of otherwise been approved for just becuase you have inquiries showing....even if they are 6,12,18 months old.

It's not really the lender's fault for declining you based upon an inquiry that is 6, 12, 18, or even 23 months old.

The inquiry is there because you were seeking credit at that point in time. If you didn't seek any credit 6, 12, 18, or 23 months ago, there wouldn't be an inquiry, and the possibility of you getting denied for something that otherwise would have been "approved for just because you have inquiries showing...even if they are 6, 12, 18 months old" is non-existent. 

Look at it from this perspective. Instead of an inquiry, let's talk about a collection account showing on one's CR.

@Anonymous wrote:

To be honest, its not the score impact that really worries me...I mean whats the worst that could happen? Your score drops about 150 points (average hit?) and the creeps up by a point or two every month after that? No biggies.

The issue is when you get declined for something that should of otherwise been approved for just becuase you have collection account(s) showing....even if they are 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. years old.

See what I mean?
If based upon your logic that inquiries should not matter after 6 months, BKs, collections, late records shouldn't matter after 1-3 years too even though they remain on the CR. That obviously would defeat the purpose of why all that info is even on your CR. Whatever is on your CR is "supposed" to affect you for the duration it is on file.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 16 of 18
shane82388
Established Contributor

@enharu wrote:

@shane82388 wrote:

It's not really the lender's fault for declining you based upon an inquiry that is 6, 12, 18, or even 23 months old.

The inquiry is there because you were seeking credit at that point in time. If you didn't seek any credit 6, 12, 18, or 23 months ago, there wouldn't be an inquiry, and the possibility of you getting denied for something that otherwise would have been "approved for just because you have inquiries showing...even if they are 6, 12, 18 months old" is non-existent. 

Look at it from this perspective. Instead of an inquiry, let's talk about a collection account showing on one's CR.

@Anonymous wrote:

To be honest, its not the score impact that really worries me...I mean whats the worst that could happen? Your score drops about 150 points (average hit?) and the creeps up by a point or two every month after that? No biggies.

The issue is when you get declined for something that should of otherwise been approved for just becuase you have collection account(s) showing....even if they are 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. years old.

See what I mean?
If based upon your logic that inquiries should not matter after 6 months, BKs, collections, late records shouldn't matter after 1-3 years too even though they remain on the CR. That obviously would defeat the purpose of why all that info is even on your CR. Whatever is on your CR is "supposed" to affect you for the duration it is on file.

I'm not really sure i get what you are trying to say...?

There is a big difference between an inquiry and a collections account.

All im saying is i'd be more concerned about being auto declined because of inquiries showing (PERIOD) than its effect on my actual score - which is usually pretty minimal. Its not the lenders fault who declined you due to inquiries showing...im just saying, strategically, it could be an issue if all other factors were unchanged except for those extra inquries showing.

Message 17 of 18
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Excessive inq's can be viewed by a potential lender as risky, hungry for credit. The lender is within their right to decline any app in which they feel is a risk to their institution. The ding to your credit is not as severe as a collection. it's the overall stability of an apps credit profile which ultimately determines the lenders acceptable risk threshold.
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.