tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Can you have 2 BCPs?

@09Lexie wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

@KennyS2006 wrote:
Does Amex ever accept just pulling EQ? Or do they have to pull EX? I wonder if you have EX and TU locked can they just pull EQ you think?

Just a FYI, 

Locking a report so that a lender is forced to pull a more favorable CB is considered unethical

~Lexie

OK, last time I thought this was considered more borderline.  

The issuer isn't forced to pull to go along with this, they can decline, they can ask you to unlock etc, so I don't get this is any more unethical than say maximizing your Fico by paying in full before the statement cuts (which really is hiding your spending to some extent!).  But you are the mod....

It is if the intent is to hide derogs/high inq's on one bureau Chances are your util will be the same across all three bureaus.  

OK, I guess we won't agree on this!   As I said, I don't see a problem because the issuer can always refuse and demand to see their "usual" CRA.   So how about the posts looking for issuers who just pull TU, because that is their best report?    Is that really different?  Because the person hasn't taken explicit action to change the usual behavior of an issuer?

I just think these things are complex, and labelling certain behavior unethical seems harsh.

Message 21 of 30
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@longtimelurker wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

@KennyS2006 wrote:
Does Amex ever accept just pulling EQ? Or do they have to pull EX? I wonder if you have EX and TU locked can they just pull EQ you think?

Just a FYI, 

Locking a report so that a lender is forced to pull a more favorable CB is considered unethical

~Lexie

The issuer isn't forced to pull to go along with this, they can decline, they can ask you to unlock etc, so I don't get this is any more unethical than say maximizing your Fico by paying in full before the statement cuts (which really is hiding your spending to some extent!).  But you are the mod....

It is if the intent is to hide derogs/high inq's on one bureau Chances are your util will be the same across all three bureaus.  

OK, I guess we won't agree on this!   As I said, I don't see a problem because the issuer can always refuse and demand to see their "usual" CRA.   So how about the posts looking for issuers who just pull TU, because that is their best report?    Is that really different?  Because the person hasn't taken explicit action to change the usual behavior of an issuer?

I just think these things are complex, and labelling certain behavior unethical seems harsh.

Exactly.  

Message 22 of 30
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@09Lexie wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

@KennyS2006 wrote:

Just a FYI, 

~Lexie

Exactly.  

Is willful misrepresentation of the truth a lie?

I personally see this as different and worse than simply only telling the portions of the truth which benefit you, which is a lighter shade of gray in my world at least.  To give the relevant example: if a lender pulls my EQ report, I'm not going to tell them about the IRS tax lien which isn't on it; however, if they pull EX/TU that's their choice and I'm not going to block it.   Admittedly I'm of the opinion just about any derogatory can be gotten around when it comes to obtaining credit, some more easily than others but both Chase and Amex know the full deal in my case and neither has apparently penalized me for it.

That said, looking from a FICO angle: anything which manipuates the system fraudulently (harsh terminology I admit, and I agree it is a complex issue) is unethical and not to be discussed, and this is a clear example of such in my opinion; we can bring the discussion up with the admins and FICO employees again but I suspect it'll go exactly the same way as every similar topic which is brought to their attention.

        
Message 23 of 30
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Thanks, I am of course certainly willing to accept "those are the rules".   Just a little less willing to accept the correctness of the argument, again mainly because the issuer has a clear choice, and they can demand to see the missing report as a condition of continuing with the application.  In contrast, hacking the system and deleting bad material, or replacing your report with another, clearly is deceptive because the issuer then makes a decision based on bad information.   Here they have a choice, and as we have seen, some issuers do demand unlocking.

Now all off topic, so I will stop!

Message 24 of 30
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

A rep told me and actually tried to convinced me to get a BCP to compliment my BCE. Lol
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 25 of 30
DaylightSlaving
Regular Contributor

@kkapdolee wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

@kkapdolee wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

While there may be rules preventing it, there doesn't seem any obvious reason why not.   If Amex is happy to give 6% on $6k for $75 for a single card, presumably the same value proposition would apply to both.  I can see them not allowing a bonus on the second card.  

I was interested in getting another BCX  till I saw this article

http://millionmilesecrets.com/2013/12/12/amazon-sells-gift-cards-to-other-stores/

My major grocery costs are at Whole Foods, which is one of the gift cards Amazon sells.  So with two Sallie Mae, we can spend $500 a month directly, and buy $1500 in WF gift cards a month, and even in bad years we manage to spend less than $24,000 + $6K (BCP) there!

I think Amex is happy giving 6% on 6k for $75 under the assumption that you won't use it soley on groceries. If one were to ask for the second BCP that person is obviously spending a ton at grocery stores and that could be a definite money loser to Amex in the long run.

@09Lexie wrote:

@kkapdolee wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

@kkapdolee wrote:

I know Chase allows you to have both a CS and a CSP (I have both) but I heard Amex doesn't allow both a BCE and BCP.

Then, can you have 2 BCPs and pay two AFs to take advantage of 12,000 in 6% groceries or have two BCEs somehow?

You can have a BCE/BCP

IIRC, a friend of mine had his BCP closed by Amex when he applied and got his BCE but maybe I'm remembering it wrong.

Is getting two BCE or two BCP not possible?

Idk about two of the same because of the caps. You can have one of each

Someone else can chime in 

Do you mind giving the source of your information? Do you personally have both BCE and BCP?

My friend just confirmed that Amex has closed his BCP account when he applied and got his BCE.

Maybe things have changed since then?

I can't see how it would be any different in having a Blue, BlueSky and/or BCE.

Just like have a charge of every color -Green, Gold or Plat.  

Your friend may have exceeded the amount of personal cards

My friend had almost 20 years of credit history with no baddies and only 2 credit cards at the time which he has never asked for a single CLI. He has one card with 1k limit and another with 8k (BCP) and he makes 130k+. I don't think he exceeded any maximum credit limit...

EDIT: He says his EQ 04 Classic score during that time was 782 and his 08 Classic scores likely higher.

Blue, Blue Sky, and BCE are all different cards. I got both Blue Sky and BCE with no problem. Same goes for Green, Glod, and Plat. They're different cards. However, I think the relationship between BCE and BCP are a little different. BCP is like the upgraded paid version of BCE whereas Blue Sky is intended for completely different use. It's kinda like Chase's CS and CSP except Chase allows both but then again Chase lets people have 2 or even 3 Chase Freedom cards simultaneously.

Is there anyone who was actually able to get a combination of multiple BCE/BCP?

Honestly, it appears as though you're certain the answer is a definitive NO. We can speculate all day as to whether or not your friend did something wrong, or visa versa. But, maybe you should just call them? It's a straightforward question.

You've been getting what you asked for; a few people have already confirmed that you can have the cards, so what's the deal?

Last App: 12/25/2013
TU: 743 (Discover) Ex: 718 (CS) Goal: 760+ Across All
Gardening Until 6/25/14+
Message 26 of 30
kkapdolee
Frequent Contributor

@DaylightSlaving wrote:

@kkapdolee wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

@kkapdolee wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

While there may be rules preventing it, there doesn't seem any obvious reason why not.   If Amex is happy to give 6% on $6k for $75 for a single card, presumably the same value proposition would apply to both.  I can see them not allowing a bonus on the second card.  

http://millionmilesecrets.com/2013/12/12/amazon-sells-gift-cards-to-other-stores/

My major grocery costs are at Whole Foods, which is one of the gift cards Amazon sells.  So with two Sallie Mae, we can spend $500 a month directly, and buy $1500 in WF gift cards a month, and even in bad years we manage to spend less than $24,000 + $6K (BCP) there!

I think Amex is happy giving 6% on 6k for $75 under the assumption that you won't use it soley on groceries. If one were to ask for the second BCP that person is obviously spending a ton at grocery stores and that could be a definite money loser to Amex in the long run.

@09Lexie wrote:

@kkapdolee wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

@kkapdolee wrote:

I know Chase allows you to have both a CS and a CSP (I have both) but I heard Amex doesn't allow both a BCE and BCP.

Then, can you have 2 BCPs and pay two AFs to take advantage of 12,000 in 6% groceries or have two BCEs somehow?

You can have a BCE/BCP

IIRC, a friend of mine had his BCP closed by Amex when he applied and got his BCE but maybe I'm remembering it wrong.

Do you mind giving the source of your information? Do you personally have both BCE and BCP?

My friend just confirmed that Amex has closed his BCP account when he applied and got his BCE.

My friend had almost 20 years of credit history with no baddies and only 2 credit cards at the time which he has never asked for a single CLI. He has one card with 1k limit and another with 8k (BCP) and he makes 130k+. I don't think he exceeded any maximum credit limit...

EDIT: He says his EQ 04 Classic score during that time was 782 and his 08 Classic scores likely higher.

Blue, Blue Sky, and BCE are all different cards. I got both Blue Sky and BCE with no problem. Same goes for Green, Glod, and Plat. They're different cards. However, I think the relationship between BCE and BCP are a little different. BCP is like the upgraded paid version of BCE whereas Blue Sky is intended for completely different use. It's kinda like Chase's CS and CSP except Chase allows both but then again Chase lets people have 2 or even 3 Chase Freedom cards simultaneously.

Honestly, it appears as though you're certain the answer is a definitive NO. We can speculate all day as to whether or not your friend did something wrong, or visa versa. But, maybe you should just call them? It's a straightforward question.

You've been getting what you asked for; a few people have already confirmed that you can have the cards, so what's the deal?

Well on one occasion, I've had an Amex rep tell me she has no clue about the 61day 3X CLI so I spoke to her supervisor and she swore that there is a 61day rule but that's for each card and there is no 6 month rule. She said, and I confirmed with her multiple times, that you can ask for a CLI for each of your Amex cards every 61 days.

Later on, I found on thier website explicitely displayed the 61day + 6month + one card per account rule (albeit no 3X rule) and contemplated filing a complaint against the rep and supervisor but was advised against it by members here saying it's a waste of time and that's just the way Amex reps are now.

So in short, I appreciate the members who have took the trouble to call the reps but I do not trust what the reps say and I am not willing to add another tradeline and lower my AAoA to find out the answer. I do have a friend who got his BCP closed when opening BCE and you're right, his situation might have been special. That's why I said "Is there anyone who was actually able to get a combination of multiple BCE/BCP?" If you're NOT that person, I suggest you move on.

[10%+] Internet, Cable, Cell phone
[5%] Gas, Grocery, Amazon, Airline tickets, Drug Stores, Dept. Stores, Target, MyHabit
[3%] Restaurants
[2%] Everything Else
Message 27 of 30
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@kkapdolee wrote:

@DaylightSlaving wrote:

@kkapdolee wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

@kkapdolee wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

@kkapdolee wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

@kkapdolee wrote:

You can have a BCE/BCP

Well on one occasion, I've had an Amex rep telling me she has no clue about the 61day 3X CLI so I spoke to her supervisor and she swore that there is a 61day rule but that's for each card and there is no 6 month rule. She said, and I confirmed with her multiple times, that you can ask for a CLI for each of your Amex cards every 61 days.

Later on, I found on thier website explicitely displayed the 61day + 6month + one card per account rule (albeit no 3X rule) and contemplated filing a complaint against the rep and supervisor but was advised against it by members here saying it's a waste of time and that's just the way Amex reps are now.

So in short, I appreciate the members who have took the trouble to call the reps but I do not trust what the reps say and I am not willing to add another tradeline and lower my AAoA to find out the answer. I do have a friend who got his BCP closed when opening BCE and you're right, his situation might have been special. That's why I said "Is there anyone who was actually able to get a combination of multiple BCE/BCP?" If you're NOT that person, I suggest you move on.

Wow.

Message 28 of 30
kkapdolee
Frequent Contributor

I'm sorry if I sounded mean. I'm just coming from a rather unfriendly car enthusiast forum and carried along the mean spirit with me to the nicest forum I've ever seen. Smiley Sad

Again, sorry and thank you everyone for trying to find the ansewr.

[10%+] Internet, Cable, Cell phone
[5%] Gas, Grocery, Amazon, Airline tickets, Drug Stores, Dept. Stores, Target, MyHabit
[3%] Restaurants
[2%] Everything Else
Message 29 of 30
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@kkapdolee wrote:

I'm sorry if I sounded mean. I'm just coming from a rather unfriendly car enthusiast forum and carried along the mean spirit with me to the nicest forum I've ever seen. Smiley Sad

Again, sorry and thank you everyone for trying to find the ansewr.

Young was offered the BCP (he has the BCE)  a few months ago my DH was offered the BCE to compliment his BCP.  In Jan, he'll probably add it but all things considered, all we can do is give you our experiences.  

Your friend was shut down for having or opening a BCE, with all due respect your concerns appear to be based on his experience.  CSR's can make mistakes but unless they (Amex) specifically state a limitation in their T&C -which they have not- your friend should be arguing to have his account reopened. 

Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.