cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you get the signup bonus as an existing Amex cardholder?

tag
NewSurrender
Contributor

Can you get the signup bonus as an existing Amex cardholder?

Can't remember where, but I read that if you apply for another Amex card while you're logged in, you're not eligible for any signup bonuses, since it's for new cardholders only.

When I do apply for my BCP, I'd like to do while signed in, since in case I get denied (small chance by that time, I think, but you never know), it'll only be a SP, but if I have to forfeit the $150, I'd rather just take the risk.

Any insight on this? Sorry for the silly question, just wanted to clear this up.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Smerri1029
Regular Contributor

Re: Can you get the signup bonus as an existing Amex cardholder?

Correct. If you are logged in as an "existing customer" then you are not eligable for any signup bonus. If you are logged out and just apply you are. Me personally, I'd rather the signup bonus (sometimes it's the only point of signing up for a card).

What's In My Wallet:American Express Starwood Preferred Guest Business Card, American Express Costco True Earnings, Citi AA Visa, Barclays US Air, Citi Prestige
What's In My Sock Drawer: Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More, Bank of America Accelerated Rewards AmEx, SME FCU Visa
Message 2 of 5
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

@Smerri1029 wrote:

Correct. If you are logged in as an "existing customer" then you are not eligable for any signup bonus. If you are logged out and just apply you are. Me personally, I'd rather the signup bonus (sometimes it's the only point of signing up for a card).

I don't know if it is true that you are not eligible for ANY signup bonus. The AMEX Gold and Plat specifically state that you cannot get the bonus if you have had those cards within the past 90 days.When I received my BCP in March (already had Gold PR, and Hilton Honors, and Delta) I still got the $150 bonus. Also received HH sign up bonus when I got the card (60k miles) even though I already had the other cards. These apps were done while signed in on the website. Read the fine print on the app, and/or call customer service to confirm. I have read that sometimes you may not be eligible for the bonuses, but they will give you them to you if you talk to them nicely.

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 3 of 5
NewSurrender
Contributor

So what's the consensus? If it's the first time I'm applying for a particular card, will I get the sign up bonus regardless of whether or not I'm signed in, or does that vary from card to card?

Message 4 of 5
Open123
Super Contributor

@NewSurrender wrote:

So what's the consensus? If it's the first time I'm applying for a particular card, will I get the sign up bonus regardless of whether or not I'm signed in, or does that vary from card to card?

Usually, when logged into your existing cardmember account, many of the signup bonus id codes will not prefill or reflect on your sign up page.  All things being equal, with Amex, it is always best to apply when not logged into your account with cookies cleared to ensure you will receive a particular sign up bonus.

One way to receive the sign up bonus as an existing member is to call in and apply with a CSR over the phone.  If you mention the bonus id code, they will often help you apply as an existing member with the bonus reflected by your code.

In short, if you prefer online, do not apply as an existing member or upgrade (unless specificially targetted).  If you prefer to apply as an existing member, then call into and app with a CSR.  

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.