cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you make too many payments too a card?

tag
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: Can you make too many payments too a card?

Some CCCs limit the number of payments you can make withing a certain timeframe.  PNC does this.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 11 of 36
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@marty56 wrote:

Some CCCs limit the number of payments you can make withing a certain timeframe.  PNC does this.

Can always push a payment and they can't limit that, but I use pull payments and they certainly can limit that if they so choose.  Only bank I knew of before that that limited payment was Credit One as use to work for them in IT of course PNC as you stated and Amex only for your first statement on a new account.  Sure there are others out there, but as stated pushing payments can be done and overcome that obstacle.

Message 12 of 36
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

With AMEX, the limitations apply to a new payment account and not a new card. And you're not really limited until your payments add up to your statement balance and possibly one prepayment beyond that.

Message 13 of 36
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

I make payments about once a week sometimes more then that if the balance gets high. I also make payments out of multiple accounts at once. Say business charges come out of a different checking account I have just for business reimbursement.

I’ve done this Amex, US bank and starting to with BoA. Never had any problems. Amex will let you run a credit balance and extend you the additional available credit. I got a credit for a return I did in the store. I had already paid that charge off. So for like 4 days. I had a credit line of 2035 when it’s normally 2K

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 14 of 36
SkyCommander
Frequent Contributor

I've pushed a lot of payments from Discover Checking (now using Chase) 10-20 payments a month. I know it's overkill and weird but it's a habit I had since Discover used give you 10 cents a bill pay. I would use that as incentive to pay each charge. I don't pad my CL I add up the charges and pay exactly that amount with receipts. It helped me spot a fradulent charge cashier added their own tip to my food order.

Chase Hyatt | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase Freedom Unlimited | Amex ED | Amex Hilton | Amex Bonvoy | BoA Amtrak | CapOne Quicksilver
Message 15 of 36
OmarR
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

FWIW, someone I know who works as an underwriter said that their (tiny local) bank considers a person who pays things off every few days as "not a responsible user of credit".

Their reasoning is that a person who can manage balances and payment schedules, etc is more responsible to them than someone who is scared and pays constantly.  It's a "lol" situation but this is a tiny community bank, not a huge one.

You know what's so silly about that underwriter's statement?

He/She is ASSUMING that someone who is on a different payment schedule (daily, every 3 days, weekly, etc) is acting out of "being scared" or some kind of panic and/or lack of self-control.

I pay my CC a MINIMUM of once per week, which means at least 4 times per billing cycle. In reality, it ends up being between 5-10 times each month. If I make a large purchase, I pay it off as soon as that big amount posts.

That is simply MY schedule. MY method of supervision. MY method of catching improper transaction amounts & fraud.

ABCD, you LOL'ed at the underwriter's statement, so I know you don't agree with it. If my CC flagged me for my multiple payment methods, I would cancel them in a heartbeat and and go with someone else.

EQ=850   EX=845   TU=843       0/24       UTIL=$1    AZEO

Message 16 of 36
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@HeavenOhio wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I wish we had a master thread on any lenders who let you overpay and let you "extend" your limit that way.

I almost had a chance to test that with AMEX recently. I paid my current balance plus the one pending charge. But the pending posted at the same time the payment did. It would have been interesting to see what my available credit would have been had the pending charge waited a day to post.

I think what's more likely to happen is that one's available credit will behave the same way whether one's current balance is positive or negative. Pending charges will still be deducted from one's available credit until they post. However, once charges post, available credit will be restored as usual. You wouldn't necessarily be extending your limit by paying in advance. But you'd be eliminating processing time in getting your limit back.

+1

I can confirm that Capital One still operates this way.

Back in the summer I tried to make a payment from my WF account using their mobile app, and I got an error message.  Instead of fooling with it I made the payment from USAA instead, with the intent of transferring the funds over from WF later.  The next day I realized the payment at WF had actually been submitted successfully, so I had sent Capital One two identical payments for the month.  Smiley Frustrated

The amount was just north of $1.5k, and thankfully I was in a position to 'float' that much a second time without being in a bind.  Over the next few weeks, I had a credit balance for the amount of the overpayment, but my available credit was never more than my usual credit limit. 

As charges would be made my available credit would be reduced, then once the charge posted the credit balance would be reduced (and the available credit restored). 

I can also share that 'back in the day' with an Orchard Bank card (that's now my Capital One QS MC) I once needed to make a purchase that was more than my credit line.  I called to see if I could make a payment to create a credit balance then charge against it and was told that it wouldn't work, and that any charges over my credit line would be denied; the CSR then suggested a CLI.  (This was one of the two times that card got a CLI when it was still HBSC - they gave me an extra $250, which at the time was significant.)

Later on I read up on 'bust-out fraud' and the reasoning behind not allowing a prepayment to artificially increase a credit line made sense.

Message 17 of 36
Chickenpotpie
Frequent Contributor

None of the banks I work with care.  lol    If they all of a sudden started to, I'd look for one who didn't 

Message 18 of 36
arkane
Established Contributor

@marty56 wrote:

Same with Discover. If you make payments more frequently than every 3 days (or perhaps 3 business days), they'll put a  7 day "soft hold" on your account in that the payment will be credited against the outstanding balance, but won't restore your credit limit.

I only know this because they give you clear warning then scheduling a (pull) payment if you attempt to pay too frequently, so you'll never be caught blindsided.

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 19 of 36
arkane
Established Contributor

@OmarR wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

FWIW, someone I know who works as an underwriter said that their (tiny local) bank considers a person who pays things off every few days as "not a responsible user of credit".

Their reasoning is that a person who can manage balances and payment schedules, etc is more responsible to them than someone who is scared and pays constantly.  It's a "lol" situation but this is a tiny community bank, not a huge one.

You know what's so silly about that underwriter's statement?

He/She is ASSUMING that someone who is on a different payment schedule (daily, every 3 days, weekly, etc) is acting out of "being scared" or some kind of panic and/or lack of self-control.

I pay my CC a MINIMUM of once per week, which means at least 4 times per billing cycle. In reality, it ends up being between 5-10 times each month. If I make a large purchase, I pay it off as soon as that big amount posts.

That is simply MY schedule. MY method of supervision. MY method of catching improper transaction amounts & fraud.

ABCD, you LOL'ed at the underwriter's statement, so I know you don't agree with it. If my CC flagged me for my multiple payment methods, I would cancel them in a heartbeat and and go with someone else.

Exactly. My rule of thumb is if a single transaction is >10% of my available limit on that particular card, I pay it off as soon as it posts, Partly out of habit, partly to always keep an optimum util. (actually through experimentation I found my optimum util is around 7%)

That and after recently acquiring 3 new cards, I've been obsessively paying down them as I go to make sure I don't accidentally let more than 1 card report a balance. Complete overkill? Absolutely. But playing the FICO game requires effort. Smiley Happy

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 20 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.