Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you help me manage this debt?

tag
MyDataMyChoice
Valued Contributor

Re: Can you help me manage this debt?

@dize wrote:

I want to chime in on the grocery budget. I am linking a video of  a bodybuilder showing you how to eat on just $50 a week. Keep in mind this is a bodybuilder, he will likely be eating WAY more than you are. The point of this video is to show an example of how to eat all the nutrition you need on a very low budget.  This should help give you some ideas on how to get that $500 grocery budget into the $3-400 range. It won't be fun or enjoyable, but it is much preferable to being in debt, in my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8pC1l_FegM

I really should do this myself... I EAT OUT Way too much.... i spend about 40/day eating out

10 morning breakfast and coffee

10 for lunch

10 for dinner

plus tax and tip...

coffes etc...

It ADDS UP

PLUS all the extra money spent on clothing when I gain weight Smiley Sad LOL

Message 41 of 66
MoreRewards
Established Contributor

I can feed 5 people on $400. I'm going to check out that video tomorrow though. Sounds interesting.
EQ 773 * EX 786 * TU 797
Message 42 of 66
dize
Regular Contributor

There are a few more videos in the series as well. I actually like the one with evan centopani a bit more, but the point is, it is pretty easy to feed yourself on a budget, you just can't be overly picky.

Message 43 of 66
joedtx
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@joedtx wrote:

Have you considered checking with another credit union for a Debt Consolidation program. I know NFCU doesn't offer it but Security Service does and it is for a fixed interest rate that's 1/2 or less than what you are paying now multiplied times each card.You can most likely do it if you are current on all trade lines and your current score is decent. Shop around and see what is available locally a single payment is great but paying down all the debt at once would be ideal. Best of Luck Smiley Happy

I will have to look in to that. I keep reading the debt consolidation loans are a no no, but I am not THAT well versed in knowing how if there are some legit ones that will help us make headway. 

Ok let me explain the differences Debt Consolidation as in the ones you see on TV are more profitcentric products that take YEARS to pay back.

I mentioned the program from SSFCU because it actually is a program designed around credit cards. They basically take record of all your CC debit and they pay them off directly, you agree not to use those lines until it paid off because this is a helping hand program. They don't try to put the squeeze on the creditors by asking for reductions in the balance owed they simply take your bills and pay them and you get a simple interest loan with an agreement you won't break your promise by running them up again. You keep your good record avoid all that interest from multiple cards and get a payment that you can probably pay extra on and live comfortably. Thats the credit union difference check locally and see there is a similar program to help you get back on track. Good Luck!

Here's a link https://www.ssfcu.org/en-us/loans-credit/personal-loans/Pages/debt-consolidation.aspx 

Message 44 of 66
Bman70
Established Contributor

Yearly income around $50,000-55,000
Total Debt: $38,000

Rent: 1,100

Health Insurance: 165.00

Phone: $100 (after taxes)

Prek: $198

Utilites: Approx $300

Netflix: 8.53

Internet: $64 (It used to be $80, we negotiated down. My husband has to have this level of internet for his work)

Food: $500

Gas: $350

Medical: (RX, Copays, etc) $200

Household (Toilet paper, toothpaste, shampoo etc) $100

Things that bound to come up in a month that fluxuate $100-$300 to be safe.

Then I'm sure there will be times when we eat out, need to buy a gift, etc etc etc I will also need to buy clothes for my growing child and I do try to get it one clearange or 2nd hand to help cut costs down. 

Total:

$3385

So at $1k a month, you have some 3.5 years not calculating for interest. That could go really fast, and then you're done vs. 10 years recovering from BK.

I would put debt 3 on the Slate, just to get rid of one of your higher interest rates. 

Did you calculate in any tax returns? If you put every extra lump toward the debt it helps. Personally, I would use the $2k "retirement" for paying off the other 20%APR card. Save for retirement later, it's only a few years' wait and you need to strike this debt as hard as you can. 

I just got done with almost a year of paying off debt. From what I learned, a large % of success is psychological. Also, positive changes happen that are really beneficial, mentally and financially. I wouldn't take back the experience at all, because I feel 100% more confident in handling money than before I started. There's something about the discipline and sacrifice, and then seeing your FICO go up and up too, that just feels great. Spending so much money responsibly on debt, makes you feel much more able to spend big on yourself when the time comes, too. 

Another thing I learned: Every three months or so, give yourself a reward. Work out the amount and frequency yourself, but it should be at least $200. So on the fourth month, instead of paying $1000 to debt, pay only $700 and use the other $300 on something totally fun, refreshing, or romantic. A night in a B&B or spending it all at the fanciest resturant around. You will really see the benefit of this after a while, since getting burned out and exhausted with debt payments actually can lead to the whole thing derailing. This is a long haul, you're committing your life to it for a while, so make sure your life isn't unpleasant over it. Remember you're doing something really responsible and good, it's not a punishment, so you should feel good about yourself during it. These milestones will also give you something to look forward to. Trust me. Smiley Wink

I also learned a lot about cooking, which I still do even with my debt paid off. I got a bread machine and make all our bread. With a slow cooker, I designed recipes that cost $5 and makes dinner for two or three nights. So if you need something like a slow cooker, bread machine, etc. don't hesitate to buy them. 

You've done pretty good with your budget. Food could go lower some months, I've done $350 or less for 2 of us. This gets better with practice, don't deprive yourself. Medical seems high if you're healthy.. what copays and RX are every month? I've only had copays a few times a year. For two of us I've managed household stuff around $30-50. Utilities seems high - mine rarely cracks $90, and my rent is near yours. "Things that are bound to come up".. this is a tricky category. If you budget for it, it will come up! I noticed this, so I spent that "extras" money on debt instead. Then far fewer things came up. Smiley Happy If you put that on the debt, then you will really think twice when something "comes up" because your only recourse is to put in on the credit card and you won't want to do that. Well, best of luck, if you decide to do this you will learn a lot and probably be glad you did. 

EX 822
TU 834
EQ 820

Message 45 of 66
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MoreRewards wrote:
I think groceries is something that can be cut. To my understanding toys is a family of 3? $500 seems kind of high. I know food cost varies place to place but you can cut some of the more expensive stuff and coupons help a lot!

Per month? $125/wk to eat healthy for 3 is actually reasonable if you're not going out to eat otherwise.

Now, If you wanna cut it down to the bone or spend 8-10+hrs a week cutting coupons and haggling at checking counters, You can reduce that by as much as 60%...

Or you could invest in a pallet of ramen... :/

Message 46 of 66
WLRK11
Regular Contributor

Congrats on the little one to come! I'm sure that you're stressed out. The good news is that you know where you stand. You know your income, you know your expenses, and you know your debts to a tee. That's more than most people! Don't worry about the things you can't control like your DH losing his job. 

Don't fret over your lack of savings. You're not alone - most American's have little or nothing saved. 

BK is not your only way out. I would urge you to consider the consequences of BK, especially if you'd like to buy a home in the next decade when your DH graduates. You have a HUGE support network here at myFICO and you WILL get though this. 

Forget about buying gifts. The best gift you can give is your time. Enjoy quality time with the people that matter in your life. If you really feel compelled to give them something, make it. (See: Pinterest). Smiley Happy

Your husband WILL qualify for a federal student loan, and they will be deferred until several months after his graduation. The repayment terms are very generous. PM me for more information on paying for education. I'm actually curious if your DH would qualify for student loans right now. That would allow you to perhaps use the GI money to pay down your debts. 

I would suggest that you and your DH stop funding your retirement. How much are you and your DH each saving for retirement per month? Please let us know the exact figures. Good luck, and congrats again! Don't worry too much, just keep asking questions, keep paying down your debt, and day-by-day, you're that much closer to being debt free! 

Age: 20s | AAoA: 2 yrs | FICO Scores: 700s | Inq: EX: ?, EQ: ?, TR: ? | GARDENING AS OF 06/2014

Message 47 of 66
sreneesa
Frequent Contributor

I feed a family of two on 120-160 a month.  It's all about priorities. It's very possible to cut food budget in half if you really wanted to.

Message 48 of 66
MoreRewards
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@MoreRewards wrote:
I think groceries is something that can be cut. To my understanding toys is a family of 3? $500 seems kind of high. I know food cost varies place to place but you can cut some of the more expensive stuff and coupons help a lot!

Per month? $125/wk to eat healthy for 3 is actually reasonable if you're not going out to eat otherwise.

Now, If you wanna cut it down to the bone or spend 8-10+hrs a week cutting coupons and haggling at checking counters, You can reduce that by as much as 60%...

Or you could invest in a pallet of ramen... :/

It might be reasonable but it can be reduced. Lol I don't spend anywhere near that time on coupons. Who has time like that are you kidding!

EQ 773 * EX 786 * TU 797
Message 49 of 66
1GaDawg85
Valued Contributor

Whatever you, don't go for bankruptcy. I was in your position years ago and wish I had found this board back then because I would have avoided BK and been in a better position. 

FICO 5 ,4, 2 - 10/2023                            FICO 8 - 10/2023                                   FICO 9 - 10/2023                                   FICO 10 - 10/2023

Message 50 of 66
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.